• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ADVICE PLEASE: Why are my auctions not working out?

81 posts in this topic

Lots of great points above re descriptions, shipping price, etc.

Are you trying to establish yourself as a comic seller or just getting rid of stuff?

If it's the former, I would not list other non-comics or non-comics related stuff. Whenever I see someone selling lots of stuff plus some comics, I tend to think that they don't know comics, don't know how to grade and don't know how to ship so I just move on (unless it's a steal) 2c

Are you trying to establish yourself as a comic seller or just getting rid of stuff?

If it's the former, I would not list other non-comics or non-comics related stuff. Whenever I see someone selling lots of stuff plus some comics, I tend to think that they don't know comics, don't know how to grade and don't know how to ship so I just move on (unless it's a steal) 2c

Yea.... what he said :)

well that sucks for me since I try to not put everything into one basket and sell a variety of things in my accounts. I guess I could make one just about comic book sales but it seems like there are tons of guys already doing that.

well that sucks for me since I try to not put everything into one basket and sell a variety of things in my accounts. I guess I could make one just about comic book sales but it seems like there are tons of guys already doing that.

Dont worry, it doesnt hurt if you sell more than one type of item in your store.

I can tell if someone knows about comics by the wording in their listing regardless of what else they may be selling.

Never sold on Ebay, but I've been a buyer there for over 10 years.

Things I like.

Shipping $6 or less for raws with combined shipping offered.

Lot's of pics, I like to see the front, back, and centerfold.

PICS MUST BE Enlargeable so I can scan closely for defects.

I do like to see a grade listed, but I'm still going to scrutinize the heck out of the pics, and make my own decision regarding the grade.

I like to see feedback of over 100, and I won't buy from people with feedback less than 20, unless it's filled with glowing feedback about there grading, ship time, and service.

If it's less than 10, or brand new, I generally don't buy from them.

As far as what's in the feedback

I don't mind a few negs if they are a high volume seller, as odds are they are going to get some no matter what(Look at MCS's ebay feedback, and they are a great seller)

I read what the negs are, if it's people complaining about sports cards, I don't care.

If it's people complaining about the grading and packaging of comics, that I do care about.

Plus I'm loyal to people who take care of me, a fair deal, shipped quickly and packed well, and showing up as described or better, and you will be added to my favorite sellers list.

I like auctions, but I really like BINS with a best offer option.

As far as the best offer goes, I never lowball, I might go 20% off list price at most. I like to see a response to my offers within a day or so, be it a decline, accept, or counter offer, I don't like to be left hanging until my first offer expires before I can make another, or look for another seller.

But if it's book I really want, I will wait till it expires, and then go ahead and make another offer.

I like sellers who ship fast, if more than three business days go by since I paid without shipping(and I pay RIGHT AWAY always) I start to get annoyed.

Ok, that's a look inside the mind of a regular comic buyer on Ebay, I hope it helps.

Things I like.

I do like to see a grade listed, but I'm still going to scrutinize the heck out of the pics, and make my own decision regarding the grade.

I like to see feedback of over 100, and I won't buy from people with feedback less than 20, unless it's filled with glowing feedback about there grading, ship time, and service.

I don't mind a few negs if they are a high volume seller, as odds are they are going to get some no matter what(Look at MCS's ebay feedback, and they are a great seller)

I read what the negs are, if it's people complaining about sports cards, I don't care.

If it's people complaining about the grading and packaging of comics, that I do care about.

Plus I'm loyal to people who take care of me, a fair deal, shipped quickly and packed well, and showing up as described or better, and you will be added to my favorite sellers list.

As far as the best offer goes, I never lowball, I might go 20% off list price at most. I like to see a response to my offers within a day or so, be it a decline, accept, or counter offer, I don't like to be left hanging until my first offer expires before I can make another, or look for another seller.

But if it's book I really want, I will wait till it expires, and then go ahead and make another offer.

I like sellers who ship fast, if more than three business days go by since I paid without shipping(and I pay RIGHT AWAY always) I start to get annoyed.

Ok, that's a look inside the mind of a regular comic buyer on Ebay, I hope it helps.

excellent outlook on how to be a buyer on eBay and very helpful to sellers looking to improve

thats just silly.

you are losing out on good deals for little to no real reason but whatev.

most of my best buys have come from these type of dealers in my 30 years in the hobby.

all you have to do is simply read the guys description and you can tell if they know comics or not.

Things I like.

That's very insightful stuff. I would only have one question as seller.

Why do you want to see centerfold? I can think of reasons why, but Id like to hear yours.

thats just silly.

you are losing out on good deals for little to no real reason but whatev.

most of my best buys have come from these type of dealers in my 30 years in the hobby.

all you have to do is simply read the guys description and you can tell if they know comics or not.

Ive gotten great deals too, but more the often have gotten great books destroyed due to lack of packing. Some know comics, but they don't know packing.

Things I like.

That's very insightful stuff. I would only have one question as seller.

Why do you want to see centerfold? I can think of reasons why, but Id like to hear yours.

Staples, I like seeing them inside and out. I also want to make sure that the centerfold is attached, and that everything looks nice and tight and supple.

Seeing how everything looks at the center fold staples is a part of how I judge the overall quality of raw books

Would you want this even for a modern advertised as 9.6/9.8?

I don't take pics of the centerfolds, but for non-moderns, I am going to start (if I remember.)

(thumbs u

-slym

No

I should have said this is for silver age books

It's not a must have, just something I like.

I sell mostly comics with just a few other things sprinkled in for sale.

It kinda sucks to hear people might avoid me just for that reason. I am sure there are many, better reasons to avoid me on eBay.

;)

-slym ( self-deprecating :jokealert:)

I should have clarified that if you have lots of comics and the stray iphone case, shoes, etc. that may be okay but if I see lots of other stuff that they may have found in couch cushions and oh, hey a comic, I just move on.

Once got a cheap slab from a Canadian lady who sold a sheet load of perfume, high heels and women's clothing. She put the slab in a bubble mailer with no other protection and was surprised that it got cracked. Yeah, I've seen that too sometimes from comic folk but it (used to) happens more often with couch diggers.

I just saw a For Sales Thread that really irritated me so I figured this was the perfect thread to comment in.

The seller received a CGC 6.0 on a book he claims is 8.0-8.5 . Okay, been there, done that, I feel your pain, etc. But here's the rub, he prices the book @ 8.0 - 8.5 GPA and states you(the buyer) should resubmit. I don't get it. Amazing for a Board Sales Thread. Take it to E-Bay.

It's priced at $120. Don't think that's 8.5 GPA

Last 8.5 (Dec 2014) is 100 . 12 month average is 111.00. So it's actually priced over GPA. Book is not 'hot' . I'm used to seeing a strong price for potential but to expect an 8.5 price on a slabbed 6.0 is crazy, not to mention the reslab fees even if you did get an 8.5 .