• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-man #1 Platinum Club

23 posts in this topic

I have about fifty of those x-men holograms. Found em in the bottom of a box of a collection I bought. They cant be worth much right? There has to be a million of them out there.

The silvers seem to be about a $9-10 item on eBay. Not sure about the gold.

I'm curious to know if this book is the first of the retailer incentives that have become so common.

Kind of...

It's a hard question to answer, because it depends on how you define "retailer incentive."

If you don't mind, please elaborate. I guess I erred some in calling this an "incentive", because I believe each retailer got one. So it was more of a reward than an incentive to purchase more copies (I don't think that was needed here!). But this is the first book I can think of with a limited additional "chase" cover produced. I'd appreciate the history lesson.

There were a few before Spiderman #1 that were given as "incentives" to retailers, especially at the annual Diamond and Capital City distributor/retailer summits.

For example, the first (and for a while only) trade paperback that reprinted Blind Justice (Detective #598-600) was a Diamond Summit retailer only incentive (and quite rare.) This was 1989.

The original Man of Steel TPB also came in the "raffle" version, and a copy was also given to the local store of the winner (whatever they identified as their local store.) This was 1986.

Also...the Legends of the Dark Knight #1 "four colors" was a surprise, unknown to anyone outside of DC until they arrived from the printers; they were, of a sort, an incentive to entice people to buy more copies (and help retailers sell copies.)

There are others; when I get home, I might be able to give more.

You are correct about Spiderman #1 Platinum; it wasn't an incentive, it was a reward (as was the Venom #1 Gold, Death #1 Platinum, and others of the 1990-1993 era.)