• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Treasure Chest v18 #2 (Copy C)

23 posts in this topic

Second installment of the life of Pope John XXIII by Joe Sinnott.

This would have been my keeper copy because it has nice white paper but I have realized there is a bad rip on the right side of the front cover (a small tear also on the armchair, at the bottom). :(

Any idea on how much does it affect the grade, on an otherwise FN+ copy?

8oAnQOhh.jpg

CZDqv8zh.jpg

Thanks everyone! :)

There is also a stain or something on the guy's legs at the bottom of the front cover. 4.0

Not a stain, it’s a partial tearing (part of the large tear which if you see follows a circular trajectory) – 4.0 sounds rough, as it’s otherwise very nice, and no pieces missing, I am more in line with the 5.0 suggested by others. hm

Any additional thoughts welcome! (thumbs u

On your request and I like to practice :)

This time I won't write down all the findings. Based on the overall defects and the tears in particular I think it won't make it as a 5.0. The maximum I might give is a 4.5 since the book in general doesn't have a lot of major issues (although I find the missing chip on the top right corner also a deal breaker). I must also say that a 4.0 seems a bit harsh indeed. I will go for a 4.5.

Right observation about the missing bit on the top right, although without the ugly tear and the other defects I think it is allowed up to FN+/FNVF grades. Obviously the accumulation of defects here does not allow for that, so I’d say between 4.5 and 5.0 is pretty accurate.

I would surely love to hear others, as this tear type is a peculiar defect I have not met often (usually tears are thinner, and not so ugly).

Thanks everyone! :)

There is also a stain or something on the guy's legs at the bottom of the front cover. 4.0

Not a stain, it’s a partial tearing (part of the large tear which if you see follows a circular trajectory) – 4.0 sounds rough, as it’s otherwise very nice, and no pieces missing, I am more in line with the 5.0 suggested by others. hm

Any additional thoughts welcome! (thumbs u

It does look pretty nice otherwise. It's a personal preference on my part, I tend to be a little hard on multiple tears of more than a fraction of an inch, especially when they are on the ragged side. It's an eye-appeal thing, swap the the covers tears out for a 1" spine split and I'm probably more lenient than others.

Yup, I guess it’s more halfway 4.5 and 5.0, not safe to call it a 5.0… hm

I've seen worse called 5.0 lol

Back in the day, when one bought a lot of books blind, I would get mildly irritated if an advertised VG/F arrived looking more like a VG to me, but in these days of scanned images and detailed descriptions, I pay less attention to the described grade ( although since scans don't reveal everything, I still keep it in mind), and generally decide if a book meets my minimum grade and eye-appeal criteria for the price ( parameters which can vary depending on era and cost).

While I still make a mental note of what I would grade a book in the traditional grades, I actually have a more general grading scale for my personal use which includes but is not limited to such grades as:

Higher grade

Around VF

Decent mid-grade copy.

Better than VG, short of Fine

Nice looking low grade

Beat but complete

etc.

Or at times instead of wondering what an actual grade would be ( or if a specific Qualified grade is called for), I'll think of a book more along the lines of "Looks like a solid upper mid-grade, but there's a chunk out of the back cover".

I am precisely like you! lol

When I started collecting original US books, I was very happy when Gary Dolgoff "Fine" books arrived and looked like Very Fines with minor flaws. Also his FNVF were stellar… almost up to VFNM in some cases. :cloud9:

People don't realize that in the early days of the OSPG, there were only three grades with prices.

I believe it was Good , Fine, and NM . Books were often graded into the closet bucket so a VFish book would fall into the Fine bucket. In some ways I long for the 'good old days' . :preach:

People don't realize that in the early days of the OSPG, there were only three grades with prices.

I believe it was Good , Fine, and NM . Books were often graded into the closet bucket so a VFish book would fall into the Fine bucket. In some ways I long for the 'good old days' . :preach:

You can say it loud… Most of my collection came from Gary and other "old-school" sellers like him… :cloud9:

When I started collecting original US books, I was very happy when Gary Dolgoff "Fine" books arrived and looked like Very Fines with minor flaws. Also his FNVF were stellar… almost up to VFNM in some cases. :cloud9:

Even back then some used the in-between grades, VG and VF. They just split the difference between the Overstreet prices. Of course back then, there were dealers that priced everything at mint prices, no matter how beat up the comic was.

Even back then some used the in-between grades, VG and VF. They just split the difference between the Overstreet prices. Of course back then, there were dealers that priced everything at mint prices, no matter how beat up the comic was.

People also used +/- grades. Years afterwards, I dug up a GA price list of books I was selling in the mid-70s, and it included VG+ books, but other folks would tend to use ranges, especially dealers with large inventory. Of course grading was much looser back in those days for the most part. I remember one dealer that used to set up at local cons in Columbus back in the day, and nearly all his books were graded either VG or NM. Some of his VGs were actually in the correct range, but others were closer to FR/G. No surprise that his NM stock started at what today would be lucky to pass for VG/F. On the other hand NM was only 3 times GD guide value in the early 70s, so sloppy grading was less of a pocketbook issue than today.