• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SPIDER-MAN Sony-Marvel potential deal OFFICIAL THREAD

351 posts in this topic

There was talk about an interesting image posted on the Sony International Facebook page.

SINISTER SIX Might Actually Happen Now, Here's The Evidence

Sony Facebook

"We have plans for you … #Spider-Man."

yLGz4Xy.png

Those four corner images look a little familiar?

Mysterio's head in the middle, Vulture's wings

'The Amazing Spider-Man 3' movie release sooner than expected? (1/19/15)

------------------

However, rumor has it now that "The Amazing Spider-Man 3" will not be spearheaded by Sony and that Marvel Studios will be taking over the franchise from the company. While the parties are reportedly in talks to reach an amicable agreement, neither one of them have commented on the situation so far.

------------------

It's coming from Christian Today, so you know this has to be on the level.

(:

The Word.

I think I mentioned a year ago in some post that I wound up buying 20 HG copies of Miles Morales first appearance in a lot. I only mention that in case anyone reading remembers and brings it up as if I am trying to shill a future sale.

However, I think it is time to do 'something' to bring Spider-man back home. I would like to see Peter Parker in the Marvel Universe but I would not mind Miles Morales at all. Miles Morales is the modern Peter Parker that Marvel has been searching for and is one of the things in the Ultimate Universe that I hope that they never shelve.

This was one of the Sony emails that leaked out from the hack. Well, I guess it is true.

Phil Lord and Chris Miller Confirm Talks of Jump Street/Men in Black Crossover

------------------

Surprisingly, the directing duo had no issues with confirming that a Jump Street/Men in Black crossover could still be in the works at Sony Pictures during a recent interview, as Lord was quick to reveal that: “Nothing’s changed. It’s still a crazy idea, and we only do things that seem like they’re going to be terrible.”

“We’re really focussing on what’s a great story for Schmidt and Jenko and how to tell the next chapter in their lives,” the writer/director added. “And perhaps use creatures from another world at the same time.”

------------------

Doesn't Marvel own the Men In Black comic book rights?

This was one of the Sony emails that leaked out from the hack. Well, I guess it is true.

Phil Lord and Chris Miller Confirm Talks of Jump Street/Men in Black Crossover

------------------

Surprisingly, the directing duo had no issues with confirming that a Jump Street/Men in Black crossover could still be in the works at Sony Pictures during a recent interview, as Lord was quick to reveal that: “Nothing’s changed. It’s still a crazy idea, and we only do things that seem like they’re going to be terrible.”

“We’re really focussing on what’s a great story for Schmidt and Jenko and how to tell the next chapter in their lives,” the writer/director added. “And perhaps use creatures from another world at the same time.”

------------------

Doesn't Marvel own the Men In Black comic book rights?

Yes, MARVEL does.

I think I mentioned a year ago in some post that I wound up buying 20 HG copies of Miles Morales first appearance in a lot. I only mention that in case anyone reading remembers and brings it up as if I am trying to shill a future sale.

However, I think it is time to do 'something' to bring Spider-man back home. I would like to see Peter Parker in the Marvel Universe but I would not mind Miles Morales at all. Miles Morales is the modern Peter Parker that Marvel has been searching for and is one of the things in the Ultimate Universe that I hope that they never shelve.

Just curious, but do you read Ultimate Spider-Man? It has been pretty solid, IMO. I felt like it drug a bit with Miles, but it has picked back up.

I do wonder how it'd be under someone other than Bendis though hm

LATINO REVIEW: MARVELOUS DA7E 79

---------------------

Marvel has plans as to how it is going to use Spider-Man moving forward and that’s been taken as a sign of confidence. Sony’s unattributed denials seem like a sign of uncertainty. Whatever makes a “deal” this day and age is fluid, especially with these superhero properties projecting their futures multiple years ahead. Do I think Spider-Man is coming back to Marvel? Yes. Is Spider-Man coming back to Marvel? Probably. Will everything I reported on last week come to pass? No. It’s too far out and this is a deal between two companies over a property that made around $1.3 billion including licensing last year, the concerns of Spider-Man fans are not at the forefront of the decision-making here.

---------------------

People who just want me to put my foot down and say Spider-Man is back with Marvel and nothing is going to change that can meet me on Planet Hulk. All evidence points in the direction that this is happening, but things change. And it’s not like Marvel is wanting for stuff to put in their movies over the next few years.

---------------------

So it sounds like there is indecision behind the scenes between the negotiating parties. And with any high-powered hard feelings (Feige, Arad)), this may be the root of the holdup.

:(

SPIDER-MAN (2002) Screenwriter David Koepp Weighs In On How He Would Save The Franchise

--------------------

"When I was doing Spider-Man the first time, I remember distinctly having thoughts about three movies, each of a different kind. The way the comic-book lines switched, it was Spider-Man, Amazing Spider-Man, Spectacular Spider-Man… there were a number of them.

"So rather than try to pursue the same course, or any kind of similar tone, you’d have strikingly different tones. The classic Spider-Man, that would be the top-of-the-line, studio Sam Raimi ones, then the Amazing Spider-Man ones, they’d be done for $75-80 million, and have a rougher, edgier, almost R-rated feel to them – if not R-rated, though I don’t think they could ever bring themselves to do that. Tougher, nastier, a rougher look... shorter movies. I don’t like superhero bloat, personally.

--------------------

So I wonder how this impacts any further discussions between Sony and Marvel concerning Spidey.

Amy Pascal To Produce Future Sony Spider-Man Films

--------------------

t has been a tough few months at Sony Pictures Entertainment, following the hacking incident in retaliation for The Interview. Amy Pascal, a co-chair at the movie studio, was at the center of many unflattering exchanges revealed through massive leaks of internal memos and documents. Now she has stepped down from her position, but has a new deal to start a production venture at Sony.

Part of this deal includes producing the next Ghostbusters installment and future Spider-Man movies. As The Hollywood Reporter points out, former Columbia Pictures president Matt Tolmach got a similar deal after he left his position.

--------------------

It looks like Cosmic Book News had even more details.

Spider-Man Back At Marvel? Amy Pascal Onboard As Producer

--------------------

Pascal released a statement which reads in part plans are set for the next two years, which more than likely includes plans for Spider-Man (note: bold below my own).

"I have spent almost my entire professional life at Sony Pictures and I am energized to be starting this new chapter based at the company I call home," Pascal said in a statement. "I have always wanted to be a producer. [sony Entertainment CEO] Michael [Lynton] and I have been talking about this transition for quite some time, and I am grateful to him for giving me the opportunity to pursue my long-held dream and for providing unparalleled support. As the slate for the next two years has come together, it felt like the right time to transition into this new role. I am so grateful to my team, some of whom I have worked with for the last 20 years and others who have joined more recently. I am leaving the studio in great hands. I am so proud of what we have all done together and I look forward to a whole lot more."

It's further reported that Sony "will finance Pascal's venture and retain all distribution rights worldwide to the films."

--------------------

What about this scenario?

Spider-Man goes back to Marvel, but Sony still makes Sinister Six and Venom vs Carnage movies.

An example is Sony lets Spider-Man cameo in Avengers, but still go ahead with their planned Sinister Six and Venom movies.

hm

I think that is actually one of the scenarios that came up from the emails. So if Sony was pondering it, there is a chance it could come true. But I wonder how solid a course of action that would be taking key villains from the Spidey Universe and having them go off on their own without him.

I guess we will see.

Amy Pascal steps down from Sony

Amy Pascal to exit as Sony co-chairman

Andrea Mandell, USA TODAY

Amy Pascal is preparing for her exit interview.

The Sony Pictures Entertainment co-chairman, who green-lit a Hollywood hurricane known as The Interview, which tipped off one of the largest corporate hacking scandals in history, is leaving her position in May.

Pascal isn't going far: The executive will launch "a major new production venture" at the studio, according to a statement Sony sent to USA TODAY.

"I have spent almost my entire professional life at Sony Pictures and I am energized to be starting this new chapter based at the company I call home," said Pascal in a statement. "I have always wanted to be a producer."

The move isn't surprising. At the height of the scandal, Pascal's private e-mails were leaked, resulting in a string of embarrassing news reports, including a racially charged e-mail exchange with producer Scott Rudin in which she joked about President Obama's movie preferences. Both swiftly apologized.

At the time, Sony stood by Pascal as it weathered daily assaults by a group calling itself the Guardians of Peace. The company's financials, employee health records, full-length unreleased films and eyebrow-raising e-mails about A-list stars (Angelina Jolie and Kevin Hart among them) poured into the ether and were batted about in industry and gossip blogs alike.

Pascal kept a brave face, attending The Interview's Los Angeles premiere and trying to keep company morale up alongside CEO Michael Lynton in town hall meetings on the company's Culver City, Calif., lot.

But to many, the writing was on the wall.

"When you have a scandal of this magnitude, there needs to be some kind of executive change," says Matthew Belloni, executive editor for The Hollywood Reporter. "Especially when you're dealing with a Japanese corporation where the leaders routinely take the fall for bad things that happen to the company."

Sony just reported an improved outlook for its fiscal year. The company said Wednesday that the hack isn't likely to hurt its finances overall and that it was benefiting from strong sales of gaming and network services and devices.

But blame for one of the biggest corporate data leaks in history "starts at the top," says security expert Jim Adler, chief privacy officer of data analytics company Metanautix. Because of the Sony hack, "everyone's woken up to the fact that many businesses are not prepared for the amount of data moving through their enterprise."

"Among all studio heads, she's consistently championed edgier and more challenging material that you usually see in art house divisions of studios," says Deadline.com awards columnist Pete Hammond, pointing to awards favorites such as Moneyball, Zero Dark Thirty and The Social Network.

Her riskier fare tended to pay off at the box office, including American Hustle, "which on paper certainly wasn't going to say '$100 million dollar grosser domestically,' but that's what it was, and then some," says Hammond. The movie went on to earn $150 million.

Pascal's good relationship with talent such as George Clooney and Brad Pitt is legendary in Hollywood. But the executive was guilty of occasionally giving too long a leash to stars like Adam Sandler and Will Smith, whose recent films (Blended and After Earth, respectively) have flopped.

"She's a loyalist," says Hammond. "And it pays off for her more often than it doesn't."

Following the news, Sony shares closed in New York up 88 cents, or 3.39%, at $26.82.

Pascal joined Columbia Pictures in 1988. Her forthcoming company will focus on "movies, television and theater," according to Sony.

Sony Pictures has signed a four-year agreement with Pascal and will finance her new company, retaining all distribution rights worldwide to films financed.

"This is a very typical arrangement for studio heads that exit," says Belloni, noting that Pascal will still be credited as a producer on Sony's biggest franchises, including Spider-Man, James Bond and the upcoming all-female Ghostbusters reboot.

Pascal's biggest loss?

"She's no longer a buyer," he says. "She's not a studio head. There's only a few people (in Hollywood) who can say yes. She's now not one of those people."

Sony Pictures has signed a four-year agreement with Pascal and will finance her new company, retaining all distribution rights worldwide to films financed.

That golden parachute must have been huge. I'm leaning towards Sony felt this was the better financial arrangement.

That golden parachute must have been huge. I'm leaning towards Sony felt this was the better financial arrangement.

That's standard. Someone in her position knows all of Sony's dirty little secrets, so no matter how bad things get, those people are always set up sweetly when they leave, in return for their co-ordinated P.R.

That's standard. Someone in her position knows all of Sony's dirty little secrets, so no matter how bad things get, those people are always set up sweetly when they leave, in return for their co-ordinated P.R.

I bet you are right on target with that thought. And with the things she was saying in revealed emails, just imagine what has not come out that she knows about (who slept with who/it, who is associated with disreputable organizations, etc.).