• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 45, Dont believe the hype ?:?!!

147 posts in this topic

Ever notice how books that are pumped up pre-movie deflate after the movie has come and gone? That's because the run up in prices doesn't reflect real demand by new fans touched by the film's reach; it reflects people who already put money in comics to focus their speculative dollars on a handful of books, waiting for that perfect time to dump when anticipation for the film is at its highest. Flippers making margins off of flippers, not fans buying copies to keep. Sounds real sustainable.

Yup.

I sold FF #45 CGC 8.5 four years ago for measly $95.

See how I felt about it.

I sold an Avengers 55 in 9.6 a few years back for about $250, I figured that book could never get higher then that. lol

At the center of our Solar System is our Sun......which, coincidentally, is also a HUGE bubble. It is the nature of "things". Our physical bodies are huge bubbles, the Atoms and Molecules of which they are composed..... also huge bubbles. There are no guarantees. In Life, everyone ultimately loses.

Conclusion..... Love what you love, enjoy what you enjoy....while you can. Don't over-emphasize winning, because you're not going to. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

At the center of our Solar System is our Sun......which, coincidentally, is also a HUGE bubble. It is the nature of "things". Our physical bodies are huge bubbles, the Atoms and Molecules of which they are composed..... also huge bubbles. There are no guarantees. In Life, everyone ultimately loses.

Conclusion..... Love what you love, enjoy what you enjoy....while you can. Don't over-emphasize winning, because you're not going to. GOD BLESS....

Winning_zpsuznpwv7f.jpg

I've never seen anyone produce something with actual realistic numbers that has shown that the CPI is wildly off over the time frame we are talking about. They are usually focused in on some outlier that bugs them, and coming up with a number based on "feel".

Not the place for broader economic lessons... but right off the bat you have to know that the CPI is not, nor was it ever intended to be, an "inflation index". The fact that the media doesn't understand the difference doesn't make it so.

The things that matter to people on a daily basis... food, utilities, local taxation, household goods, insurance, are all up dramatically. There are plenty of online sites (real ones... not the kook sites) to support this... or you could just take the time to look at a restaurant menu, your electric bill, a pound of hamburger, increasing mortgage escrow, etc., etc., etc. If you believe all of these things have risen less than 2% per year, then save me a yardspace, 'cause I'm moving to where you live!

the early 90s had this bizarre dynamic of a huge portion of the collector/speculator segment pumping money into new books that were hardly "limited" editions. i terms of a % of dollars spent I am going to have to assume more than what is going into variants today or some hot moderns, which are usually hot because they are fairly limited. it was a ponzi scheme that never made sense to start with when multiple copies of books existed for every collector on the planet. the crash helped drag down vintage stuff that had been lifted as well, at least temporarily, and ebay brought much more material to market (increasing supply), while at the same time increasing liquidity, which was a real problem for collectors pre-ebay. much like the internet bubble/crash dragged down the whole DJI/S&P 500 for a while.

But that implies that the back issue market was collateral damage to the speculator crash. It wasn't. The speculator fever absolutely fueled the back issue market, and was not at all confined to just new issues. Yes, new issue speculation comprised the vast majority of new money into the market from 1990-1993, but it also drove the back issue market to craziness, especially concerning "hot new books" that were related to back issue characters, like Ghost Rider, Thanos, Guardians of the Galaxy (yes, folks, this ain't the first time MSH #18 was a sought after book), Silver Sable, Dethlok, etc.

In 1987, there were only four Silver Age books over $1,000 in NM condition, and 99% of them were $100 or under. Aquaman #1 was a $45 book. Cap #100 was $9. TOS #58 was $7. Avengers #1 was $400, and #4 was $150. House of Mystery #143 was $2.

A scant six years later, all of those books were hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars.

And we aren't even beginning to discuss the very real problem of people who paid premiums for undisclosed restored books. Many, many examples exist of people who STILL haven't recovered from that, 20 years after the fact.

Yes, although for the SA stuff those prices were just silly low quite often, particularly when compared to some hot modern book of 1987. The SA prices sat flat for a really long time and they were due for a jump. As for the BA stuff, yes, 1990s revivals helped some otherwise dead back issues quite a bit and when those 1990s re-boots floundered, so did the BA back issues. Hence the multiple copies of MSH 18 i picked out of dollar boxes, the Marvel Spotlight 5 for $2, multiple copies of IM 55 for under $5 and multiple AT 25s for $2 or less...I miss those days in the mid/late 90s (not that every dollar box book was a winner..my affinity for Conan, Marvel Two In One and Marvel Team-Up..uhg...at least the Luke Cage books are picking up steam!)

I've never seen anyone produce something with actual realistic numbers that has shown that the CPI is wildly off over the time frame we are talking about. They are usually focused in on some outlier that bugs them, and coming up with a number based on "feel".

Not the place for broader economic lessons... but right off the bat you have to know that the CPI is not, nor was it ever intended to be, an "inflation index". The fact that the media doesn't understand the difference doesn't make it so.

The things that matter to people on a daily basis... food, utilities, local taxation, household goods, insurance, are all up dramatically. There are plenty of online sites (real ones... not the kook sites) to support this... or you could just take the time to look at a restaurant menu, your electric bill, a pound of hamburger, increasing mortgage escrow, etc., etc., etc. If you believe all of these things have risen less than 2% per year, then save me a yardspace, 'cause I'm moving to where you live!

My understanding is that how CPI is defined/calculated was adjusted at some point during the Clinton years as I recall in an effort to lower the number to help lower cost of living adjustments for entitlements and other gov payments, something were happy to go along with as well. Now, before that happened was it actually more accurate? I have no idea. It sure feels like most "regular" prices at the supermarket are insane and the only way you won't get savaged is to buy something on sale or with a coupon, but that's just a "feeling" and maybe more about how the price things to make you feel like you're getting a deal on those sales.

the early 90s had this bizarre dynamic of a huge portion of the collector/speculator segment pumping money into new books that were hardly "limited" editions. i terms of a % of dollars spent I am going to have to assume more than what is going into variants today or some hot moderns, which are usually hot because they are fairly limited. it was a ponzi scheme that never made sense to start with when multiple copies of books existed for every collector on the planet. the crash helped drag down vintage stuff that had been lifted as well, at least temporarily, and ebay brought much more material to market (increasing supply), while at the same time increasing liquidity, which was a real problem for collectors pre-ebay. much like the internet bubble/crash dragged down the whole DJI/S&P 500 for a while.

But that implies that the back issue market was collateral damage to the speculator crash. It wasn't. The speculator fever absolutely fueled the back issue market, and was not at all confined to just new issues. Yes, new issue speculation comprised the vast majority of new money into the market from 1990-1993, but it also drove the back issue market to craziness, especially concerning "hot new books" that were related to back issue characters, like Ghost Rider, Thanos, Guardians of the Galaxy (yes, folks, this ain't the first time MSH #18 was a sought after book), Silver Sable, Dethlok, etc.

In 1987, there were only four Silver Age books over $1,000 in NM condition, and 99% of them were $100 or under. Aquaman #1 was a $45 book. Cap #100 was $9. TOS #58 was $7. Avengers #1 was $400, and #4 was $150. House of Mystery #143 was $2.

A scant six years later, all of those books were hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars.

And we aren't even beginning to discuss the very real problem of people who paid premiums for undisclosed restored books. Many, many examples exist of people who STILL haven't recovered from that, 20 years after the fact.

Yes, although for the SA stuff those prices were just silly low quite often, particularly when compared to some hot modern book of 1987. The SA prices sat flat for a really long time and they were due for a jump. As for the BA stuff, yes, 1990s revivals helped some otherwise dead back issues quite a bit and when those 1990s re-boots floundered, so did the BA back issues. Hence the multiple copies of MSH 18 i picked out of dollar boxes, the Marvel Spotlight 5 for $2, multiple copies of IM 55 for under $5 and multiple AT 25s for $2 or less...I miss those days in the mid/late 90s (not that every dollar box book was a winner..my affinity for Conan, Marvel Two In One and Marvel Team-Up..uhg...at least the Luke Cage books are picking up steam!)

A rising tide........ 1989 Batman mega hit (....yes, Hollywood)....... GOD BLESS....

???

"the real rate of inflation over the past 4 to 5 years is somewhere between 25% and 40%"

this seems pretty high, particularly with gas prices way down. with that said, in 2007-2008 we saw real estate prices in some markets really plummet. so if they have bounced back 50% in the last 4 or 5 years that is going to make it appear that the COL is going up (although the CPI is based on rent i think, not home prices, although home prices will no doubt influence rent)

I would sell any and all 55's and 57's now! Especially the 55.

Why?

Usually selling right before the movie is the best time while people are still speculating. Once Ultron has had his day, I don't see him keeping the huge spotlight and attracting a larger number of investors. Unless he is going to play a major part in the Avengers 3, which I don't see happening. If you are getting a deal buying the book, go for it, otherwise I would put that one close to the top of the superhero related do not buy books.

???

???

Funny how the people talking about all of that inflation never produce any numbers showing how they calculated it. :D

Inflation has been very, very low since the financial crisis. I'd love to see the crazy basket of goods someone would have to come up with to show 25% inflation over the last 5 years.

Take gas--

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart.aspx?time=60

That's deflation.

:gossip:

As always, the single piece of the picture never tells the whole story.

That's what I've been saying.

;)

I would love for this thread to go in this direction :). Veritas genero veritas.