• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SPIDER-MAN Sony-Marvel potential deal OFFICIAL THREAD

351 posts in this topic

You clearly are in favor of Marvel getting the rights back, is that not a correct assumption?

And you're not?

I don't really care one way or the other.

So again, your point is?

And yes. Since Sony has allowed this franchise to sink through mishandling, I would very much rather see it in capable hands. Under Sam Raimi's direction, it was going down a wonderful creative path. And Spider-Man 2 is one of my most appreciated CBM that I own and watch periodically. So of course I want to see this franchise to return back to greatness.

There have been rumors from the leaked emails even Sam Raimi was approached again to come back. I just don't know if he would take Sony up on this.

You clearly are in favor of Marvel getting the rights back, is that not a correct assumption?

And you're not?

So again, your point is?

And yes. Since Sony has allowed this franchise to sink through mishandling, I would very much rather see it in capable hands. Under Sam Raimi's direction, it was going down a wonderful creative path. And Spider-Man 2 is one of my most appreciated CBM that I own and watch periodically. So of course I want to see this franchise to return back to greatness.

There have been rumors from the leaked emails even Sam Raimi was approached again to come back. I just don't know if he would take Sony up on this.

WTF? is it required to have to make a point with every post? I was answering his question - sorry but I'm not going to RMA with every post, I'm just not that clever.

But I've gotten your point, several times. Enjoy!

And you're not?

And I feel Marvel could do better. The only real duds Marvel has made (imo) are IRON MAN III/THOR TDW and The Incredible Hulk, (then again I'm not a hulk fan) other then that marvel has had a overall great track record.

And you're not?

So again, your point is?

One last point, Sam Raimi's "wonderful creative path" led to Spider-Man 3, which was pain to watch. Even Amazing Spider-Man 2 is better than that.

:thumbsup:

One last point, Sam Raimi's "wonderful creative path" led to Spider-Man 3, which was pain to watch. Even Amazing Spider-Man 2 is better than that.

Spider-Man 3 is what separated Raimi and Sony because the studio put such a heavy hand on the direction.

Why do you think Raimi left?

And you're not?

So again, your point is?

Are you purposely leaving out the fact that SONY interfered to no end with Spidey 3? If there's any blame to be put on how terribly S-M 3 turned out it belongs mostly with SONY.

I did not purposely leave that out. Sony also interfered with ASM2. Isn't that what Sony does?

That's actually not completely accurate when you compare Spider-Man 2 to Spider-Man 3. Raimi had control of the -script in SM2, and selected what he felt was an appropriate direction.

-----------------

Raimi sifted through the previous drafts by Gough, Millar, Koepp and Chabon, picking what he liked with screenwriter Alvin Sargent. He felt that thematically the film had to explore Peter's conflict with his personal wants against his responsibility, exploring the positive and negatives of his chosen path, and how he ultimately decides that he can be happy as a heroic figure. Raimi stated the story was partly influenced by Superman II, which also explored the titular hero giving up his responsibilities. The story is mainly taken from The Amazing Spider-Man No. 50, "Spider-Man No More!" It was decided that Doc Ock would be kept as the villain, as he was both a visually interesting villain who was a physical match for Spider-Man, and a sympathetic figure with humanity. Raimi changed much of the character's backstory, however, adding the idea of Otto Octavius being a hero of Peter, and how their conflict was about trying to rescue him from his demons rather than kill him.

-----------------

There was even an initial -script draft where Doc Ock was having a love affair with Mary Jane before Peter. Raimi threw that out.

While I loved what Raimi did with the first 2 Spider-Man movies, there are some definite flaws in the films. Part of what made them so good at the time was how fresh they were. Today, they just don't hold up next to the other Marvel properties.

I think Raimi leaving was a good thing. It just happens that the next two installments were horrible.

Sony needs to go!

I did not purposely leave that out. Sony also interfered with ASM2. Isn't that what Sony does?

That's actually not completely accurate when you compare Spider-Man 2 to Spider-Man 3. Raimi had control of the -script in SM2, and selected what he felt was an appropriate direction.

-----------------

Raimi sifted through the previous drafts by Gough, Millar, Koepp and Chabon, picking what he liked with screenwriter Alvin Sargent. He felt that thematically the film had to explore Peter's conflict with his personal wants against his responsibility, exploring the positive and negatives of his chosen path, and how he ultimately decides that he can be happy as a heroic figure. Raimi stated the story was partly influenced by Superman II, which also explored the titular hero giving up his responsibilities. The story is mainly taken from The Amazing Spider-Man No. 50, "Spider-Man No More!" It was decided that Doc Ock would be kept as the villain, as he was both a visually interesting villain who was a physical match for Spider-Man, and a sympathetic figure with humanity. Raimi changed much of the character's backstory, however, adding the idea of Otto Octavius being a hero of Peter, and how their conflict was about trying to rescue him from his demons rather than kill him.

-----------------

There was even an initial -script draft where Doc Ock was having a love affair with Mary Jane before Peter. Raimi threw that out.

ASM2 = Amazing Spider-Man 2.

While I loved what Raimi did with the first 2 Spider-Man movies, there are some definite flaws in the films. Part of what made them so good at the time was how fresh they were. Today, they just don't hold up next to the other Marvel properties.

I think Raimi leaving was a good thing. It just happens that the next two installments were horrible.

Sony needs to go!

two words = Mary Jane :facepalm:

:wishluck: let Marvel earn the rights back.

Comparing Sony's latest handling against Marvel's recent series of successes, unfortunately (or fortunately) that has been achieved already.

Now it just comes down to negotiations and Sony realizing they are going to spend more money with Spider-Man 3 and 4 that they will not recoup its investment. Or, they really go all-out to right-size the ship and pick up a fantastic director with a strong -script.

Either option works for me.

Sony needs to go!

two words = Mary Jane :face palm:

Two more- Green Goblin