• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows - 6/3/16

43 posts in this topic

First Wave Of Reviews For TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: OUT OF THE SHADOWS Are Exactly What You Expected

There are also a few story problems. Let me be clear; the issues with story in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows are nowhere near as severe as those in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014). However, perhaps owing to the number of characters that needed to be set up, there’s a charging, chaotic feel to the first half an hour, as we zip from event to event. Even after this, it just doesn’t quite hang together. It’s a bit stop-start, moving from one sequence to the next without building any momentum until the last half an hour or so. It feels a bit odd giving this film the same star rating that I gave the first (a rating I stand by), as it is miles better. I do think it’s a three star film, but it’s a three star film that I kind of love. This is why star ratings are rubbish. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows is a big, fun summer blockbuster, and one that Turtles fans are likely to get a massive kick out of. [***]

The slick first third may seem like a different franchise to the turtles’ 2014 outing, but Out Of The Shadows soon unravels as the Retro-Mutagen cements its status as yet another uninspired MacGuffin in yet another bland final act containing yet more people looking up at the sky. Krang is gleefully grim (“it’s like a chewed up piece of gum with a face!”), but, considering he and his exosuit barely feature, doesn’t deserve the final boss level-esque climax he is awarded. Considerably better than its predecessor, the central four may give it their all but the people behind this franchise sadly don’t seem all that interested in their crime-fighting, pizza-eating heroes. [**]

Stephen Amell is likeable enough as Casey Jones, but the character goes from cop to Turtle-trusting vigilante faster than it takes Oliver Queen to draw an arrow from his quiver. The potential romance between Jones and Megan Fox’s April O’Neil is also as laughable as it is unnecessary. Then there’s the villains themselves; this is easily the dumbest, unthreatening version of Shredder we’ve seen on screen – he doesn’t even get a single fight scene – and while Krang impresses on a visual level, the same can’t be said for his ultimate endgame which shares its DNA with all too many other blockbusters. There’s definitely fun to be had with Out of the Shadows, but the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles sequel fails to maximise the potential of the franchise. [**]

This comes out tomorrow, right?

I'm shocked by the lack of enthusiasm on these boards - particularly as TMNT # 1 is still the most expensive key issue of the last 40 years.

More than that, the Turtles were a larger part of my generation's childhood than say...Spider-Man or Superman.

I'm shocked by the lack of enthusiasm on these boards - particularly as TMNT # 1 is still the most expensive key issue of the last 40 years.

More than that, the Turtles were a larger part of my generation's childhood than say...Spider-Man or Superman.

There has always been a huge disconnect with the Turtles when it comes to the usual traffic of these message boards.

What I've noticed about Turtles much like Transformers toys or other things that came out in the 80's/90's (vintage star wars toys being the ONLY exception to this rule) is that the guys in their early 40's and older don't understand or "get" the Turtles.

Pokemon, Power Rangers other collectibles also fall into this little grey area where collectors 40 and older just didn't grow up with Turtles influencing their lives.

I think in about 10-15 years once baby boomers die off and become even less relevant, the turtles will eventually become more popular among Adult collectors.

There has always been a huge disconnect with the Turtles when it comes to the usual traffic of these message boards.

What I've noticed about Turtles much like Transformers toys or other things that came out in the 80's/90's (vintage star wars toys being the ONLY exception to this rule) is that the guys in their early 40's and older don't understand or "get" the Turtles.

Pokemon, Power Rangers other collectibles also fall into this little grey area where collectors 40 and older just didn't grow up with Turtles influencing their lives.

I think in about 10-15 years once baby boomers die off and become even less relevant, the turtles will eventually become more popular among Adult collectors.

I'm in my 40s. I "get" the Turtles. (shrug) I remember buying the original run from my lcs back in the mid 80s.

I'm in my 40s. I "get" the Turtles. (shrug) I remember buying the original run from my lcs back in the mid 80s.

same here- 42 - was ten when the turtles came out and grew up with them

BOX OFFICE MOJO Weekend Forecast: 'Ninja Turtles 2' Look to Take Down 'X-Men'

Saturday AM Update: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows topped Friday estimates with $12.5 million, which included $2 million from Thursday night previews. The film is now trending toward an opening weekend anywhere from $32-35 million.

Friday AM Update: Thursday night preshow results are in and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows lead the way with a soft $2 million compared to the $4.6 million the first Turtles feature brought in from preview screenings in August 2014. A good comparison would be 2014's Hercules, which brought in $2.1 million before opening with $29.8 million. Another would be Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials which brought in $1.7 million on Thursday night before delivering a $30.3 million opening last September.

• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (4,071 theaters) - $34.2 M
  • X-Men: Apocalypse (4,153 theaters) - $24.39 M
  • Me Before You (2,704 theaters) - $14.47 M
  • Alice Through the Looking Glass (3,763 theaters) - $12.89 M
  • The Angry Birds Movie (3,484 theaters) - $9.87 M

same here- 42 - was ten when the turtles came out and grew up with them

The turtles come out when I was 16. Kind of missed that in my time, I did saw #1 on shelf at the local LCS. I tried read it but didn't catch my fancy... So I pass up on them. Now with the new movie out, and a buddy who is a huge fan (he's same age as you) is thrilled to see it. I guess I do enjoy watching in action. Just not into collecting turtles!

Today I go join my friends to see the movie. :popcorn:

Had seen the movie yesterday with friends. I have to say it was a fun movie, not a top rating film but a good fun summer movie. Better than Alice in Looking Glass. About a nick under X-Men movie.

A friend told me that he think there will be a next TMNT movie for sure. When he is a a diehard fan ... I didn't agure and took his word. lol He said that the artist/creator was featured in this movie. When you see the turtles flew out of manhole and one grabbed pizza off the delivery guy on street. That is him - the pizza guy.

Just got out of seeing this. It was WAY better than the first one...but still had some eyerolls and groans.

I believe the best way to describe it is a live action version of the 80s cartoon. If you grew up on that cartoon, this this is pretty fun and nostalgic. As an adult though, I still had to get over a couple of really bad parts but ultimately, it was a fun summer popcorn flick.

It was definitely better than BvS!!!