• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The FF increasing reconaisance/price fever...

71 posts in this topic

Here's more on the topic. I thought about it all the way home from work.

When talking about common, low collectable books (such as common 90's books), demand has nothing to do with their value. The value of a book will always be worth at least cover price. It's worth what you paid. Of course that's ONLY if you don't tear it up and lower it's condition. Then yes, of course it will decrease.

The reason there is no demand for these books is because collectors don't want to by books worth $1.00. There's no chance of financial gain with them, so it severally hurts the demand of the book. I think we all can agree with that. But just because you can't sell a $1.00 book for $1.00 doesn't mean that's not what it's worth.

Take vehicles for example. If cars NEVER lessed in condition, i.e. the engine, body, etc. never lost any quality whatsoever, the value of a car would never depreciate. If mileage didn't matter, if it never became worn in any way, if the engine was like new even after 300,000 miles .. .it would still be worth what you paid for it and what you put into it. Of course, that's not the case, so the value of cars decreases. As does worn comics. But a non-worn comic should not depreciate in value either.

If you look in any guide, I've never seen any book valued at lower than it's cover price. There's a logic to that. You're reading it. But yes, you'll never sell those book for what they're worth because there is no chance that the value will ever increase. So who wants to go on eBay and buy $1.00 books for $0.01 each, pay $3.00 shipping, and hope that they increase in value? NOBODY. And that's why there is no demand. No collectability = no demand.

But if you were going to get insurance on your entire collection, would you not include all your $1.00 books (if you had some)? I know I would. They're still $1.00 and that can add up if you have a lot. You wouldn't say they're worth 15 cents cause there is no demand.

makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

If that's true, then why can you buy boxes and boxes of those books in NM uncirculated condition from Joe Koch for a nickel per book?

Because there's no demand, correct. The books have no collectability, so people know they won't be able to get rid of them for $1.00 a piece because there is no chance that a collector will make any profit from buying the book and selling it later. But it's still $1.00 (or cover price) if you're going to add up the total value of your entire collection. makepoint.gif I know people do it, don't try to tell me they don't.

Sometimes I think you guys live on another planet. I'm sorry but this is rubbish. All of my $1.00 books in NM condition are still worth $1.00 in my mind. I am QUITE aware that I would never be able to get more than 10 or 20 cents per book if I sold them all, but that doesn't mean the value is 10 cents.

I am sorry, but in the real world it does.

Sometimes I think you guys live on another planet. I'm sorry but this is rubbish. All of my $1.00 books in NM condition are still worth $1.00 in my mind. I am QUITE aware that I would never be able to get more than 10 or 20 cents per book if I sold them all, but that doesn't mean the value is 10 cents. Demand ISN'T everything. You high and mighty, high-grade only, modern-haters only think it is. hi.gif

In many other types of collecting hobbies, demand doesn't set the value. So why are comics so different? Rubbish I tell you.

Sorry, K-Hurst, but I think you're delusional. We definitely live on different planets. How is a book "worth" $1 when you admit that you couldn't get more than 10 or 20 cents per book if you sold it?

Why aren't your books all worth $1,000 then? After all, the only thing that matters is how much YOU value them, right? screwy.gif

Sometimes I think you guys live on another planet. I'm sorry but this is rubbish. All of my $1.00 books in NM condition are still worth $1.00 in my mind. I am QUITE aware that I would never be able to get more than 10 or 20 cents per book if I sold them all, but that doesn't mean the value is 10 cents. Demand ISN'T everything. You high and mighty, high-grade only, modern-haters only think it is. hi.gif

In many other types of collecting hobbies, demand doesn't set the value. So why are comics so different? Rubbish I tell you.

Sorry, K-Hurst, but I think you're delusional. We definitely live on different planets. How is a book "worth" $1 when you admit that you couldn't get more than 10 or 20 cents per book if you sold it?

Why aren't your books all worth $1,000 then? After all, the only thing that matters is how much YOU value them, right? screwy.gif

Forget it. I've explained that exact question 3 times and no one still understands. Just forget it. sorry.gif

I NEVER said that books are worth as much as YOU value them. Where'd you get that crazy idea? screwy.gif

27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif27_laughing.gif

Sometimes I think you guys live on another planet. I'm sorry but this is rubbish. All of my $1.00 books in NM condition are still worth $1.00 in my mind . I am QUITE aware that I would never be able to get more than 10 or 20 cents per book if I sold them all, but that doesn't mean the value is 10 cents. Demand ISN'T everything. You high and mighty, high-grade only, modern-haters only think it is.

Khurst, not to beat a dead horse, but if nobody will give you $1 a book, but will give you $.25, then the books are worth, on the open market, $.25. However you feel the books are worth more, therefore you dont sell. Your value is higher than the value that the market has assigned.

Demand ISN'T everything

Like Vince Lombardi said about winning, its the only thing. If demand isnt everything, then what are the other components that determine value? Ive got about 75 Image comics from the early 90's, and I would be tickled pink if I could get guide price for them. I cant, because the demand price/value is no where near the guide price/value. Something is only worth what someone will pay for it.

Please just admit that you drank too much last night, did a little crack this morning and was contemplating how nice it would be to have a ten year boy slave. 893whatthe.gif

Then we will forgive you for "a book that would only sell for $.25 is still worth a dollar" statement.

tongue.gif

I'm just kidding with you. 27_laughing.gif

Everyone says some stuff that doesn't make sense, then tries to defend their argument, only to make a statement that makes less sense than the first statement. DID THAT MAKE SENSE?

Please just admit that you drank too much last night, did a little crack this morning and was contemplating how nice it would be to have a ten year boy slave. 893whatthe.gif

Then we will forgive you for "a book that would only sell for $.25 is still worth a dollar" statement.

tongue.gif

Everyone says some stuff that doesn't make sense, then tries to defend their argument, only to make a statement that makes less sense than the first statement. DID THAT MAKE SENSE?

No, i mean yes, but not really.

tongue.gif

screwy.gif27_laughing.gif Yes, it made sense.

FF was the one who it seems to me that increased very little on the price guide, up until the begining of the 90's to the end of the decade, but now, well, it seems to catch or even surpase the big X-men family, and it doesn't stop. laugh.gif

Where are you getting this idea from? FF used to be the most valuable Marvel title until the popularity of Spidey eventually outdistanced it in the Guide, but no other Marvel title ever has. The free market prices for Spidey and FF since CGC started have been very similar when comparing issue-to-issue, at least when you don't compare keys to non-keys of the same issue number, although the price parity has been more a result of the lower populations of early FF issues than equivalent popularity amongst collectors.

X-Men issues have always lagged behind both Spidey and FF until the Bronze age, which is when X-Men beats every other title.

Something is only worth what someone will pay for it.

So if I wanted to purchase your life, but I wouldn't dare pay any more than $15 for it, is that all your life is worth?

confused-smiley-013.gif

CONGRATULATIONS!!! yay.gif That may qualify as the single dumbest post in the history of these message boards. yay.gif

Fair Market Value is defined as the price that a willing buyer and a willing seller would agree to sell an item for on the open market in an arms-length transaction. Just because you wouldn't pay more doesn't mean someone else would. Otherwise, the Church copy of Action #1 would be worth whatever money you had in your bank account at any given moment.

So if I wanted to purchase your life, but I wouldn't dare pay any more than $15 for it, is that all your life is worth?

confused-smiley-013.gif

CONGRATULATIONS!!! yay.gif That may qualify as the single dumbest post in the history of these message boards. yay.gif

Fair Market Value is defined as the price that a willing buyer and a willing seller would agree to sell an item for on the open market in an arms-length transaction. Just because you wouldn't pay more doesn't mean someone else would. Otherwise, the Church copy of Action #1 would be worth whatever money you had in your bank account at any given moment.

FFB. Thanks for the great compliment. But he did not specify whether something is worth what both the buyer and seller are willing to agree on. He simply stated what "someone is willing to pay for it."

Read, FFB. Read. And do you really think I'm serious??? 893naughty-thumb.gif So now that technically makes your post pretty d@mn stupid.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Wow! That is truely asinine. Are you saying you would give 15 of your FFs for his life. I bet he could get at least an FF 55 and a Hulk 181 (minus the MVS of course).

I think what you are confusing is the new vs. back issues market. On the new market your books were worth cover price (unless you get them from Bulldog in which case they are 40% off thumbsup2.gif). In the back issues market they can be worth more but most are unmovable at coverprice. Like it or not that's the way it works. But my point still stands... any price guide that values Valiant and Image Comics at cover price 5 years after they crashed is a pipe dream.

confused-smiley-013.gif

This entire time, I haven't necessarily been talking about FMV. The term "FMV" was never technically used by me or anyone disagreeing with me. And I sure as $^%!$% was never talking about such lofty books as an Action #1. I never made it a point in this thread to discuss anything other than books with low collectability.

Again. Read, FFB. Read.

Guys, leave Khurst alone! I for one like his radical revision of classic market valuation theory and am delighted to now be living in a trillion dollar house, driving in a billion dollar car and admiring my gazillion dollar comic collection. In fact, this is going to make getting a loan from the bank for a mere hundred billion dollars so much easier, because now I can offer my trillion dollar house as collateral. We are so stupid for not having thought of this earlier.

Oh dammit, I just broke the lead on my pencil. I'm out $500,000!!!