• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM X-Men #44

17 posts in this topic

Im disgusted at how people throw VF and NM around.

I know how you feel. For example, I came to realize that at least 80% of items listed on eBay are over-graded. It's starting to frustrate me as well.

I guess your #44 to be around 6.5

Im disgusted at how people throw VF and NM around.

I know how you feel. For example, I came to realize that at least 80% of items listed on eBay are over-graded. It's starting to frustrate me as well.

Yeah man Im pissed at this point. I was looking forward to receiving these books only to received them all highly over graded. I got 3 old x-men comics that I wouldnt have purchased seeing them in person. Heres another supposed NM, I would show you the other but I dont even want to look at it anymore.

xmen45.jpg

Top of the F.C. scan looks like its cropped.

Lots of things going on with this book. Looks like tide lines from some kind of moisture problem. Lots of color scuffing in the black and edge wear and creases along the edges of the F.C., plus the spine creasing.

B.C. I see more tide lines, corner damage and what looks like a small tape pull or a hole in the coupon near the bottom.

5.5 tops and that's generous

We have lots of good dealers on these boards that have active web sites you can surf. If your looking for a particular book you can also post in the Wanted To Buy section.

You should also send those books back to where they came from, period.

You should also send those books back to where they came from, period.

I agree, you should. Unfortunately this doesn't work that easy for international buyers due to the additional costs like import charges and return shipping costs. I'll try to stay to your earlier advice instead ;)

Sorry I removed them out of disgust. Im in the process of doing a return now. If you would like me to put the books back up for kicks I can. Im calm now lol

Cool down, it happened to most collectors, all around the globe. (thumbs u

I learned how to deal with eBay, here are my suggestions if buying raw books:

– buy only from seller or dealers which appear very professional in their listings;

– do not buy based on grade, rather on how the book (which should be represented adequately with good scans and possibly some picture) looks;

– if you are dubious about some things (e.g. detached staples) send the seller a question;

– do not buy (generally) books graded as NM: buy VFs max. unless you have already purchased from the person and you know he is a very serious dealer which grades tightly;

– favor sellers stating page quality as well in their listings: it is a sign of accuracy.

– do not buy very expensive books unless they are professionally graded (CGC or other parties, but reliable ones).

Maybe there are some other ones but mostly I follow these. :)

Great advice! I really appreciate it. Ive been collecting for years but only recently started buying off ebay. I cant say I have had too many let downs. I got a couple of books that had more spine stress than appeared or acknowledged but never anything this bad. Again thanks for the advice, I intend to follow it.

Top of the F.C. scan looks like its cropped.

Lots of things going on with this book. Looks like tide lines from some kind of moisture problem. Lots of color scuffing in the black and edge wear and creases along the edges of the F.C., plus the spine creasing.

B.C. I see more tide lines, corner damage and what looks like a small tape pull or a hole in the coupon near the bottom.

5.5 tops and that's generous

+1. I bet it's glossy in hand, but I'm at 5.5 as well.

And these guys are right on the money. You are doing the right thing by learning here in this forum. Buy books based on what you see with your own eyes, not by what XYZ seller thinks because no one is right 100% of the time. Take a step back for a week or two and refine your game. Then come back with a vengeance. I've gotten burnt on EBay too, but I've also come across some truly amazing bargains. Work on perfecting your method. Don't let one bad experience ruin one of the most fulfilling and enjoyable hobbies on the planet.

And these guys are right on the money. You are doing the right thing by learning here in this forum. Buy books based on what you see with your own eyes, not by what XYZ seller thinks because no one is right 100% of the time. Take a step back for a week or two and refine your game. Then come back with a vengeance. I've gotten burnt on EBay too, but I've also come across some truly amazing bargains. Work on perfecting your method. Don't let one bad experience ruin one of the most fulfilling and enjoyable hobbies on the planet.

100% right about that! :)

100% right about that! :)

+1

There are too many good people in the hobby to let the bad ones get to you. Just learn to be a better buyer. I have greatly improved my results over time. Patience and learning what to pass on is the key. For most bad experiences on Ebay there are usually warning signs (bad pics, no positive grading feedback, obvious overgrading, very high priced raw books etc. etc.) that are ignored.