• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF 15 Original Art reproduction from comic book men

26 posts in this topic

I saw this episode as well. I don't get the sense this is a forgery, but rather a fan reproduction. Definitely someone's labor of love.

If one is going to this great extent to reproduce the art in every detail for dubious purposes, they would have reproduced the printer markings and editor notes as well. This art drawn on pristine paper and showed no aging. Very obvious to me.

I saw this episode as well. I don't get the sense this is a forgery, but rather a fan reproduction. Definitely someone's labor of love.

If one is going to this great extent to reproduce the art in every detail for dubious purposes, they would have reproduced the printer markings and editor notes as well. This art drawn on pristine paper and showed no aging. Very obvious to me.

I agree and it was a sweet job done.

Lettering is extremely hard. Very good job. Unfortunately, no one buys recreations. I've watched such on ebay for years. No matter how well done, it's just not desired.

I never understood where that rumor started from. It actually wouldn't make sense timeline wise. The artwork was donated in the beginning of April 2008 (I believe April 3rd 2008 to be exact but don't hold me to it). Marie suffered a debilitating stroke in October of 2007. If "she" donated the work, it would have been her family that did so not her, since she was recovering from the effects of the stroke at that time, she wasn't in the shape to negotiate the donation of that kind of artwork.

I went to see the art at the LOC during the first few months they had it. I asked the curator Sarah Duke if it was Marie Severin as I also though it was here because of her ties to Ditko (she was one of the few "old-timers" that still has regular contact with him) and the fact there are only a few comic pages in the Library and a few of them were drawn by Marie.

...I figured Marie donated her art together with the Ditko pages... But the lady told me she couldn't deny or confirm if it was Marie and to the best of her knowledge Marie had never donated any art to the museum...

But my fellow collectors with me thought she was blowing smoke up our arses. :insane:

She had also heard the story of Gil Kane and the stacks of disappearing art from the Marvel offices every time he visited to drop off his work :whistle:

I know that I've always heard Gil liked walking in with a big ole carry case every time he was in the offices, even when he was just dropping off a page or two :whistle:

I never understood where that rumor started from. It actually wouldn't make sense timeline wise. The artwork was donated in the beginning of April 2008 (I believe April 3rd 2008 to be exact but don't hold me to it). Marie suffered a debilitating stroke in October of 2007. If "she" donated the work, it would have been her family that did so not her, since she was recovering from the effects of the stroke at that time, she wasn't in the shape to negotiate the donation of that kind of artwork.

I went to see the art at the LOC during the first few months they had it. I asked the curator Sarah Duke if it was Marie Severin as I also though it was here because of her ties to Ditko (she was one of the few "old-timers" that still has regular contact with him) and the fact there are only a few comic pages in the Library and a few of them were drawn by Marie.

...I figured Marie donated her art together with the Ditko pages... But the lady told me she couldn't deny or confirm if it was Marie and to the best of her knowledge Marie had never donated any art to the museum...

But my fellow collectors with me thought she was blowing smoke up our arses. :insane:

She had also heard the story of Gil Kane and the stacks of disappearing art from the Marvel offices every time he visited to drop off his work :whistle:

When that donation news hit, a few threads popped up discussing this big event.

AMAZING FANTASY 15 Original Art Surfaces!

AF 15 OA DONATION- WAS IT STEVE DITKO

ORIGINAL COMIC ART TO AMAZING FANTASY # 15 DONATED TO LIBRARY OF CONGRESS

Who was the donated the the Library of Congress the Amazing Fantasy #15 art?

Marie Severin was the easy candidate to consider in this case.