• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SPIDER-MAN Sony-Marvel potential deal OFFICIAL THREAD

351 posts in this topic

Oh Lord!

Drew Goddard Thinks A 'Godzilla' Sized 'Sandman' In SINISTER SIX Could Top DOCTOR STRANGE

--------------------

I'm gonna write him up a note this weekend. But, off the top of my head, some possible talking points are:

- We're doing something different - it's time to celebrate the bad guys for once.

-We're inspired by the classic team/mission of movies: Dirty Dozen, Magnificent Seven, Guns of Navarone. We want that spirit, that SWAGGER.

- If the Spider-Man franchiseis the Beatles, then we're the Sex Pistols.

-Flint Marco is gonna steal the show.

-The character is pure id - the anarchic enthusiast of the team. A chance to have FUN while celebrating being bad.

-Tom embodies that anarchy, that triumphant nihilism - we've seen him tap into that spirit before in roles like Bronson, but now we have the chance to crank the volume up to ELEVEN.

-He's gonna storm through London at the end like God-f***ing-zilla. That is not purple prose. He'sgoing to be AS TALL AS A SKYSCRAPER in the third act of the movie. What does Dr. Strange have? Magic tricks? [frick] you, magic tricks - we've got a skyscraper Tom Hardy knocking down buildings!!!!

--------------------

:ohnoez:

:facepalm:

Oh Lord!

Drew Goddard Thinks A 'Godzilla' Sized 'Sandman' In SINISTER SIX Could Top DOCTOR STRANGE

--------------------

I'm gonna write him up a note this weekend. But, off the top of my head, some possible talking points are:

- We're doing something different - it's time to celebrate the bad guys for once.

-We're inspired by the classic team/mission of movies: Dirty Dozen, Magnificent Seven, Guns of Navarone. We want that spirit, that SWAGGER.

- If the Spider-Man franchiseis the Beatles, then we're the Sex Pistols.

-Flint Marco is gonna steal the show.

-The character is pure id - the anarchic enthusiast of the team. A chance to have FUN while celebrating being bad.

-Tom embodies that anarchy, that triumphant nihilism - we've seen him tap into that spirit before in roles like Bronson, but now we have the chance to crank the volume up to ELEVEN.

-He's gonna storm through London at the end like God-f***ing-zilla. That is not purple prose. He'sgoing to be AS TALL AS A SKYSCRAPER in the third act of the movie. What does Dr. Strange have? Magic tricks? [frick] you, magic tricks - we've got a skyscraper Tom Hardy knocking down buildings!!!!

--------------------

:ohnoez:

First time I'm reading this.

I really don't know what to say here. :facepalm:

Okay, I've thought of something. SONY. You. Don't. Get. It. Just save your damn money because Sandman knocking down buildings won't impress the movie going public and it certainly won't put enough buts in the theater seats to recoup your losses.

Thank thoss hackers for releaseing these e-mails so we the public know what passes as brainstorming in the "brain trust" of SONY execs.

it's just funny how everything in this thread is geared towards the point of view that Sony's movie was poor, and that ultimate hope to have Marvel reclaim the rights.

I never see anything negative posted (by you) in the dozens and dozens of Marvel threads.

Just an observation.

it's just funny how everything in this thread is geared towards the point of view that Sony's movie was poor, and that ultimate hope to have Marvel reclaim the rights.

I never see anything negative posted (by you) in the dozens and dozens of Marvel threads.

Just an observation.

At this point a high percentage of the films being discussed haven't been made yet...

Just an observation.

Actually, you're wrong about having a hard look at the Marvel movies versus other companies. And if you were to go back and look at some of my analysis of CBM, I have pointed out how Batman (1989) was the most profitable move of the bunch while also having a massive impact on our hobby.

Was Batman that came out in 1989 the beginning of movie hype comic speculation?

The latest 2-disc Batman (1989) set has loads of featurettes concerning the making of and post-release results.

- Tim Burton dragged around a beatup copy of Killing Joke as one of his prime influences for the movie.

- Jack Nicholson made Tim Burton and other Warner executives ride horses around his ranch to win him over to star in the movie, knowing Burton was deathly afraid of horses (kind of a :censored: move to make them prove how dedicated they were).

- The movie made so much money, Nicholson made $60 MM in pay and merchandising sales ($114 MM if adjusted for 2014 dollars), which is considered one of the highest actor payouts for a comic book movie.

- Karen Berger is interviewed, and said the movie caused such a demand for Batman comics from new fans they couldn't come up with enough titles quick enough. But what they did publish seemed to saturate the market over time.

Although Superman kicked off how big a comic book movie could be, no other CBM has ever caused such a huge bump in comic book sales leading to massive merchandising and comic book distribution impact.

And when it comes to positive feelings towards other movies, I know which one that jumps high on my personal list.

The Dark Knight: the greatest comic book movie to date?

I just don't make it a point to go company-bashing and select a 'side' between DC and Marvel. But there have been holes in Marvel Studio productions just like any other CBM, and I have noted this previously. Look at 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier'.

- Nick Fury has this powerful laser in his coat when the Winter Soldier attacks his vehicle. So powerful, it can cut a huge hole into the street structure. Yet he doesn't attempt to use it on Winter Soldier?

- Cap and crew are driving down the Washington Beltway in broad daylight, with the Winter Soldier on the roof of their car. Yet nobody alerts them to this that drives by, and Cap doesn't realize until Winter Soldier throws Jasper Sitwell into oncoming traffic?

And when you look at movie analysis on the run rate of Marvel Studios, just look at 'Incredible Hulk' and "Captain America: The First Avenger' and you will easily see low box office numbers compared to all other productions.

How's that?

Have you even watched Amazing Spider-Man 2?

I will when it is available for free, as mass feedback on this here and across the market is how poorly delivered the production was. After reading quite a few reviews on this, and the flaws involved, I don't have to watch it to know this in advance.

And your point is? Other than the number of snide comments you've been making.

Have you even watched Amazing Spider-Man 2?

I will when it is available for free, as mass feedback on this here and across the market is how poorly delivered the production was. After reading quite a few reviews on this, and the flaws involved, I don't have to watch it to know this in advance.

And your point is? Other than the number of snide comments you've been making.

My point is maybe you should watch it, instead of jumping on the bandwagon that the movie was poor. Plenty of board members said differently (maybe not the majority) but enough to suggest it wasn't the abomination that it's been made out to be. You clearly are in favor of Marvel getting the rights back, is that not a correct assumption?