• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

James Bond XXIV: SPECTRE - "You're a kite dancing in a hurricane Mr. Bond."

235 posts in this topic

My dark horse pick for the next James Bond is Richard Armitage (who is debuting as Francis Dolarhyde, a.k.a. the "Red Dragon", in this week's episode of Hannibal).

He's too short. :D

He's 6'2". :gossip:

Craig - 5'10"

Brosnan - 6'2"

Dalton - 6'2"

Moore - 6'1"

Lazenby - 6'2"

Connery - 6'2"

:baiting:

If you are basing it on suave, good-looking charmer, then Brosnan would likely be at the top of the heap. lol

Bond can be a suave, good-looking charmer, but he can also be hard and ruthless. Brosnan and Moore were too much of the former and not enough of the latter (not that each didn't have his moments). Craig is the opposite - too much brooding thug and not enough International Man of Mystery. hm

As far as ranking previous Bonds

3. Sean Connery - What can be said except he set the standard for others to follow. Really just played an extension of himself. Where Connery loses points is the way he manhandles women during his era. I am sure it looked fine for the day, but can't watch any of his Bond films with my girlfriend

Well, like you said, that was the era and how the character was written. It's not like the Bonds that followed didn't manhandle women either - just off the top of my head, look at how Dalton manhandles General Pushkin's wife in The Living Daylights, or how Roger Moore gets very physical with Maud Adams in The Man With the Golden Gun in the hotel room scene (and again in Octopussy). Connery certainly wasn't the only Bond to do so.

5. George Lazenby - Lazenby suffered from bad -script writing, the intent by producers covering his face, and jokes through in throughout the film to say this is not Bond. Of course this film also had the worst Bond Girl character ever created as well.

What? Dr. Christmas Jones, anyone? Bibi Dahl?? Stacey Sutton??? There's so many more names you'd have to run through before you got to Diana Rigg's Tracy!

If you are basing it on suave, good-looking charmer, then Brosnan would likely be at the top of the heap. lol

Bond can be a suave, good-looking charmer, but he can also be hard and ruthless. Brosnan and Moore were too much of the former and not enough of the latter (not that each didn't have his moments). Craig is the opposite - too much brooding thug and not enough International Man of Mystery. hm

3. Sean Connery - What can be said except he set the standard for others to follow. Really just played an extension of himself. Where Connery loses points is the way he manhandles women during his era. I am sure it looked fine for the day, but can't watch any of his Bond films with my girlfriend

Well, like you said, that was the era and how the character was written. It's not like the Bonds that followed didn't manhandle women either - just off the top of my head, look at how Dalton manhandles General Pushkin's wife in The Living Daylights, or how Roger Moore gets very physical with Maud Adams in The Man With the Golden Gun in the hotel room scene. Connery certainly wasn't the only Bond to do so.

5. George Lazenby - Lazenby suffered from bad -script writing, the intent by producers covering his face, and jokes through in throughout the film to say this is not Bond. Of course this film also had the worst Bond Girl character ever created as well.

What? Dr. Christmas Jones, anyone? Bibi Dahl?? Stacey Sutton??? There's so many more names you'd have to run through before you got to Diana Rigg's Tracy!

Hell yeah!

Imagine harshing on Diana Rigg... :screwy:

The next Bond is an easy pick for me. I want someone we can have in the role for a long time and not worry about recasting.

I think we are left with two choices Theo James or Benedict Cumberbatch.

1. Dalton - Best actor of the bunch. In fact was originally considered to be Connery's replacement in On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Comes across the way you would think James Bond would act.

2. Daniel Craig - Craig by far the second best actor off the bunch and feels like he is playing the extension of Timothy Dalton.

4. Pierce Brosnan - His Bond movies were fun over the top and brought relevance to a franchise that was struggling

6. Roger Moore - Moore is just not James Bond. All Moore is doing is playing an extension of the Saint. Moore also hurt his standing by staying in two Bond films too many because age caught up with him. Moore's Bond films are nothing more than Saint films and I will leave it at that.

Dude I can even begin to disagree with you.

#4 shows us all you should lose your Bond watching man card. :slapfight:

I give you Goldeneye, but the rest were a disgrace to the Bond franchise.

The next Bond is an easy pick for me. I want someone we can have in the role for a long time and not worry about recasting.

1. Dalton - Best actor of the bunch. In fact was originally considered to be Connery's replacement in On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Comes across the way you would think James Bond would act.

2. Daniel Craig - Craig by far the second best actor off the bunch and feels like he is playing the extension of Timothy Dalton.

4. Pierce Brosnan - His Bond movies were fun over the top and brought relevance to a franchise that was struggling

6. Roger Moore - Moore is just not James Bond. All Moore is doing is playing an extension of the Saint. Moore also hurt his standing by staying in two Bond films too many because age caught up with him. Moore's Bond films are nothing more than Saint films and I will leave it at that.

Moore has 3 of the worst films of the franchise Moonraker, Octopussy, and A View To a Kill.

Moore has 3 of the worst films of the franchise Moonraker, Octopussy, and A View To a Kill.

They were terrible as well, but nothing about Pierce's Bonds were good. He was an embarrassment to the franchise.

Unless you enjoyed Tsunami surfing. :facepalm:

90's Bond has the lamest Bond girls and villains.

What timing!

Welcome your new James Bond once Daniel Craig retires...

ElxNvWj.jpg

David Oyelowo Next To ‘Play James Bond’

David Oyelowo is next up to play James Bond… after snaring the role in a forthcoming audiobook.

The star of ‘Selma’, in which he played Martin Luther King Jr, was personally invited to take on the part by the estate of Ian Fleming, the creator of 007.

What timing!

Welcome your new James Bond once Daniel Craig retires...

ElxNvWj.jpg

David Oyelowo Next To ‘Play James Bond’

David Oyelowo is next up to play James Bond… after snaring the role in a forthcoming audiobook.

The star of ‘Selma’, in which he played Martin Luther King Jr, was personally invited to take on the part by the estate of Ian Fleming, the creator of 007.

He's reading the role for an audio book. What reason is there to believe they'll also pick him for the films?

He's reading the role for an audio book. What reason is there to believe they'll also pick him for the films?

Did you read the entire article? I'm asking because if you read further down...

I'm now twice as puzzled given that your quote is one confirming only that he's playing James Bond in an audio book. ???

I'm now twice as puzzled given that your quote is one confirming only that he's playing James Bond in an audio book. ???

In other words, the Ian Fleming Estate selected him as the audio book voice actor going forward, which is strongly hinting at he is the movie actor as well.

Odds on Oyelowo becoming the next Bond in the movies have now been slashed. William Hill is offering 5/1 in a dramatic drop from the previous 50/1.

In other words, the Ian Fleming Foundation selected him as the audio book voice actor going forward, which is strongly hinting at he is the movie actor as well.

Odds on Oyelowo becoming the next Bond in the movies have now been slashed. William Hill is offering 5/1 in a dramatic drop from the previous 50/1.

Yes, that's the exact line that told me that this ISN'T the next Bond. Until then, the article was intentionally misleading readers to believe that he had already been selected, but that line tells you he hasn't. I really hate these slimy journalists who exaggerate like hell for effect. :makepoint:

CNN did a MUCH better job of framing up how he plays into the Bond universe than that previous article.

David Oyelowo to play James Bond -- on audiobook

Don't start celebrating the first black James Bond just yet.

According to The Guardian, British "Selma" star David Oyelowo says he's been picked to portray Bond and other characters in the audiobook version of the upcoming novel "Trigger Mortis."

The book was written by Anthony Horowitz and approved by Bond creator Ian Fleming's estate. Oyelowo says he also got the stamp of approval.

"I was asked specifically by the Fleming estate, which is really special," he told The Guardian.

CNN did a MUCH better job of framing up how he plays into the Bond universe than that previous article.

According to The Guardian, British "Selma" star David Oyelowo says he's been picked to portray Bond and other characters in the audiobook version of the upcoming novel "Trigger Mortis."

The book was written by Anthony Horowitz and approved by Bond creator Ian Fleming's estate. Oyelowo says he also got the stamp of approval.

"I was asked specifically by the Fleming estate, which is really special," he told The Guardian.

omg

Does anyone have to "celebrate" the skin color of a fictional character?

I guess the world won't be a just place until there's a black Frodo, Superman, or Doctor Who.

doh!

omg

Does anyone have to "celebrate" the skin color of a fictional character?

I guess the world won't be a just place until there's a black Frodo, Superman, or Doctor Who.

doh!

It's called growing demo's especially in the 3rd world. White man just ain't reproducing and Africa and India is expected to have a population increse of a combined 4 billion by 2100. What I'm saying is, get used to it. :baiting: