• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boxes for shipping comics

24 posts in this topic

I shipped using long boxes many years ago (like 9). I seem to recall most of them arriving O.K. No complaints anyway. At least 3 of them were 'lost.' They were insured so no problems there, but how does one 'lose' a long box of comics? wink.gif

I've shipped several hundred books to CGC using the short comic book boxes. The folks at CGC tell me the books arrived in fine shape.

I bag and board each book. Then I cut several pieces of cardboard just a little bigger than a backer board - about what you would use to sandwich a few books for mailing. Then I stick a piece of the cardboard at each end (to prevent damage from the handle holes) and space out 3 or 4 more evenly down the row of books. I believe these will help the box maintain its integrity from being crushed from the top, bottom, or sides. I put a few foam packing sheets on top of the comics before putting the lid on - this tightens up the books inside the box so they won't bounce up and down. Then I put the lid on and use lots of tape. Make sure you have enough books in the box so they are snug against each other, but not so many they are crushed.

Then I pack the short box inside another box with some newspaper and/or peanut packing around the sides and tape it all up tight. I have used Magazine boxes as the outer boxes. A short comic box will nest nicely inside a magazine box with a little space around the edges for stuffing in newspapers or peanuts. Then use lots of tape.

I recommend marking 'this end up' on the boxes. The post office will probably ignore it, but it's worth a try.

You can pack about 125 books in a box this way.