• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYX 3 First Appearance of X-23 Appreciation thread...

77 posts in this topic

This is the book when I first got back into comics around 2006 I had to get… Over the years I had a great success rate at selecting raw copies from ebay and getting them back 9.8…. as of today I know the market has doubled for this book and although I sold many of the ones I owned in the past I find myself in the hunt for solid copies… I have 2 so far in the 9.4 range… I hope to find me some gems once more…

Please share what you got...

Great book & very random. Pulled this one from a $0.50 bin at WW Philly last year.

(had it sold & then the buyer pulled out like a half hour ago)

IMG_4708_zpsirecg5lu.jpg

Still got about 3 or 4 more raw copies at home to get sent in that are better grade. Don't know why I bought multiples (since I don't sell) but hey... in a pinch, it's like free money.

I have 2 9.8s, bought one, which got a little mixed up, so bought another just in case, and then the first one got sorted out lol, so ended up with 2. Havent followed the price on it in a while, has it really jumped that much?

I have 2 9.8s, bought one, which got a little mixed up, so bought another just in case, and then the first one got sorted out lol, so ended up with 2. Havent followed the price on it in a while, has it really jumped that much?

Yes it has! I'll buy one of you're selling...

lol I appreciate the offer, but she's one of my favourite characters, and I happy to own 2 for the foreseeable future. I only mentioned the two because it seemed like we were doing an appreciation thread. Wasnt trying to fish or anything.

I actually really wanted a 9.9 a few years back, and tried hard to get one up for sale. Couldnt pry one loose, and if the price has doubled on 9.8s, I can only imagine where the 9.9s would sell for now.

There's one in a boardie sig I see from time to time.

I have a 9.8 #3 and a 9.8 #4 in the PC.

I'm up and down on this character.

Sometimes she is written well, and I enjoy her. Other times it seems they aren't sure what to do with her.

I have an Uncanny X-Men #450 in the PC as well, but haven't been able to find a #451 9.8 anywhere.

Big UXM fan, and wanted her first story arc in the title.

Sometimes I get the itch to get all her books, then it goes away.

One day I might try.

lol I appreciate the offer, but she's one of my favourite characters, and I happy to own 2 for the foreseeable future. I only mentioned the two because it seemed like we were doing an appreciation thread. Wasnt trying to fish or anything.

I actually really wanted a 9.9 a few years back, and tried hard to get one up for sale. Couldnt pry one loose, and if the price has doubled on 9.8s, I can only imagine where the 9.9s would sell for now.

There's one in a boardie sig I see from time to time.

9.9"s are cool aren't they. :shy:

I know almost nothing about this character - I haven't read anything in the mutant world since the late 90s!

Anyone want to give me an executive summary that doesn't involve me going to some wiki site?

She is Wolverine's "daughter" via cloning. Character is the sort of standard, struggling with humanity vs being a killing machine. She is a all round general bad-, and gained in popularity due to more exposure via the more recent X-Force comics. A covert team of mutants lead by wolverine to do the dirty black ops type missions that involve lots of violence.

I know almost nothing about this character - I haven't read anything in the mutant world since the late 90s!

Anyone want to give me an executive summary that doesn't involve me going to some wiki site?

Clone of Wolvie.

Two claws in hands, one in feet.

She's been quite a few titles, and is currently starring in the weekly Wolverines series. Which is a decent read. Not great by any means, but entertaining enough if you like the X-universe/characters.

When a top-secret program attempted to recreate the original Weapon X experiment that involved the feral mutant Wolverine, they failed to secure a test subject that could survive the bonding of the virtually unbreakable metal Adamantium to their skeleton. Seeking to take the project in a new direction, the project's director, Doctor Martin Sutter, recruited renowned mutant geneticist Doctor Sarah Kinney and tasked her with creating a clone. Using the only available genetic sample from Weapon X, which was damaged, they were unable to salvage the Y chromosome after 22 attempts. Kinney then proposed they create a female clone, and though her request was initially denied, she still went ahead and produced a viable female subject, prompting Sutter to reconsider. Despite resistance from his protégé Doctor Zander Rice, whom he had raised after Rice's father was killed by a bestial Wolverine at the original Weapon X Project, Sutter allowed Kinney to proceed. As revenge for her insubordination, Rice forced Kinney to act as the surrogate mother for the clone, and she gave birth to "X-23."

Raised in captivity, X-23 was trained to be a weapon. Kinney did her best to ensure the child retained some semblance of humanity, but her efforts appeared to be in vain. After seven years, Rice had X-23 subjected to radiation poisoning in order to accelerate the activation of her mutant gene, then forcibly extracted her claws and coated them with Adamantium. Next, Rice created a chemical compound he called "trigger scent" that sent X-23 into an involuntary berserker rage upon smelling its presence. Three years later, X-23 was sent on her first field mission to kill Presidential candidate Greg Johnson. Numerous other missions followed, as X-23's services were sold to the highest bidder, and she was left emotionally stunted as a result. Rice, in an attempt to avenge his father's murder, abandoned X-23 on a particularly dangerous mission, but she survived against overwhelming odds and managed to return to the facility.

Ultimately, Rice persuaded Sutter to hand over control of the program to him, then secretly ordered X-23 to kill Sutter and his family. Later, Rice revealed to Kinney a chamber with dozens of incubation pods containing female clones before he fired her. Before fleeing the facility with X-23, Kinney gave her one last mission - destroy the pods and kill Rice. However, Rice was able to exact revenge on Kinney from beyond the grave, as he had earlier exposed her to the trigger scent, sending X-23 into a rage that caused her to kill her mother. As she lay dying, Kinney named X-23 Laura.