• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cable (1993) #1 Logo Variant Question

16 posts in this topic

Hi, I just recently noticed that there are three different logo variants for Cable (1993) #1.

The most common seems to be the gold foil cover. However, I have also seen a yellow logo and white logo. I searched the internet and could not find much info about the cover variants. I don't think any of the price guides, online or offline, mention it. I found one site that says the white logo did not feature a wrap-around cover, but that's it.

Are the yellow and/or white variants second prints or printing errors? Are the white or yellow variants worth anything?

Just wondering. Thanks!

cable%201%20gold_zps2rfovs4d.jpg

cable%201%20yellow_zpsbd7oosf9.jpg

cable%201%20white_zpse0oawvro.jpg

The bottom two look like errors, where the gold foil was not applied.

I have one of these, no gold foil, no yellow on the word "Cable." I sent it in to CGC just to get a green "Qualified" label, and they instead put it in a blue "Universal" label.

:shrug:

-slym

Hi, I just recently noticed that there are three different logo variants for Cable (1993) #1.

The most common seems to be the gold foil cover. However, I have also seen a yellow logo and white logo. I searched the internet and could not find much info about the cover variants. I don't think any of the price guides, online or offline, mention it. I found one site that says the white logo did not feature a wrap-around cover, but that's it.

Are the yellow and/or white variants second prints or printing errors? Are the white or yellow variants worth anything?

Just wondering. Thanks!

cable%201%20gold_zps2rfovs4d.jpg

cable%201%20yellow_zpsbd7oosf9.jpg

The dress is blue and gold.

In other words, the "yellow" is just the regular gold foil, under different lighting conditions. If you look very closely, you can see the shadow of the embossing.

cable%201%20white_zpse0oawvro.jpg

I would have to see an actual copy pictured, rather than just a "picture", to see if this actually exists, rather than being a photoshop.

Unlike the other copies pictured, Slym's copy is a newsstand edition.

I am not sure if that is relevant to the discussion or not. (shrug)

It is - I was working at a newsstand at that point in time, and as I was putting the comics out on the delivery-day, I noticed this one didn't get all the foil that the rest did, and bought it for myself.

:D

-slym

Didn't Marvel put out Direct Regular and Direct deluxe editions at one point during the 90's? I have both direct logo versions of ASM 388.

Here scroll down to take a look.

http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/amazing-spider-man/8

They did, but IIRC, both direct & newstand editions of this comic were the same except for the UPC code versus some sort of X-logo in the box.

:)

-slym

Unlike the other copies pictured, Slym's copy is a newsstand edition.

I am not sure if that is relevant to the discussion or not. (shrug)

Yes, I noticed that...however, all newsstand copies were supposed to have the gold foil logo.

Also...in that era, Marvel usually did produce a "non-enhanced" version, and typically the non-enhanced was for both the direct and the newsstand (see, for example, War Machine #1, Guardians of the Galaxy #25, most of the 2099 #25s, Thor #475, etc), and the non-enhanced was cheaper than the enhanced.

Here, we have the newsstand "non-enhanced" with the same price as the regular...I'm going to go with "foil didn't make it" error.

Didn't Marvel put out Direct Regular and Direct deluxe editions at one point during the 90's? I have both direct logo versions of ASM 388.

Here scroll down to take a look.

http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/amazing-spider-man/8

They did, but IIRC, both direct & newstand editions of this comic were the same except for the UPC code versus some sort of X-logo in the box.

:)

-slym

Yes, and the newsstands have the Curtis Circulation symbol along with the title code, whereas the directs have the UK price.

Y'know, I never noticed that before, RMA. And I have one of each, took this picture (before I had the one sent off to the CGC) to show the differences between my error copy & the regular, and now that I know to look for it, I can clearly see the differences between the direct & newsstand copies. (I got the direct one from my LCS when I had my pull-list with them, even working at my newsstand.)

001jax.jpg

(thumbs u

-slym