• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A call to arms; a very small fundraiser

53 posts in this topic

Here's the back story, folks. Thanks for taking the time to read it. (thumbs u

Every year, Mick Rabin (Comick1 on the boards), holds a DC War Comics Summit (Banquet) in San Diego. It's held on one of the nights when the San Diego Comic Con is on. This has been going on for at least 17 years in a row. I'm actually blown away that this has been going on for 17 years! Wow! Way to go, Mick! :applause:

In previous years, he has had such wonderful guests as Russ Heath, Joe Kubert, Jerry Grandenetti, John Severin, Thomas Yeates, Rick Estrada, plus so many more. He has always found a way to pay for these creators to fly out there and also cover their hotel expenses. Whether by raising funds through the auctions that he held at the banquet or from straight out donations, he managed to keep the thing running. There has always been an expense account that carried over to the following year, that Mick would use to bring the artists or writers to San Diego. This year, he's a bit short of dough. :(

This year, he's hoping to bring out Sam Glanzman. Sam is now a 90 year old man who never much enjoyed getting on an airplane, but has agreed to attend the banquet. Now the hard part; scraping up the money to allow this to happen.

Here's a couple of quotes from our recent conversations in the War Comics thread, from the Silver Age section of the boards. This will let you know of the extent of our progress so far.

Ain't that the truth! I feel lucky to live in the city where Comic-Con happens. Helped shape my life, but gave me the opportunity and luxury of helping coordinate the banquet each year.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed here, but I feel very positively that we will FINALLY be able to pull Sam Glanzman out again this year. His wife, Sue, is dragging his old badåss WWII swabbie self out on an airplane despite his protests and, at the age of 90, it's time for him to get some notoriety for one of the best series to EVER see print, the USS Stevens.

I'm thinking about doing a bit of fundraising on behalf of Sam & Sue. We have around $1800 in the account right now, but I project that their stay will run close to $2800 including plane flights and hotel expenses (they want to spend a few extra days in San Diego so that they're not so rushed). Any of you guys have some ideas about how to "crowdsource" or do one of those "board fundraisers" on Sam's behalf? I have a couple items that I'd be willing to sell, but I just don't have the time to coordinate a full-on fundraiser in addition to doing the banquet. Too busy with school right now.

Ideas?

I was just going to see who you were intending to invite to the War Banquet, and saw this post. Perfect! All of you who will be able to meet this legend are so lucky!. :cloud9:

I will see if I can create a thread for donations, aka a fundraiser, but I will be happy to contribute $400 cash to get this rolling. I know that I won't be able to make it, but I also understand that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for all of you guys who will be there and able to attend.

Sam Glanzman is truly one of the greats, and ranks very, very high on the list of under-rated and under-appreciated artists and creators. His work on U.S.S. Stevens is monumental. (worship)

This will be a call to arms for the all of us to step up. Hopefully, we can raise the dough needed to get Sam and his wife, Sue, over to San Diego this year. Please help out, if you can. :foryou:

Andy

So, without sounding too repetitive repetitive, let's try to scrounge up some money to make this happen. I think with my $400 donation, we'll be about $600 short of the estimate. If we happen to exceed that amount, I'm 100% sure the extra money will go into this expense account and will be used to bring another creator the following year.

I know that fundraisers are typically there to help out people who are truly in need, and I appreciate that, believe me. However, I also know that this is important in its own way and to a good number of people. This is truly a fan-based event, that couldn't happen without a few people stepping up. Let's see if we can lighten their load just a little bit.

By the way, the War Comics Summit is open to whomever would like to attend. You just need to get your butt over to San Diego for the con. (thumbs u

Thanks for taking the time to read this, guys and gals. :foryou:

Andy

I should have said, if you'd like to donate something for sale, just go ahead and do so in this thread.

Please understand that if you don't state any shipping restrictions, it will be assumed that you will cover shipping world-wide.

If you'd like to make a cash donation, please PM me and I'll get you the PayPal info.

Thanks all!

I've been pleased to know Mick here since joining the Boards, bought a few of his books too, and shared an appreciation for Glanzman's work. Here's a modest contribution, I hope it helps. Shipping on me anywhere. Please contact Andy for all payment instructions.

Its a worthy cause, I only wish I could go.

Our Army at War 211 9.0 (beautiful copy; a few spine ticks and a sm staple tear top otherwise 9.2) $30.00 Donated! Thanks Randall :)

OAAW-211-fc_zps84337a46.jpg

OAAW-211-bc_zps849950ed.jpg

Get your Wally Wood fix! SOLD to PWOG

Thunder Agents Archives 1-4, $80 donation shipped in Canada/USA

All dust jackets in brodart(mlyar) protective sleeves. Andy will invoice you if you buy these.

Thunder Agents Archives Vol 1 - reprints Thunder Agents 1-4, First Edition / First Printing 2002, Very Fine. Dust Jacket in mylar.

ta1.jpg

Thunder Agents Archives Vol 2 - reprints Thunder Agents 5-7 & Dynamo No. 1, First Edition / First Printing 2003, Very Fine. Dust Jacket in mylar.

ta2.jpg

Thunder Agents Archives Vol 3 - reprints Thunder Agents 8-10 & Dynamo No. 2, First Edition / First Printing 2003, Very Fine. Dust Jacket in mylar

ta3.jpg

Thunder Agents Archives Vol 4 - reprints Thunder Agents 11, NoMan Nos 1-2 and Dynamo No. 3, First Edition / First Printing 2004, Very Fine. Dust Jacket in mylar.

ta4.jpg

Shipping on me to U.S. or Canuckleheadland. Please contact Andy for all payment instructions.

th_OFF139.jpg th_OFF139bc.jpg

Our Fighting Forces 139 copy a VFNM, $20, White pages and covers, wear at lower edge. :news:SOLDEDED!!! :news:

USS Stevens stories

Glanzman's U.S.S. Stevens stories for DC Comics appear in:

• Our Army at War #220, 223, 225, 227, 230–232, 235 238, 240–242, 244–245, 247–248, 256–259, 261–262, 265–267, 275, 281–282, 284, 293, 298 (1970–1976)

• Our Fighting Forces 128, 132, 134, 136, 138-139, 140-141, 143 (1970–1972)

• Weird War Tales #4 (1972)

• G.I. Combat #152 (1972)

• Star Spangled War Stories #167, 171, 174 (1973)

• Sgt. Rock #308 (1977)

• Joe Kubert Presents #1–6 (2012–2013)

Good guys/ gals only. No HOS or Probies

Payment by Paypal.

Shipping in the US is USPS Priority + Insurance.

Int'l please pm me, as I''ll need to figure out a price.

PM's are welcome, but the 1st :takeit: for the cause wins and trumps any pm's.

Asking $2000.00. I will donate 50% of the sales price. I hope this helps.

Signed FIRST Edition of Joseph Heller’s “Catch 22”. Published in New York by Simon and Shuster in 1961. First Printing is stated on copyright page. This copy is SIGNED by the author on a tipped in page. The book is Fine with slight fading along the top and bottom edges and on the front and back paste downs and free end pages. DJ is near Fine except for slight wear and rubbing on corners, slight wearing and creasing on top and bottom spine ends, fading and discoloration on covers, spine and inside flaps. The top and bottom of the spine has been repaired. DJ price reads $5.95. Book comes in specially made slip cover.

IMG_8614_zpsc702a9eb.jpg

IMG_8615_zps921218f8.jpg

IMG_8620_zps0huimvjd.jpg

IMG_8621_zps5pj5kwun.jpg

IMG_8626_zpskkwcg39c.jpg

IMG_8631_zpsvbevdfjm.jpg

IMG_8630_zpsetthcnhr.jpg

IMG_8629_zps83or900y.jpg

IMG_8635_zpsqc26sn65.jpg

IMG_8628_zpshy3jxlq5.jpg

USS Stevens stories

• Our Army at War #220, 223, 225, 227, 230–232, 235 238, 240–242, 244–245, 247–248, 256–259, 261–262, 265–267, 275, 281–282, 284, 293, 298 (1970–1976)

• Sgt. Rock #308 (1977)

Thank you for the donations, guys. Much appreciated.

Mike, thanks for this list of USS Stevens stories. (worship)

I've been pleased to know Mick here since joining the Boards, bought a few of his books too, and shared an appreciation for Glanzman's work. Here's a modest contribution, I hope it helps. Shipping on me anywhere. Please contact Andy for all payment instructions.

Our Army at War 211 9.0 (beautiful copy; a few spine ticks and a sm staple tear top otherwise 9.2) $30.00 Donation

OAAW-211-fc_zps84337a46.jpg

OAAW-211-bc_zps849950ed.jpg

:takeit: for a great cause

Again, good guys/ gals only. No HOS or Probies

Payment by Paypal.

100% will be contributed as a donation.

Our Army At War 80 VG $50.00

Scan47_zpsc0d6862f.jpeg

Scan48_zpse6ecc407.jpeg

100% will be donated.

Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos VG $100.00

Scan53_zps4ac02c21.jpg

Scan52_zps9e016b6d.jpg

USS Stevens stories

• Sgt. Rock #308 (1977)

Thank you for the donations, guys. Much appreciated.

Mike, thanks for this list of USS Stevens stories. (worship)

Yeah - I wanted to put something up that he actually did - I'll see if I can find more.

Get your Wally Wood fix!

All dust jackets in brodart(mlyar) protective sleeves. Andy will invoice you if you buy these.

Thunder Agents Archives Vol 1 - reprints Thunder Agents 1-4, First Edition / First Printing 2002, Very Fine. Dust Jacket in mylar.

ta1.jpg

Thunder Agents Archives Vol 2 - reprints Thunder Agents 5-7 & Dynamo No. 1, First Edition / First Printing 2003, Very Fine. Dust Jacket in mylar.

ta2.jpg

Thunder Agents Archives Vol 3 - reprints Thunder Agents 8-10 & Dynamo No. 2, First Edition / First Printing 2003, Very Fine. Dust Jacket in mylar

ta3.jpg

Thunder Agents Archives Vol 4 - reprints Thunder Agents 11, NoMan Nos 1-2 and Dynamo No. 3, First Edition / First Printing 2004, Very Fine. Dust Jacket in mylar.

ta4.jpg [/quote

:takeit:

Our Army at War 211 9.0 (beautiful copy; a few spine ticks and a sm staple tear top otherwise 9.2) $30.00 Donation

:takeit: for a great cause

(thumbs u Many thanks, Randall

Get your Wally Wood fix!

[/quote

:takeit:

:applause: Thanks!

Payment by Paypal.

Signed FIRST Edition of Joseph Heller’s “Catch 22”. Published in New York by Simon and Shuster in 1961. First Printing is stated on copyright page. This copy is SIGNED by the author on a tipped in page. The book is Fine with slight fading along the top and bottom edges and on the front and back paste downs and free end pages. DJ is near Fine except for slight wear and rubbing on corners, slight wearing and creasing on top and bottom spine ends, fading and discoloration on covers, spine and inside flaps. The top and bottom of the spine has been repaired. DJ price reads $5.95. Book comes in specially made slip cover.

IMG_8614_zpsc702a9eb.jpg

Very cool! (worship)

...and guys, if your item sells, please edit your post to reflect that. (thumbs u

I will PM the buyer and seller payment/shipping instructions after every :takeit: is posted.

What an amazing book. Would buy that in a second if I could. I've written quite a few papers on Catch-22 over the years.

Payment by Paypal.

IMG_8614_zpsc702a9eb.jpg

IMG_8615_zps921218f8.jpg

IMG_8620_zps0huimvjd.jpg

IMG_8621_zps5pj5kwun.jpg

IMG_8626_zpskkwcg39c.jpg

IMG_8631_zpsvbevdfjm.jpg

IMG_8630_zpsetthcnhr.jpg

IMG_8629_zps83or900y.jpg

IMG_8635_zpsqc26sn65.jpg

IMG_8628_zpshy3jxlq5.jpg