• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vertigo Comics' FABLES Movie No Longer A Rumor

4 posts in this topic

'Kick-AZZ' And 'X-Men: First Class' Writer Working on 'Fables'

------------------

Jane Goldman is working on Arcel’s initial draft, putting the project one step closer to becoming a reality according to producer David Heyman. “[Arcel] did a draft, and now he’s supervising Jane, who’s doing a draft,” he reveals. “Hoping that it’ll come in and we’ll be able to move to the next stage. All these things always take longer than you want. And ‘Fables’ is not easy, by any means, but I think it’ll be pretty great.”

Goldman is no stranger to comic book adaptations after working with Matthew Vaughn on Kick-, X-Men: First Class, and the upcoming Kingsman: The Secret Service. She will next work with Tim Burton on Peregrine’s Home for Peculiars, a movie which is currently expected to be released next year.

------------------

As a major fan of the Fables story, I would love for this to happen. I can not remember the last time a series grabbed me the way this one did. It reminded me of when I read my first Spider-man comic book in the late 80's. I was hooked instantly.

In a shock statement, Bill Willingham - the creator of beloved comic series Fables - has released the franchise into public domain. Citing a breakdown in his relationship with DC Comics - who he recently revealed he'd fired during the ongoing publication of Fables' new continuation, 'The Black Forest,' - Willingham has shared a press release that reveals his reasons and the details of his acrimonious split from DC.

Willingham made the announcement via his blog These Foolish Games, included in full below. In the statement, Willingham releases Fables into the public domain, alongside properties such as Sherlock Holmes, Dracula, and (a recent addition) Winnie-the-Pooh. While existing comics and games still belong to their respective publishers, fans are theoretically free to create new works using the characters, settings, and events from all Fables stories and tie-ins, including hit Telltale game The Wolf Among Us - soon to receive a sequel in The Wolf Among Us 2. Willingham specifies that his contract with DC makes the ironclad guarantee that he is the sole owner of the intellectual property behind Fables, and that it's his to give away to the world. However, he does caution that "copyright law is a mess; purposely vague and murky, and no two lawyers - not even those specializing in copyright and trademark law - agree on anything."