• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider Man Ruined !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

57 posts in this topic

The problem with Spider-Man is that all the current writers, Slott in primis, are writing about someone else. The Spider-Man that Stan Lee created was a urban super-hero, his friends played an important role and the stories were about normal crime (carried out by subnormal enemies).

Nowadays it's all about endless limits. Spider-Man fights enemies from other dimensions and universes, he builds mini-robots that scan the entire city, he owns Parker Industries and he is full of money, etc.

Who is this guy?!? He is not our Petey. If Slott and other want to write about someone fighting other dimensions, etc. they should create a new character and go for it. But they should respect the history of Spidey.

I miss Kingpin, Hammer Head and all the other "normal" super villains.

+1

Marvel gave that persona and world to Daredevil and it made him more popular than he was for the first 2 decades of his existence.

Spider-man they've turned into a safe franchise. It'll never be the same. He's the biggest selling superhero of merchandise by far, and Marvel isn't going to mess it up by having it too gritty.

It sucks.

Wow, I hadn't realized that Parker/Spidey had moved that far from their roots. It does sound like a totally different character. That's pretty sad.

Yeah... when he went through that whole Alien Costume deal, it seems Spidey became more sci-fi oriented. His days of fighting gangsters and street thugs in alleys are like a distant memory. In that last movie reboot, OSCORP was this huge corporation who's science experiment's created ALL of Spider-man's villains. lol

The problem with Spider-Man is that all the current writers, Slott in primis, are writing about someone else. The Spider-Man that Stan Lee created was a urban super-hero, his friends played an important role and the stories were about normal crime (carried out by subnormal enemies).

Nowadays it's all about endless limits. Spider-Man fights enemies from other dimensions and universes, he builds mini-robots that scan the entire city, he owns Parker Industries and he is full of money, etc.

Who is this guy?!? He is not our Petey. If Slott and other want to write about someone fighting other dimensions, etc. they should create a new character and go for it. But they should respect the history of Spidey.

+1

Marvel gave that persona and world to Daredevil and it made him more popular than he was for the first 2 decades of his existence.

Spider-man they've turned into a safe franchise. It'll never be the same. He's the biggest selling superhero of merchandise by far, and Marvel isn't going to mess it up by having it too gritty.

It sucks.

Wow, I hadn't realized that Parker/Spidey had moved that far from their roots. It does sound like a totally different character. That's pretty sad.

Agreed, but Spider-Man is not the only one who has moved far from his roots.

Just about all Marvel/DC characters are unrecognizable from their late 80s/90s counterparts. Not costume wise, but character wise

+1

It sucks.

Just about all Marvel/DC characters are unrecognizable from their late 80s/90s counterparts. Not costume wise, but character wise

How so?

The Fantastic Four - Sci-fi based adventure team. Still that.

Thor - God of Thunder. Still that.

Iron Man - Millionaire, playboy. Still that.

Avengers - revolving door of Marvel Characters. Still that.

X-Men - Convoluted mess. Still that.

+1

It sucks.

No,it`s smart business move if your Marvel/Disney.

Spider-Man shouldn`t be gritty. This isn`t Batman.

He`s for young people like Pokémon,TMNT and Power Rangers.

Move on to Daredevil and Batman if you want dark n gritty.

That`s seems to be the problem. A lot of the older Spider-Man fans can`t let go.

Spider-Man is for younger fans.

When we were young we watched those Spider-Man reruns cartoons that got us hooked.

That`s who Spider-Man should be aimed at, not The Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead crowd.

So Marvel discovered this and makes a billion a year at selling to that niche.

+1

It sucks.

How so?

I`m comparing the comic book versions, and not the movie versions.

All your examples I will agree with if you had the current movie versions in mind.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs here, but with arguably the best rogues gallery in comics Spidey has been spending plenty of time fighting abnormal enemies. They frequently showed him stopping muggings and stuff like that, but those generally served as lead-ins or some other purpose to either fill pages or move the story in some other direction. Nobody would be buying those comics if they were all about fighting normal crime.

Other than that quibble I can't disagree with you. The writers had gotten the characters off the rails by the end of the original numbering, and the more I hear about the current run the more I can't believe anyone still buys this .

+1

It sucks.

How so?

All your examples I will agree with if you had the current movie versions in mind.

We were talking about the comics.

+1

It sucks.

No,it`s smart business move if your Marvel/Disney.

Spider-Man shouldn`t be gritty. This isn`t Batman.

He`s for young people like Pokémon,TMNT and Power Rangers.

Move on to Daredevil and Batman if you want dark n gritty.

That`s seems to be the problem. A lot of the older Spider-Man fans can`t let go.

Spider-Man is for younger fans.

When we were young we watched those Spider-Man reruns cartoons that got us hooked.

That`s who Spider-Man should be aimed at, not The Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead crowd.

So Marvel discovered this and makes a billion a year at selling to that niche.

The Raimi movies captured much of the essence of what makes Spider-man great... the battle between the responsibility and the insanity of obtaining great power... it had it's darkness... NOT all kid's stuff... but it certainly didn't hurt the bottom line in ANY way as the first two movies absolutely ROCKED at the box office, without the benefit of a much bigger foreign market, much higher IMAX prices - the first two movies DIDN'T have those benefits and STILL kicked the butt's of the more 'marketing genius' Spider-man movies that followed aimed at a safer audience.

I say you're wrong.

The essence of what made the character great will overall sell more tickets and merchandise than this crud they're doing now. The numbers have already proven it, and IF Marvel follows through and makes a Spidey movie more true to it's roots - it'll blow everything done yet out of the ballpark.

+1

It sucks.

How so?

Yeah, I agree if we're talking about the movie versions, but I think what's happened to the Avengers in the comics is a big, unwelcome departure. Spider-Man, Wolverine and the Thing as Avengers? Multiple teams, including the "Secret Avengers"? No thanks to any of that.

I've been saying here for more than a decade that I thought Spidey started to go off the rails with the McFarlane run. At its core, ASM was always a human drama about hard luck Peter Parker coping with the bills, JJJ, the ladies and his frail Aunt, all in the context of being burdened with great power and great responsibility. Once you had Petey going on book tours, married to a supermodel and fighting brain-eating alien symbiotes, it really started to go off the rails.

The last ASM stories I read were by Slott in the #500s (Brand New Day), where they tried to get Peter back to his roots (single guy working for the Bugle, etc.) and I thought they were decent. I'm surprised to hear that they took things in such a radically different direction since then.

+1

It sucks.

How so?

Yeah, I agree if we're talking about the movie versions, but I think what's happened to the Avengers in the comics is a big, unwelcome departure. Spider-Man, Wolverine and the Thing as Avengers? Multiple teams, including the "Secret Avengers"? No thanks to any of that.

I've been saying here for more than a decade that I thought Spidey started to go off the rails with the McFarlane run. At its core, ASM was always a human drama about hard luck Peter Parker coping with the bills, JJJ, the ladies and his frail Aunt, all in the context of being burdened with great power and great responsibility. Once you had Petey going on book tours, married to a supermodel and fighting brain-eating alien symbiotes, it really started to go off the rails.

The last ASM stories I read were by Slott in the #500s (Brand New Day), where they tried to get Peter back to his roots (single guy working for the Bugle, etc.) and I thought they were decent. I'm surprised to hear that they took things in such a radically different direction since then.

Exactly.

When I was 13, reading ASM 121-122 was such an epic experience, that everything after felt like anti-climax, and I quickly lost interest. The last issue I remember buying was #135. I'm sure there were memorable story arcs afterwards, and I've kept up to some degree on the character, largely through the boards, but one good thing about there being over 50 years worth of Spider-man stories to read, is that the character really can't be ruined as long as you just ignore the stories you don't like, as there will always be plenty you do.

He was ruined for me back when Peter Parker was revealed as a clone. I stopped buying them at that time. Same thing with "Death" issues. I figured once they are dead they are done for me. I rarely buy new comics any more...

Capping it off with the return of Norman Osborn in a way that makes no sense. At least make Norman a clone or the one that died in 122 a clone. Goblin serum healed wounds and bidding out overseas for years. meh At least make him the Hobgoblin since the ball got dropped with that, it would have at least made more sense.