• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SIX GRADED BOOKS RETURNED TODAY

63 posts in this topic

From 8.0 and below on Silver Age, they are too loose.

Maybe they were in the past, but I haven't noticed it. All my low grade Silver Age books graded lower than what I thought they would be.

Either that's a misconception or they are improving.

There is a third possibility. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifpoke2.gif

Maybe they were in the past, but I haven't noticed it. All my low grade Silver Age books graded lower than what I thought they would be.

That they are low grade books? insane.gif27_laughing.gif

That they are low grade books? insane.gif27_laughing.gif

That is one of the premises of the third possibility. yay.gif

I sent in low grade books to be slabbed and I'm proud of it! Obviously it was something I wanted to do if I went through with it, right? (Sometimes I really wish there was an emoticon on here of a smiley face flipping the bird).

27_laughing.gif

I sent in low grade books to be slabbed and I'm proud of it! Obviously it was something I wanted to do if I went through with it, right? (Sometimes I really wish there was an emoticon on here of a smiley face flipping the bird).

27_laughing.gif

headbang.gif

I'll say it again.

1) I think they could have possibly been a little tough on my two modern books, because they are great looking books that could possibly warrant above a general NM.

2) They definitely were not loose on grading the low grade silver age books. I think they were pretty close. The grades I gave my books were generally only 0.5 above what I received from PGX. So how is that being too loose?

Someone, when I posted the Batman 189 separately, said that PGX probably gave it a 7.5 because they go so lightly on older books. Wasn't anywhere near that, and EVEN IF the centerfold was attached, I'm convinced it would have received no higher than a 6.0 or 6.5 max. So they were not loose at all on the gradings. For my experience with them, they did a great job. And it took a fraction of the time it would've taken with CGC.

I'm happy and I will probably continue to use them for lower grade books. I haven't decided yet but I may try my luck with the two "9.4s" with CGC, just to see if there's any difference. But I ask you this ... What is so wrong with grading high grade books tough? As collector's, we don't want a ton of 9.8 books running around do we? I think CGC is pretty leanient when it comes to that. And the fact that dealers send in crates of books for pregrading and have tons of 9.8's graded. I think CGC should be more strict on modern high grades as well.

I'll say it again.

1) I think they could have possibly been a little tough on my two modern books, because they are great looking books that could possibly warrant above a general NM.

KH - With all due respect, the more you say the more I'm convinced you don't know what you are talking about. 893whatthe.gif WTF is a "general NM"? A NM is a verrrrrrrrrrrry nice book! sumo.gif

2) They definitely were not loose on grading the low grade silver age books. I think they were pretty close. The grades I gave my books were generally only 0.5 above what I received from PGX. So how is that being too loose?

This assumes that you know how to grade. makepoint.gif

Someone, when I posted the Batman 189 separately, said that PGX probably gave it a 7.5 because they go so lightly on older books. Wasn't anywhere near that, and EVEN IF the centerfold was attached, I'm convinced it would have received no higher than a 6.0 or 6.5 max. So they were not loose at all on the gradings. For my experience with them, they did a great job. And it took a fraction of the time it would've taken with CGC.

The centerfold was not only detached, but affected 3 pages makepoint.gif but I'm happy that you're happy.

I'm happy and I will probably continue to use them for lower grade books. I haven't decided yet but I may try my luck with the two "9.4s" with CGC, just to see if there's any difference. But I ask you this ... What is so wrong with grading high grade books tough? As collector's, we don't want a ton of 9.8 books running around do we? I think CGC is pretty leanient when it comes to that. And the fact that dealers send in crates of books for pregrading and have tons of 9.8's graded. I think CGC should be more strict on modern high grades as well.

screwy.gif CGC IS tough - just send your own books in and find out just how tough. Anyone who sends in a low grade book with a torn centerfold either is muy loco, or didn't take the time to actually look at the book critically, page by page - something we all are too often guilty of. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

[quoteAnyone who sends in a low grade book with a torn centerfold either is muy loco, or didn't take the time to actually look at the book critically, page by page - something we all are too often guilty of. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

You are correct divad. After receiving that Batman 189 as an X-Mas gift in 1992, I've never opened up the book to check on the pages. I had no idea that I had unattached pages. WHOOPS! I just wanted to slab it cause it's possibly my favorite book in my collection. But GUILTY AS CHARGED. grin.gif

Nice Avengers 57....you ever want to get rid of it shoot me a PM. I love books in 6.0-8.0 condition (even though a lot of mid-grade haters around here don't mad.gifgossip.gif)

Who bashes mid-grades around here? I hear people say that a lot, but I don't see it. If anything, there are people with date stamp pet peeves and writing pet peeves and Marvel chipping pet peeves, but I don't think I've seen anyone bash mid-grade books.

Nice Avengers 57....you ever want to get rid of it shoot me a PM. I love books in 6.0-8.0 condition (even though a lot of mid-grade haters around here don't mad.gifgossip.gif)

Who bashes mid-grades around here? I hear people say that a lot, but I don't see it. If anything, there are people with date stamp pet peeves and writing pet peeves and Marvel chipping pet peeves, but I don't think I've seen anyone bash mid-grade books.

You could be right, I may just be misinterpreting people's insistance on HG for their own collections as disdain towards mid-grades in general. confused-smiley-013.gif Maybe it's nothing specific, just a general tone that anything that's not HG isn't worth looking at.

or maybe I am just jealous that people can afford NM+ copies when I can only go for F/VF. gossip.gif

There are very few collectors who can afford all of their books in NM. I make a very good living, but I still don't feel like I could justify, on any level, spending enough on my comic collection to own everything I want in NM. Spending time on these boards will at first make you want to spend every spare dollar you have to acquire uber-high-grade copies of everything you're looking for. I definitely went through that phase myself. But since that time, I have come to realize that I am a lot happier with a presentable, multi-hundred dollar copy of an early ASM or FF in 7.0 to 9.0 than I am with a multi-thousand dollar NM copy in a slab, only to find that the interior of the effing slab beat the sh*it out of the overhang on the book. Christo_pull_hair.gif

or maybe I am just jealous that people can afford NM+ copies when I can only go for F/VF. gossip.gif

There are very few collectors who can afford all of their books in NM. I make a very good living, but I still don't feel like I could justify, on any level, spending enough on my comic collection to own everything I want in NM. Spending time on these boards will at first make you want to spend every spare dollar you have to acquire uber-high-grade copies of everything you're looking for. I definitely went through that phase myself. But since that time, I have come to realize that I am a lot happier with a presentable, multi-hundred dollar copy of an early ASM or FF in 7.0 to 9.0 than I am with a multi-thousand dollar NM copy in a slab, only to find that the interior of the effing slab beat the sh*it out of the overhang on the book. Christo_pull_hair.gif

I didn't want to give the impression that I want every book in NM, that (to me) is insane if you are looking for anything more than a small collection. I wouldn't buy NM copies of everything even if I had the disposable income to do so. No, I am perfectly happy with my 6.0 - 8.0 books 99% of the time. However, there are several that I would love to have in NM (Sinister House 1; Batman 227; X-Men 56 to name a few) that are out of my price range right now. Seeing the HG posting parades that go on around here is both awe inspiring and frustrating. However, I can honestly say that nothing in this hobby has added more to my love for comics, and increased my wantlist, more than these boards. thumbsup2.gif.

I'm with you. The only silvers I'll ever be able to afford are probably 6.0-8.0, so I'm a big fan of them as well. thumbsup2.gif

Nice books Khurst 34, say it with me now, "low grade is good". So is any grade as long as you read them before slabbing.

I just wanted to add a few comments on PG"X" Grading, just because it's on this topic thread. I send in a group of books just prior to PG"A" becoming PG"X" and here are the results FYI (my grade first, then PG"X"). I consider myself to be a very tight grader and I was surprised at how tight they were. I'd buy one of their graded books any day, and expect a beauty. Selling on the other hand won't be for quite a while until the market pays a premium. Until then, they are all safe at home. On a similar note, I've always been generally pleased with any CGC book that I've purchased also. I have yet to send books to CGC due to the long distance from Alaska, but I'm planning on sending in a few beauties in the near future.

ASM 34 (VF/NM VF+)

TOS 36 (VF/NM VF)

TOS 11 (VF- F+)

X-Men 95 (NM- VF/NM)

Defenders 1 (NM- VF+)

ASM 90 (NM+ NM+)

ASM GS 4 (VF/NM VF/NM)

Hulk 162 (VF/NM VF/NM)

ASM 44 (VF- VF+)

M. Premier 15 (VF VF)

MTUP 2 (NM- VF/NM)

MTUP 3 (NM- VF+)