• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SPIDER-MAN Sony-Marvel potential deal OFFICIAL THREAD

351 posts in this topic

I contend that the batman/bruce Wayne character is one of the better characters made in comics

The origin is one of the best

I wasn't saying he was a bad character- just not relatable like Peter.

I was born and bred a Spidey reader. Right now, I spend more a month on Batman books than I do Spider-Man books.

Which strengthens my point.

If you can take an unrelatable character like Bruce Wayne, imagine what they could do with Peter Parker.

Imagine a Batman-esque story where the character's real self is relatable to anyone - ah! the Silver Age secret of the success of Spider-man!

Wow! Sony is worse off than I realized previously.

FORBES: What Happened? The Tangled Web Of Sony And Spider-Man

-------------------

In 2013, Sony’s largest single investor was a hedge fund called Third Point. Its manager Daniel Loeb wrote a critical letter to SPE’s parent company about splitting the movie division off to free up the Sony Electronics stock. It caused quite an uproar over the summer last year, leading to Pascal having to deny the sale of Spider-Man. Loeb’s anger over 2013’s box office performance of White House Down and After Earth compounded and lead to Third Point selling off its shares in October this year (pre-hack but still in the middle of more creative floundering from Sony Pictures Entertainment). Loeb’s exit included a statement that Sony had been profitable for Third Point, but the company was moving on. It’s unclear how much of this can be attributed to Sony’s refusal to handle the SPE film division the way Third Point wanted, but it seems in line with Loeb’s statements last year that he feels the electronics division has the potential for billion-dollar profits, not superheroes with shared intellectual property rights. Having Amazing Spider-Man 2 make money on paper was fine but rendering a franchise inert in the process was still a bad move.

-------------------

Third Point owned 7 percent of the company’s stock before the sale, and had been helping Sony's CEO right-size its financials before departing.

Daniel Loeb, Third Point Sell Sony Stake After 20-Percent Profit

Disney/Marvel's deal may be looking better to Sony than previously realized.

The "Third Point" name was derived from the revenue ratio benchmark used by Hollywood insiders to separate successful movies from failures.

smarty.gif source

I think people want to be Bruce Wayne (minus the killing of the parents), not sure many people want to be Peter Parker (pre powers) but can relate (bullied) especially around here

I always find it funny how we reference Peter getting beat up in high school. How many people here actually read Spider-Man when Peter was in high school? I'd wager it wasn't a lot as he was out of high school by like 66 or so.

What makes Peter relatable is the feeling of not fitting in. That is something that everyone can relate too. I also think it is the integrity of the character. He doesn't always do the perfect thing or even the right thing, but he carries the weight of his decisions.

Peter also has a lot of other problems (girls, money, jobs, etc) that just about everyone can relate too.

Connecting this back to the films- the Raimi films did a better job capturing everything above. Garfield just wasn't relatable and it really removed me from the film. Heck I'd take it even further, Garfield wasn't very likable either.

I contend that the batman/bruce Wayne character is one of the better characters made in comics

I was born and bred a Spidey reader. Right now, I spend more a month on Batman books than I do Spider-Man books.

If you can take an unrelatable character like Bruce Wayne, imagine what they could do with Peter Parker.

Imagine a Batman-esque story where the character's real self is relatable to anyone - ah! the Silver Age secret of the success of Spider-man!

You should read Invincible :gossip:

I did. Followed it until it got a little too over the top for me, around issue 50+.

Up until then it reminded me of early Peter Parker, and I liked it a lot.

Didn't dislike it after #50 or whatever it was. It just got so violent and over the top, it wasn't the same kind of book it started out as. Just my 2c

I did. Followed it until it got a little too over the top for me, around issue 50+.

Up until then it reminded me of early Peter Parker, and I liked it a lot.

Didn't dislike it after #50 or whatever it was. It just got so violent and over the top, it wasn't the same kind of book it started out as. Just my 2c

The tone did change a bit at that point, but I still enjoy it and it still has a similar feel.

I'm glad you read it though (thumbs u . It reminds me A LOT of silver age Marvels with a modern feel.

I wonder how much of this grass roots propaganda is secretly funded by Marvel

hm

Wow, you really love the SONY flicks, don't ya? lol

Just trying to balance this thread since it's clear how the op feels :baiting:

hm

Trying to keep things 'fair and balanced' are we? ;)

hm

I'm not sure why you are taking this so personal. But I would say it is the majority of the hobby that would love to see this happen as well.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 was the worst results of the five movies yet. And that is comparing results to movies from 2002, 2004 and 2007, and not even adjusting for inflation. That's how much of a difference there was between the films.

f1sKkqQ.png

But there is something even more in the numbers. If you look at the box office distribution percentages, there is a substantial difference in the domestic market compared to previous movies. If not for the international market having carried this movie with 71.4% of the overall box office, this would have been much worse off than it ended up as.

Will I watch it? Maybe, when it is free. I like to give any CBM at least one viewing, and judge for myself. But I already have a feeling what that experience is going to be from the massive negative reaction to this movie. It's not even a 50/50 split, unfortunately.

And no offense is meant to you personally in stating that.

There is something else in the Spider-Man movie franchise's numbers that indicates shifts in the cinema market. The top five international box office countries are China, France, India, Japan and the UK.

K2KLGVW.png

The explosion across the China market when it comes to financial growth is massive, and helped the last movie really stand out when it comes to international results. Now you can see why studios are trying so hard to build local appeal like what 'Iron Man 3' did with its extra China location scene.

By the way, comparing the top ten 2014 movie results in China is quite telling as well.

7kG2IT8.png

It looks like 'The Lego Movie' never even received approval for release across China, and 'Big Hero 6' is still waiting for approval by the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television (SAPPRFT).

China sures loves its Transformers.