• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Indie B&W boom titles would make for a hit movie/TV show?

69 posts in this topic

In light of recent developments with Valiant's character licensing for film I was wondering how come non of the B&W indie comic characters of the 80s ever got any licensing..

Surely we know the potential is there with TMNT and Crow being proof of that. But what about such characters as Grendel, Mage, Usagi, or even Mister X?

Were/are there any deals that fell through?

Any thoughts?

In light of recent developments with Valiant's character licensing for film I was wondering how come non of the B&W indie comic characters of the 80s ever got any licensing..

Surely we know the potential is there with TMNT and Crow being proof of that. But what about such characters as Grendel, Mage, Usagi, or even Mister X?

Any thoughts?

What the moviemaker wants out of the licensing deal is not the story so much as the built in audience. There's many great 80s indies and I hope they all get great projects but one reason that they are less attractive to the movie houses than the marvel/cd deals is the smaller built in audience.

Sure, valiant doesn't have too much built in audience either, but at least there you have a bunch of characters under a single umbrella. You can get a small stable of characters without the mess of dealing with 15 different creators who have 15 different agendas.

Any thoughts?

What the moviemaker wants out of the licensing deal is not the story so much as the built in audience. There's many great 80s indies and I hope they all get great projects but one reason that they are less attractive to the movie houses than the marvel/cd deals is the smaller built in audience.

Sure, valiant doesn't have too much built in audience either, but at least there you have a bunch of characters under a single umbrella. You can get a small stable of characters without the mess of dealing with 15 different creators who have 15 different agendas.

While I agree that this is a strong probability, opposite thinking has its lucrative rewards as well.. No large following with current marker trends and a good story could make for a very wise investment; low budget and huge profit..

Did WD have a huge following? Im sure it all makes sense in the long run, but sometimes thinking out the box could make up for huge profit margins.. Kinda like The Blair Witch Project..

Even Marvel is adapting to these strategies with GOTG and probably Inhumans?

Any thoughts?

While I agree that this is a strong probability, opposite thinking has its lucrative rewards as well.. No large following with current marker trends and a good story could make for a very wise investment; low budget and huge profit..

Did WD have a huge following? Im sure it all makes sense in the long run, but sometimes thinking out the box could make up for huge profit margins.. Kinda like The Blair Witch Project..

no, don't be silly (: Marvel is its own brand with its own following. They could put out Devil Dinosaur and it would be a hit right now because you need to get the audiences' attention at the moment is that single word: Marvel. That doesn't hold true for jon sable et al.

As for your other point about opposite thinking, ehh, sure they will scoop up these properties for cheap if they can, but the built in audience will be at least as important as the story. Something that's been constantly refreshed like tmnt and to a lesser extent valiant is simply going to be more attractive than a short lived series that has sat as a dormant IP since 1987. And with a lot of these 80s indies, that's what you are talking about. Great stories but dead as a doornail in terms of licensing and merchandising and new stories these past 25 years.

But maybe I'm answering a question you didn't ask. I'm analyzing which property would be worth more, not necessarily which would make a good series and there is no shortage of those (thumbs u

Any thoughts?

no, don't be silly (: Marvel is its own brand with its own following. They could put out Devil Dinosaur and it would be a hit right now because you need to get the audiences' attention at the moment is that single word: Marvel. That doesn't hold true for jon sable et al.

As for your other point about opposite thinking, ehh, sure they will scoop up these properties for cheap if they can, but the built in audience will be at least as important as the story. Something that's been constantly refreshed like tmnt and to a lesser extent valiant is simply going to be more attractive than a short lived series that has sat as a dormant IP since 1987. And with a lot of these 80s indies, that's what you are talking about. Great stories but dead as a doornail in terms of licensing and merchandising and new stories these past 25 years.

But maybe I'm answering a question you didn't ask. I'm analyzing which property would be worth more, not necessarily which would make a good series and there is no shortage of those (thumbs u

Yeah I get it, but sometimes a breakthrough movie/TV show is all it takes in trend setting. You never know (thumbs u

I mean.. People forget that the first comic based movie Disney licensed, waaaay before they bought Marvel, was Rocketeer.. Granted the movie didnt perform well, but it shows that there was interest in unique concepts albeit the lack of following