• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

holy smokes! asm #262 in 9.9...gone!

44 posts in this topic

Diceguy is an affiliate of comgeek who also consistently produces these 80's 9.8's and 9.9's.

Most of this stuff is storages of un-circulated 80's stock that probably hasn't been touched in 15-20 years. This stuff was virtually worthless until CGC came around. Deep pockets or not, I don't think some collectors realize the sheer volume that is available for these books, even in these lofty grades. But if he has the money, and it makes him happy, who cares.

No. Transformers and GI Joe are generally tougher to find in NM+ up than other 80's books. The reason being they were never taken seriously, and were often targeted and trashed by 80's kids(like me). And whatever wasn't trashed by the youngins was ruined by being tossed in and out of quarter bins for the last 15-20 years. As a result of all this, I'd wager there aren't many over-stock storages of these books, at least not when compared to other 80's titles.

I might agree with you on Transformers, but GI Joe was a valuable and much-hoarded title for most of the 80's and there are still a ton of HG copies out there.

I think one of the problems with this perceived supply is that for $19 + S&H for CGC Modern, it's not a good bet to send in too many 80's books, especially when only a 9.6 (or maybe even a 9.8) will pay the bills. Another is that GI Joe was never "virtually worthless" so they wouldn't be in this unread backstock, they'd be sold already.

The Joes were not hoarded until about the 40th issue because thats around the time it became a "hot" title. The issues before that qualify to what AK was talking about in his above post. They were not hoarded and they were not taken care of or taken very seriously.

Here's the basic idea behind what I stated:

1 - There are absolute tons of 80's comics, unsold, warehouse, etc. copies.

2 - The seller in question has tons of warehouse copies of comics that "were virtually worthless" until CGC came along.

3 - All the GI Joes would have been sold off to collectors in the early to mid-80's or cherry picked long before, hence they would not be found in the "virtually worthless" unsold stacks.

I can remember during the GI Joe meltdown in the late-80's, dealers with stacks of complete runs, multiple issue hoardes, etc. and finding no buyers until prices dropped to nil, and the last-ditch speculators came in.

I myself have more than a few GI Joe's, but why would I pay CGC $19 + S&H a shot in hopes of getting back a 9.8? There are far better gambles out there for graded comics, and I firmly believe that the GI Joe fanatics make up the majority of the subs.

For the average collector uninterested in getting the Joe run in CGC, there's not much economic reason to mass submit.

Joes weren't hoarded until the 40th issue?!??!?! Actually, the hoarding began around issue 4 and 5 when it became apparent this was a run-a-way train franchise. And as for not having been hoarded and taken care of very seriously, i know MANY collectors personally who have very high grades of the ENTIRE run. Heh heh, and i've just made a deal for 2 full runs of Joes in Sweeeeeet High grade!

I cant keep any extra 9.6s of my collection "in stock" for long. I think its starting to happen. I still dont think there will be an awful lot of 1-30 and 150-155 in 9.8s. Just my opinion from my years of collecting.

Like I said, I'm not saying they are tough to find, but generally tougher than other books of the same period. I don't believe ANY mainstream 80's books are tough to find, or late 60's and 70's for that matter. My bottom line was not that there won't be a lot of 9.8's, but that the number would be less than ASM, DD, X Men, Avengers, FF or any other titles out during that period.

Oh, and I was referring to earlier stuff.