• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Silver Age Joker?

22 posts in this topic

I've been trying to figure out what the first silver age Joker is. I read it was Batman #97 but since that came out in Feb 1956 shouldn't it still be a golden age book? It's my understanding that the first silver age book was in Oct 1956. I've also be told that Worlds Finest #88 is the first silver age Joker. It came out in June 1957 I think.

So does anyone know what the official first s.a joker is? Is there even one? Am I the only one who cares? Thanks for any help :)

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before, but as there is no long break in Joker appearances, and little difference in the characters various appearances throughout the 1950s/ early 60s, if one is looking for a SA villain 1st appearance "key" or a place to start or end collecting Joker appearances it just going to come down to personal preference or definition of what counts as Silver Age Batman.

World's Finest #88 at least has the distinction of being the first Joker/Luthor team-up, so I'd give it the edge in terms of being any kind of "key". Too bad they aren't on the cover.

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before, but as there is no long break in Joker appearances, and little difference in the characters various appearances throughout the 1950s/ early 60s, if one is looking for a SA villain 1st appearance "key" or a place to start or end collecting Joker appearances it just going to come down to personal preference or definition of what counts as Silver Age Batman.

World's Finest #88 at least has the distinction of being the first Joker/Luthor team-up, so I'd give it the edge in terms of being any kind of "key". Too bad they aren't on the cover.

I did do a search on this topic (since I figured this must have been asked before) but couldn't find an answer.

Your answer is the answer I was expecting lol, Thanks for taking the time.

I did do a search on this topic (since I figured this must have been asked before) but couldn't find an answer.

I could be wrong, but I feel like I recall seeing Batman 251 referred to as the first "modern" Joker. I could be wrong, but I think there was something of a gap in Joker appearances prior to this issue.

I could be wrong, but I feel like I recall seeing Batman 251 referred to as the first "modern" Joker. I could be wrong, but I think there was something of a gap in Joker appearances prior to this issue.

251 marked the return of the joker to the dark villain side - with the classic Neal Adams cover. Probably more of a key because of the awesome cover and the turn away from the campy batman storytelling that had been prevalent at the time. He was only gone for 4 years at the time.

251 marked the return of the joker to the dark villain side - with the classic Neal Adams cover. Probably more of a key because of the awesome cover and the turn away from the campy batman storytelling that had been prevalent at the time. He was only gone for 4 years at the time.

Wow. Was it only four years? I could, again, be wrong, but I feel like there was a time when this comic was considered significant more for the Joker's return/transition than for the cover. Then it was considered significant more for the Adams INTERIOR art than the cover. Now that dynamic has flipped, too, and covers are more significant than interior art! Luckily, this book has all three things going for it!

Ditto.

"First SA" designation has much more of a significant meaning when dealing with characters that had a significant gap in GA and SA (BA in the case of Black Adam) appearances.

Feb '56: Batman (1940) #97 - (Earth-2 - Pre-Crisis)

Sept '57: Batman (1940) #110 - (Earth-1 - Pre Crisis)

Feb '62: Batman (1940) #145 - (Earth-1 - Pre Crisis)

Dec '64: 80 Page Giant (1964) #5 - (Earth-2 - Pre-Crisis)

Im not a DC guy but if only someone can explain the Pre & Post-Crisis nonsense to me...

:facepalm:

Wow. Was it only four years? I could, again, be wrong, but I feel like there was a time when this comic was considered significant more for the Joker's return/transition than for the cover. Then it was considered significant more for the Adams INTERIOR art than the cover. Now that dynamic has flipped, too, and covers are more significant than interior art! Luckily, this book has all three things going for it!

He was in 201-- maybe more closer to 251 - but it really did mark the return to the evil clown instead of the tv show campy joker.

Trivia question: what was the last Silver Age appearance of the Joker? Hint: it, like Batman 251, was also written by Denny O'Neil.

Hey Zonk. Good to see you!

I would imagine the answer is Tec #388, but that wasn't written by Denny.

hm

And that Detective is a 15-cent cover price so I wouldn't necessarily count it as silver age. I"m stumped by this question.

It's 1969...that's not silver age?

For some, but not for all.

Cool, I will check that out. No idea the Joker was in there.

Me either. Very nice.

I don't know how many people consider 1969 "not SA"...I've heard of the 12/15 cutoff, but I don't know...books like X-Men were solidly silver until the end, into 1970...

...not that this is the place to debate ages. If the term isn't clearly defined, it tends to lose meaning, and the question becomes impossible to answer.

:whee: