• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How are these 9.6's?

32 posts in this topic

What Me Worry? It's not like these books are actually going to sell . . . 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

Would this even make a fair poll question? Does anyone think these books will sell? Would anyone here buy them at any price?

Ijiwaru Sensei sumo.gif

WTB Invaders 3 CGC 9.6 or better.

I assume both books pictured above were cut-off at 9.6? confused-smiley-013.gif

I say " assume "...as I still have no idea how to find that information. mad.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

893whatthe.gif

Seriously folks, the Invaders is miswrapped and it probably got that way from poor storage, which caused the spine/staples to work their way to the front over time...if you were to look at it from back cover, you'd probably see the pages fanned.

The What If? is miscut (artwork cut off).

Both these books can technically be 9.6's if there is no other accumulation of flaws or defects to downgrade them. Like mentioned above, certain production flaws are allowed in each grade, with the severity of the flaw being responsible for which grades the book is "cut off" from!

Still...kinda an ugly 9.6 insane.gif

Seriously folks, the Invaders is miswrapped and it probably got that way from poor storage, which caused the spine/staples to work their way to the front over time...if you were to look at it from back cover, you'd probably see the pages fanned.

No, that's called spine roll and it would not get a 9.6. That book is a miswrap. The edges of the book will all line up but the cover was wrapped too far to the front.

No, that's called spine roll and it would not get a 9.6. That book is a miswrap. The edges of the book will all line up but the cover was wrapped too far to the front.

foreheadslap.gif

Dummy me. You're probably right....It serves me right for working and playing on the forum at the same time! 893scratchchin-thumb.gifSo is there a cut off grade for spine rolls? I've seen some 9.2's and 9.4's with spine roll....so you're saying spine roll is not allowed in 9.6? Don't have my OGG handy.

donut -

this is america. we're allowed to question "authority".

Please. If you don't think the book is a 9.6, don't buy it. Whether or not you think it is a 9.6 is irrelevant. CGC did, and it is their holder.That's why the book is a 9.6.

I love threads like this, that go on and on and on and on and on and on and on ad nauseum, all sound and fury signifying nothing. You're not questioning "authority". You're questioning CGC's grading.

donut -

Please. If you don't think the book is a 9.6, don't buy it. Whether or not you think it is a 9.6 is irrelevant. CGC did, and it is their holder.That's why the book is a 9.6.

I love threads like this, that go on and on and on and on and on and on and on ad nauseum, all sound and fury signifying nothing. You're not questioning "authority". You're questioning CGC's grading.

What's wrong with that? poke2.gif

donut -

Because people aren't doing anything about it, they're just person_without_enough_empathying. Whine, whine, whine, whine, whine. Clearly, after 500,000 books, it is apparent that CGC doesn't downgrade for miscuts. I can show you a nasty Detective 80 with a horrid miscut that got an 8.0, for example.

Instead of whining and person_without_enough_empathying, perhaps the marketplace ought to vote with their pocketbooks and not buy the books with the miscuts - while this might not change the grading standards, it will cause submitters to think twice about submitting a book with said miscut.

donut -

Because people aren't doing anything about it, they're just person_without_enough_empathying. Whine, whine, whine, whine, whine. Clearly, after 500,000 books, it is apparent that CGC doesn't downgrade for miscuts. I can show you a nasty Detective 80 with a horrid miscut that got an 8.0, for example.

Instead of whining and person_without_enough_empathying, perhaps the marketplace ought to vote with their pocketbooks and not buy the books with the miscuts - while this might not change the grading standards, it will cause submitters to think twice about submitting a book with said miscut.

CGC has pretty much set the grading standard , and I see no reason why some of their decisions shouldn't be questioned.

I think the 9.6 cut-off without notation is a terrible idea, and by discussing it here.....I may get others to post their opinions. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think the whining and person_without_enough_empathying will eventually make a difference. Borock told CBG a few years ago he didn't think comic collectors cared as much about centering as card collectors do. He's probably right since comics are so much larger and more complex an object, but it matters to more people at the ubergrades that they seem to realize.