• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brittle Pages

78 posts in this topic

I generally stay away from brittle pages, but I have bought a book or two with bad pages. The fact of the matter is that pages that were once brittle can be repaired and Kenny/Matt have proven that. Sure this is only with doing on a small number of books but it is possible.

Assuming a book is stored right, I don't think a OW book with turn brittle in my lifetime.

James G

The fact of the matter is that pages that were once brittle can be repaired and Kenny/Matt have proven that. Sure this is only with doing on a small number of books but it is possible.

Can you elaborate on whatever you know about this process?

Well, I just "ask(ed) CGC" about this business of assigning higher grades to what the OSPG restricts to below 2.0 for brittleness.

They will either,

A. Ignore the question

B. Throw me off the board

C. Justify, or attempt to, how they get away with side-stepping what's considered the standard.

If I'm still around, I'll post the response, or lack thereof.

Well, it's been a full week and they still haven't responded, so I can only assume that they haven't got the "intestinal fortitude" required to give a straight answer.

Wonder what they're afraid of? I always did think this slabbing c r a p was phony. Grading brittle books above Poor seems to prove their disingenious-ness.

quotation marks, spaces, and italics...all in one post!

Brilliant (thumbs u

anyone have any experience with Brittle pages falling apart in a slab? I have 3 books that are 75 years old to date and they haven't changed their appearance in the slab in the 5 years Ive owned them

Over the long term (say 50+ years), honestly, I think we have a problem even with current best-practices.

I've looked at a lot of newsprint 1875-1900 in recent times, and even stuff that comes from bound volumes can be very brown and brittle. There are plenty of environmental factors in play besides just storing the books airtight -- temp and climate as most here know. 1870s is where they started to change over to pulp. The long-term difference between that and the cotton rag paper they used before that is startling.

I guess I'd mostly wonder about how serious people are about climate control in general. I think (hope) we'll see people getting a lot more serious on that front, and on certain conservation methods, within the next couple decades.

The fact of the matter is that pages that were once brittle can be repaired and Kenny/Matt have proven that. Sure this is only with doing on a small number of books but it is possible.

Not an expert, but:

Some of the deacidifying washes that are now in use can reduce brittleness somewhat. Some of these have side-effects and must be used cautiously.

There is also a process called "resizing". A methylcellulose solution is used to strengthen the paper.

Here's an example that walks through the process:

http://www.nli.ie/blog/index.php/2012/12/06/time-capsule-the-innisfail-sails-again/

Not an expert, but:

Some of the deacidifying washes that are now in use can reduce brittleness somewhat. Some of these have side-effects and must be used cautiously.

There is also a process called "resizing". A methylcellulose solution is used to strengthen the paper.

http://www.nli.ie/blog/index.php/2012/12/06/time-capsule-the-innisfail-sails-again/

In terms of brittle comics, I think most of the brittleness in comics is spine and edge centric. You can see here the spine is toast, as well as the outer edges. But going inward the paper is light years ahead of the spine.

IMG_2963_zpsqprzxjl5.jpg

The burnt(that's what I call brittle chippy edges) paper cannot be reversed, just reinforced and or, removed and filled in.

I have worked on enough brittle interiors to know when an interior is totally brittle, or when its just isolated. And in most cases, its isolated.

Granted, it's a book by book assessment. So the term "Brittle" covers a lot of ground.

It would be nice to see a rating of brittleness on a 1-10 scale. Just what we need, right? More stuff on the label.

Not an expert, but:

In terms of brittle comics, I think most of the brittleness in comics is spine and edge centric. You can see here the spine is toast, as well as the outer edges. But going inward the paper is light years ahead of the spine.

IMG_2963_zpsqprzxjl5.jpg

The burnt(that's what I call brittle chippy edges) paper cannot be reversed, just reinforced and or, removed and filled in.

I have worked on enough brittle interiors to know when an interior is totally brittle, or when its just isolated. And in most cases, its isolated.

Granted, it's a book by book assessment. So the term "Brittle" covers a lot of ground.

It would be nice to see a rating of brittleness on a 1-10 scale. Just what we need, right? More stuff on the label.

I think you may have just predicted the future, Kenny. :)

Beats trimmed in my opinion

I'd actually rather have a trimmed book with nice paper than a brittle book that was perfect in every other way.

I agree with you on that. Also a 50 or 60 year old comic with nice paper quality is likely to stay that way another 50 or 60 years so long as it's stored in the right environment.

Not an expert, but:

IMG_2963_zpsqprzxjl5.jpg

I'd hate to think what a 1 might look like on that scale!

Not an expert, but:

IMG_2963_zpsqprzxjl5.jpg

...one could play the old Kansas standard, "Dust In The Wind" while reading it.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Not an expert, but:

IMG_2963_zpsqprzxjl5.jpg

...one could play the old Kansas standard, "Dust In The Wind" while reading it.... GOD BLESS...

That's a flaky response if ever I heard one.

Not an expert, but:

IMG_2963_zpsqprzxjl5.jpg

...listening to Patsy Kline right now...."I Just Fall To Pieces".......GOD BLESS...

Not an expert, but:

IMG_2963_zpsqprzxjl5.jpg

...listening to Patsy Kline right now...."I Just Fall To Pieces".......GOD BLESS...

Now there was a tragic loss.

I saw a nice matted photo of her with her autograph at the Williamsburg Film Festival for a hundred bucks or so..... I almost got it, but that Forbidden Love really swamped me.... GOD BLESS...