• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A call to arms; a very small fundraiser

53 posts in this topic

Thanks Tom, and thanks again, everyone, for your help and support. :applause:

Every little bit has helped and is greatly needed and appreciated.

I'm going to close this thread down, even though we've fallen short of our goal. I really don't want to take anything away from the STORMSURGE fundraiser.

If anyone would like to send a cash donation privately, please PM me and I will get you the PayPal address.

Alternatively, if you had something that you were intending on donating and giving the money to this cause, I encourage you to do so by having your own sales thread and then contacting me afterwards.

Thanks so much for understanding, folks, and for stepping up when asked. (thumbs u

Andy

Hopefully posting a Modern in here is okay.

Edward Scissorhands 1 CGC 9.8. $35 donation and I'll cover shipping in the US.

004_zps0stfgrho.jpg

:takeit: for Charity

I will send you guys a PM in a little bit. (thumbs u

Thanks!

004_zps0stfgrho.jpg

Thanks!

No rush I bought it for Charity and am actually going to donate it right back to Stormsurge's thread for sale there if Ryan would be willing to ship it to the winner there instead of me....

004_zps0stfgrho.jpg

Thanks!

No rush I bought it for Charity and am actually going to donate it right back to Stormsurge's thread for sale there if Ryan would be willing to ship it to the winner there instead of me....

Of course.

004_zps0stfgrho.jpg

Thanks!

What a good guy!

004_zps0stfgrho.jpg

Thanks!

What a good guy!

You guys are ALL a class act! (thumbs u

Here are some more books that contain Sam Glanzman U.S.S. Stevens stories. Same drill here - Andy will invoice you, and I will ship to U.S./Canuckleheadland.

I had always hoped to make San Diego some time, but I don't think that will ever happen. It's great that someone is working to get these legends to the event to connect with long-time fans!

th_oaaw248.jpg th_oaaw248bc.jpg

Our Army at War 248 9.2 white pages, $25. Date stamp on BC.

th_oaaw267.jpg th_oaaw267bc.jpg th_oaaw267b.jpg th_oaaw267bbc.jpg

Our Army at War 267 copy a 9.0 white pages, $15. Top staple attached, despite appearances – downgraded from 9.2 because of this.

Our Army at War 267 copy b 8.5/9.0 white pages $12. Nice clean, white covers.

th_OFF139b.jpg th_OFF139bbc.jpg

Our Fighting Forces 139 copy b VFNM OWW $22.

I want to give a special shout-out to everybody who either donated or purchased something on this thread. We were able to raise a significant amount of $$ for underwriting the Glanzman's attendance of Comic-Con and the Big-5 banquet.

Unfortunately, Sam and Sue both are experiencing considerable health obstacles that will make travel impossible for this year. Sam is 90 now and I was hoping that we could get him out before it was totally prohibitive, but Sue's own health issues are making it impossible for her to help Sam navigate the complications of travel and moving much outside of their comfort zone. A shout-out to the good people at Comic-Con who helped get us as far as making hotel accommodations, panel attendance, and artist alley space for Sam. Until I spoke with Sue herself, I was still hopeful that it would happen. Sam apparently was set to attend an event that would showcase some of his incredible work and help promote his new book, but he had to skip THAT as well even though it was in his own state of New York.

At any rate, the Big-5 war banquet is now in possession of some donations that are just south of $1100 as a direct result of Andy and the generous folks in this thread; and I wanted to publicly disclose what we plan to do with the $$.

Our mission has always been to honor the creators of the Big-5 war books, but in the past 10 years or so, we've taken some of the proceeds from our auctions and sent that $$ directly to surviving artists to provide a modest gift as thanks for their wonderful work. For the sake of discretion, I don't want to reveal the names of those artists publicly, but if anybody is interested in who they are, I don't mind answering via PM. I can assure you that these monetary gifts are going to artists who truly benefit from a bit of financial relief. That is the plan with this year's proceeds as well. We have traditionally split the post-auction account total as follows:

1/4 to artist A

1/4 to artist B.

1/2 to remain in the account for the following year so that we have something to work with in our efforts to continue to underwrite future travel expenses.

If ANY person who donated an item would like to recoup their $$, I will be happy to send him/her BACK the donated $$. You may PM me privately if that is your wish and the transaction will remain confidential. If you sent $$ to Andy Greenham, then please PM both of us for accountability. Conversely, if you are OK with the $$ being used in the manner described above, then you need not respond.

Once again, thank you to all of you--especially Andy--for your kindness and generosity. Your contributions helped our organization continue with its long tradition of recognizing and supporting the Big-5 war comics artists.

Best,

Mick Rabin

Thanks for the update, Mick.

Such a shame that Sam cannot make it this year. :(

I really appreciate the honest effort you put into this, and the transparency is commendable.

Keep up the good work. (thumbs u