• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seeing comics that you have sold, somewhere else for sale

88 posts in this topic

When I sell books here most of the people who buy from me are resellers. To me that's great as I make a tiny bit of profit (sometime just break even) for my next buy and they also pay promptly. I see some of the books I had go on eBay but that does not bother me at all.

I don't know if it was ever re-sold, but I'd love to know if the X-Men #64 I sold to someone here ever made it to CGC, and what the grade was. I had it as a solid 9.4 raw.

I need to look that guy up in my PM's...

hm

-slym

I can see writing "it's for my collection" if you're trying to let the seller know that you're not cynically trying to get a low price just so you can flip the book. But that's really just putting the idea into the seller's mind that you might be a reseller, when the seller might not even be worrying about such matters.

One time it kinda bugged me when somebody bought one of my books to resell was when the buyer immediately relisted the comic with a different grade. I had sold the comic as a VG, and the buyer turned around and listed the comic as a FN. He also was immediately (the morning after end of auction) emailing me to ask if I had sent the comic yet. Guess he was in a big hurry to flip/resell. I can't say the buyer did anything wrong in terms of his behavior toward me (other than pressuring me for a fast shipment), but it definitely feels weird when somebody buys from you just to relist.

The thing that bugs me more is when I'm trying to win an auction item for my personal collection, and somebody outbids me just to resell the item. The time it has REALLY bugged me is on the half-dozen occasions where I was outbid in literally the last minute of the auction on Heritage, only to see the items being sold by Lewis Wayne Galleries (at least for 2x the Heritage hammer price) within a week after the end of the Heritage auctions. Lewis Wayne Galleries is just an off-shoot of Heritage run by one of the main Heritage employees. That was a few years ago before the N.P. Gresham bad publicity. I still feel burned by those situations because it meant Heritage had an invisible reserve or in-house shill (or the impression of one) and made me feel less confidence in the integrity of their auction process.

I feel most of the bigger sellers on eBay do this consistently. Only once you pass their reserve threshold do you have real bidders on the more expensive books (and even some small change ones too). Same guy always beats me out on the same books all the time. And then I see that same book listed again the next week either as a buy it now or an auction. It doesn't take much of their time-- they only need to go to the site an anytime prior to the auction end and throw in a max bid that is their true reserve. It can be a simple formula -- just take 10% off your reserve (FVF covered). At least that seems like what is going on far too often.

Having never sold the only way I can relate to it is when someone jumps on something here & then marks it up for resale.

One instance where someone snagged something I wanted, then two weeks later listed it here & marked it up by 200% - that annoyed the heck out of me.. :pullhair: ..in fact I almost threadcrapped his sales thread with a link to the original purchase...

:mad:

I've kept this to myself for so long.. :(

lol no revelation here but it wasn't you ya low down dirty flipper... :baiting:

I'm with you on this.Thank God I don't sell comics,to me it would seem to take some of the fun out of collecting.

You don't sell comics at all? Not even to upgrade?

I can certainly relate to someone not wanting to sell as a source of income (makes it a business versus a hobby), but as I upgrade my books I simply could not afford to keep every copy of a single issue.

:shrug:

No I don't even sell to upgrade.It's in the collection for life,let the wife and kids handle that when I'm gone.

Except you did sell me a CGC 8.0 copy of Werewolf by Night #32 when you bought a higher grade copy. :baiting:

lol

Maybe it was a CGC 7.5.....I can't remember. I sold it VERY CHEAP about a year later ater I lost my job.....

Having never sold the only way I can relate to it is when someone jumps on something here & then marks it up for resale.

One instance where someone snagged something I wanted, then two weeks later listed it here & marked it up by 200% - that annoyed the heck out of me.. :pullhair: ..in fact I almost threadcrapped his sales thread with a link to the original purchase...

:mad:

I've kept this to myself for so long.. :(

lol no revelation here but it wasn't you ya low down dirty flipper... :baiting:

I'm with you on this.Thank God I don't sell comics,to me it would seem to take some of the fun out of collecting.

You don't sell comics at all? Not even to upgrade?

I can certainly relate to someone not wanting to sell as a source of income (makes it a business versus a hobby), but as I upgrade my books I simply could not afford to keep every copy of a single issue.

:shrug:

No I don't even sell to upgrade.It's in the collection for life,let the wife and kids handle that when I'm gone.

Except you did sell me a CGC 8.0 copy of Werewolf by Night #32 when you bought a higher grade copy. :baiting:

lol

Maybe it was a CGC 7.5.....I can't remember. I sold it VERY CHEAP about a year later ater I lost my job.....

Oh yeah,it was an 8.0,but I already had a 9.4.The 8.0 came in a multiple slab purchase,and I really didn't need two.So I thought I would be nice. :foryou:

I don't know if it was ever re-sold, but I'd love to know if the X-Men #64 I sold to someone here ever made it to CGC, and what the grade was. I had it as a solid 9.4 raw.

I need to look that guy up in my PM's...

hm

-slym

If you mean the original series, Neil, I bought it from you and of course it’s not slabbed but in my collection soon to be labeled "from the collection of Neil B." :foryou:

But as far as I recall it was a nice copy between VF and NM but not above, now you have made me curious, I will re-check it. hm

Not many sadder stories than mine :cry:

I had bought a Captain America Comics # 1 a little more than 20 years ago.

Sold it about 4 years later in a Sotheby's auction (great thrill to be in NYC and see your book go through the auction process!!) for 3.5x what I had paid for it.

The book has since been graded CGC 8.0 - UUGGHH

The book has a distinct pencil marking on the cover so I know it's the same book.

I made a great profit but I still kick myself for selling it.

Maybe it wasn't #64, but it wasn't to you I sold the one I am thinking about. This person purchased an X-Men slab from me from one of my sales threads and we made a deal about this raw book on the side.

That is awfully nice though, Claudio, to keep that book in your collection labeled that way!

:)

*EDIT* It was user KKyW that I sold a slabbed X-Men #50 to that also got a raw book from me that he said he was going to send to CGC. I asked him to keep me updated on what it graded, but he hasn't posted here since June of 2013, so I guess I'll never know...

-slym