• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Marvel Spotlight #6, Star-Lord

11 posts in this topic

Marvel Spotlight, vol 2 #6, Star-Lord

I just re-discovered a box of a few dozen comics in my basement. As a kid, it was my box of "junk comics". I still had them bagged, though, just in case. ;-) This was one of the books I had in there.

Corners are rough on the front and back, but the only one that has started to disappear is the FCUR. The back corners are all there, but creased and the back is dirty/rubbed.

SpotlightV2_6_front-thumb.jpg

High Res: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24670207/comics/SpotlightV2_6_front.jpg

SpotlightV2_6_back-thumb.jpg

High Res: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24670207/comics/SpotlightV2_6_back.jpg

with back cover as is, 6.5 to 7.0

is it dirty or scuffed?

It looks to me like dirt/ink rubbed off from another book. If it was scuffed, would I feel some roughness to the paper? The paper on the cover is smooth.

The two marks in the back looks like from the straps when the books were bundled together for distribution. It doesn't look like it was on the outside of the bundle otherwise there would be indentations. My guess is that it is ink transfer from the book underneath it in the bundle and the pressure from the straps caused it to rub against the book underneath.

The two marks in the back looks like from the straps when the books were bundled together for distribution. It doesn't look like it was on the outside of the bundle otherwise there would be indentations. My guess is that it is ink transfer from the book underneath it in the bundle and the pressure from the straps caused it to rub against the book underneath.

Ah, thanks for that observation. It seems like a logical explanation to me. hm

Now ... if it has just never happened, this would be a lot nicer book. Sigh.

You can erase the dirt/smudges from the white background on the back cover, 5 to 10 minutes of work right there.That'd likely give you an 8.0.

Pressing it would bump it up to an 8.5 or 9.0.

Probably better off selling it raw at a BIN price, after cleaning up the back cover, then sinking pressing+grading fees into a book that isn't worth at least 2x CGC fees involved.

I press my own books and dry clean them before submitting them but even so, with overhead and time involved, I don't slab books that I know I can't sell for at least $50.

Dunno how strong that book is now offhand but I'm guessing a decent BIN would be somewhere in the $25-$50, in the grade (post dry cleaning) grade that you have it in.Don't dry clean it, don't expect to get more than $20.

In any event, it's a nice basement find.

Gotta love digging through old boxes in storage and finding bronze/copper keys.

Thanks for the tips CopperAge. I haven't searched, but do you know if there are any good YouTube videos with information on how to properly dry clean a book? I am a DIY kinda guy, but I want to know what I am doing.

Like you said, it really is a lot of fun discovering something like this that is in decent shape. :)

All of this has given me a bit of the collecting "bug" again and I just picked up over a thousand copper/modern age books yesterday from an ad in the newspaper. I didn't have time to go through them all, but I found a few key issues in great condition that more than made the whole purchase worth while. I will be posting scans of key issues from that discovery here to the forum as I have time. My kids and I are going to have a lot of fun going through them all.

All of this has given me a bit of the collecting "bug" again and I just picked up over a thousand copper/modern age books yesterday from an ad in the newspaper.

... and the story continues, hahaha. I had the same thing 8 months ago while I was helping out a friend to find some books he borrowed from a person he ran into again after many years. It is his doing that got me back in collecting after 15 years ;)