• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Online personal comic book collection database?

50 posts in this topic

you guys really make a guy feel good. just to let you know i started my key collecting before that bubble burst on all the movies. i was a big time inhumans and star-lord fan in the 70's and bought all those MP's he was in. when i meant "keys" i meant "keys" to me....like my cheap contest of champions collection and certain bronze age x-men although not "key" and too expensive i treasure because it meant a lot to me when i was a kid. so screw off thinking you know me....

easy for you guys to make wise comments behind the keyboard. hope to bump into you guys one day at a con if i ever get to one.

for the guys who gave some insight, thank you. 01thedude. and now i am out of this big bang theory forums....thought i'd give geekdom a chance.

Dude, you called oakman29 a punk, and made it like he chased after the hot comic just released today - which is FAR from the truth.

Then you come on and basically challenge us all to a fight because we defended a long time member from your idiodacy.

Please, stick around! We need more entertainment!!!

easy for you guys to make wise comments behind the keyboard.

Right back at you, brother!

:D

-slym

I am sure they are out there and google provided me with some but not sure what everyone else is using or would recommend. I have about 120+ comics i would like to catalog & view covers online. It would be awesome to view the covers in a grid view and be able to add notes to the comic and grade and such.

My comics are Marvel silver age to present and are not by any means obscure books. I also have a few TPB which i would like to do the same as well. Any recommendations would be helpful

This is what I use, and I can't recommend it highly enough:

http://www.collectorz.com/comic/

It's got grid views for covers, so it should be right up your alley.

you guys really make a guy feel good. just to let you know i started my key collecting before that bubble burst on all the movies. i was a big time inhumans and star-lord fan in the 70's and bought all those MP's he was in. when i meant "keys" i meant "keys" to me....like my cheap contest of champions collection and certain bronze age x-men although not "key" and too expensive i treasure because it meant a lot to me when i was a kid. so screw off thinking you know me....

easy for you guys to make wise comments behind the keyboard. hope to bump into you guys one day at a con if i ever get to one.

for the guys who gave some insight, thank you. 01thedude. and now i am out of this big bang theory forums....thought i'd give geekdom a chance.

Dude, you called oakman29 a punk, and made it like he chased after the hot comic just released today - which is FAR from the truth.

Then you come on and basically challenge us all to a fight because we defended a long time member from your idiodacy.

Please, stick around! We need more entertainment!!!

easy for you guys to make wise comments behind the keyboard.

Right back at you, brother!

:D

-slym

I hope he hangs around,we haven't had enough fun around here lately.

P.S. I really did mean for him to use a pad & pencil,best way to keep track still.

With that I get called a punk?

Brother I would be more than happy to meet you,many on these boards know each other in person.This is not your average message board,we'be eaten together,partied together,and I won't mention the time Steve Borock walked around in his underwear screaming I am the Lone Ranger...... :roflmao:

I am on CBR but not sure where to enter a personal collection

if you registered there, the way to get your collection started as far as listing it out is a bit of a task at first.

Put a title in the search portion and find the correct title etc. The listing of the books come up for that title. You can click on the specific number and the cover picture will show along with whatever information has been entered for it.

The key part is to click the check box for the issue(s) you have of that title. Then in the drop down box to the upper right of the list, select "move to collection"

This will bring up another entry screen where you can edit grade, your original cost, and allow you to add notes. It will default to the Master List at first. When you go into to your Realm (My Realm on the menu list) it will show that master list-- this is where you can add additional lists if you want and that lets you sort stuff a bit if you want -- like DC, Marvel, horror, Dell -- etc.

hope that helps.

If it doesn't get you quite there --- there is a a forum that has a FAQ (frequently asked questions) section that probably covers everything you might be struggling with.

I'm going to try CBR - thanks for the tips on how to navigate it.

How accurate are the valuations on CBR? Also how does that compare to ComicPriceGuide (which I hear from folks here that CPG should be avoided like the plague! Why? Enquiring minds want to know!) :)

I'm getting the sense that GPA is sort of the gold-standard for valuation since Overstreet is supposedly outdated a week after it hits the bookshelf. But what about other valuation sites? One of them (Nostomania) seems REALLY out of whack with a lot of their listings.

So how does CBR compare as far as its valuations if I use that for online cataloging/searching?

Wow, I have to give you credit. It usually takes more than 40 posts before having your first FDQ Exit moment and challenging others to a fight at a comic convention. Well done :golfclap: Do you happen to go to the same middle school as the guy who told us to go around the corner and up our butts?

Wow, I have to give you credit. It usually takes more than 40 posts before having your first FDQ Exit moment and challenging others to a fight at a comic convention. Well done :golfclap: Do you happen to go to the same middle school as the guy who told us to go around the corner and up our butts?

He's a tad too sensitive for the internet. :whistle:

To be honest, you were the one being overly sensitive! :foryou:

I read the thread and saw this:

Newbie: I want to catalogue my 120 book collection, any advice?

You: 120? You call that a collection? lolz!

Newbie: Up yours grandad, I collect what I like. Now, as I was saying, what about that cataloguing system?

You: Oh you're SO awesome! I can't compete with someone as AWESOME as you!

So tell me again, who was childish and overly sensitive, hmm? :) His first response was spot on, giving as good as he got without making it an issue, and then moving on.

Newbie: Up yours grandad, I collect what I like. Now, as I was saying, what about that cataloguing system?

So tell me again, who was childish and overly sensitive, hmm? :) His first response was spot on, giving as good as he got without making it an issue, and then moving on.

Who asked you anyway..... :cry:

lol

I wonder if new folk when signing up\registering should be told to expect in some instances, right out of the box some will behave toward you like they have known you a long time.....kinda the opposite of..."Bi*cth you don't even know me!"

if you registered there, the way to get your collection started as far as listing it out is a bit of a task at first.

Put a title in the search portion and find the correct title etc. The listing of the books come up for that title. You can click on the specific number and the cover picture will show along with whatever information has been entered for it.

The key part is to click the check box for the issue(s) you have of that title. Then in the drop down box to the upper right of the list, select "move to collection"

This will bring up another entry screen where you can edit grade, your original cost, and allow you to add notes. It will default to the Master List at first. When you go into to your Realm (My Realm on the menu list) it will show that master list-- this is where you can add additional lists if you want and that lets you sort stuff a bit if you want -- like DC, Marvel, horror, Dell -- etc.

hope that helps.

If it doesn't get you quite there --- there is a a forum that has a FAQ (frequently asked questions) section that probably covers everything you might be struggling with.

Is CBR - or any other on-line inventory web-site - a viable option for keeping an inventory for insurance purposes?

hope that helps.

Is CBR - or any other on-line inventory web-site - a viable option for keeping an inventory for insurance purposes?

Not sure. It would offer off site storage of the records but those would only be as good as your entry efforts. If you are talking about high dollar books, I would imagine keeping scans of the books in addition to self-graded / notes might be necessary. CBR doesn't have a repository for personal images. You could probably keep that type of data in a cloud storage or other off site backup storage.

It depends on the insurance company requirements ultimately.

Aside from sarcasm, I have seen several recommendations, but no one so far compared one site to the other. Are most of them free or pay sites?

I see Comic Collector is a proper software. I have signed up to try the free beta, but would love to hear some comparisions…

I understand oakman as my checklists are meant to be on paper, but it can be handy to evaluate and make calculations (not necessarily for the value) to have them indexed online or on the computer. :)

I just like the availability of always having my collection on my phone, iPad or laptop whenever I need it. I find a book that I think I need & can check it instantly without any effort just using the camera to scan the barcode (at least on modern books). Toss in the prices & grades & what-not & I can always know my bottom line (if I want to sell it) or update quantity as necessary.

I don't know how well CBR would work for that. Does it even work on mobile devices? I'd hate to need to keep a hard copy of a wishlist or inventory on me just to compare it to every book I find that I think I might need.