• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

S-L-O-W-L-Y Getting Back Into Collecting

27 posts in this topic

Folks who've been on the boards a long time knew I was at one time a strong collector of Pre-Codes. I quit collecting in 2006 and got rid of most of my collection, save a few short boxes of some BA (mainly horror.) Back in the 80s I was also a pretty strong "pre-hero Marvel" (Atlas sci-fi/horror/fantasy type books).

I recently decided to slowly get back into collecting and go with the pre-hero/Atlas stuff. I will not be including the pre-code horror issues from titles like ST and JIM. They just lack the post-code feel and, truth be told, I am still overdosed from over 20 years of PCH collecting.

I've begun my collection with seven books from Dale's sale. Over time I will slowly add more. Maybe 2-3/month to start, as funds are low.

I have compiled a full check-list of all the post-codes. Hoping to contribute more to the Pre-Hero Marvel thread as I get my books. But just wanted to formally announce my collecting begins anew. :)

Thanks JJ and KJ! At this point I am not sure of my focus. I know in the beginning I want to get a variety of titles, but I am also liking the idea of including, over time, complete runs of the "off" titles that actually started in the post-code days and never featured super-heroes like Strange Tales of the Unusual and World of Mystery.

It is pretty exciting, actually. And I still have a good store of Mylite 2s, Fullbacks and Micro-Chamber paper.

....It'll be fun....and with patience, nice solid mid-grades can actually be found for reasonable. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I agree. Half the fun is still in the seeking! Of course, the two killers are TTA 13 and TTA 27. Those are two books I wish I had kept, and I owned them more than once. I think I paid about $125 for a solid TTA 27 back in the day, but 13 was just another Big Monster book back then with no premium.

Damned movies! :pullhair:

TTA #27… :cloud9:

Well, about this one movies have little to do with it, IMO. It was already getting costly for people wanting it regardless.

No question even back in the 80s when I got my first copy it was a breakaway book. There was a lot of buzz around it similar to the buzz around HOS 92 and its relationship to Swamp Thing. Back then a nice Kirby Monster could be gotten for 1/10 the TTA 27. But the prices for TTA 27 have recently really hiked. I was looking over some old HA auctions and was shocked how much they have increased.

That’s why – as much as I love Ant-Man – it will be unlikely I’ll ever have one.

My farthest stretch will be to get a FF#1, and then I’m done (in all ways)! lol

An underrated (or maybe more accurately "overshadowed") book nowadays. To me FF1 really is the start of the Marvel SA, even more than Showcase 4 is considered the start of the SA itself.

That’s why – as much as I love Ant-Man – it will be unlikely I’ll ever have one.

An underrated (or maybe more accurately "overshadowed") book nowadays. To me FF1 really is the start of the Marvel SA, even more than Showcase 4 is considered the start of the SA itself.

+1

And with good reason – let’s just not whisper it too loud, at least until I can get one… :ohnoez:

....in the 12 Step programs I've been in over the years there is often talk about "The Monster In The Basement"....... I suppose this would apply to comics as well..... GOD BLESS...

And with good reason – let’s just not whisper it too loud, at least until I can get one… :ohnoez:

Mum's the word! Mum...mum.

....in the 12 Step programs I've been in over the years there is often talk about "The Monster In The Basement"....... I suppose this would apply to comics as well..... GOD BLESS...

World_of_Mystery_Vol_1_4.jpg