• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All of my auctions - shipping at cost to forum members!

22 posts in this topic

cool.gif

As an effort to get over the shipping "controversy" over my auctions, I am offering all forumites the following. To qulaify, you have to prove to me that you are a member of this forum after you win the auction by sending me a PM.

If you win one of my auctions, you will be charged the shipping listed in the auction. I will go to the post office, ship your book and save the receipt. I will let you know the cost and REIMBURSE the overage via paypal.

I think it's only fair to charge something for supplies though. I don't know maybe an extra dollar or two on an individual comic and an extra few extra dollars depending on the size of the lot or number of books. I will make sure it's fair.

I had hoped that people could adjust their bids in accordance with the higher shipping fees, but being compared to NeatStuff was the last straw. I will NEVER buy another comic from them. Overgraded + one month shipping time and crappy customer service. they are the WORST in my opinion. sign-rantpost.gif

Jon

frustrated.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gif

it's not a "deal", and I'm not trying to pretend it's a deal. just like I am not trying to make money on shipping and/or rip people off on shipping. the offer I advertised in this thread just takes money out of one cost bucket and puts it in another. when I use the term "cost bucket" what I am referring to are the TWO costs involved in an auction. Bucket A is the auction price and Bucket B is the shipping cost.

in theory, if someone was willing to pay $50 for a comic, and the shipping cost listed in the auction was $7(bucket A), they would enter $43(bucket B) as the maximum bid, knowing that they would be charged another $7 after the auction. The total cost to the buyer would be $50.

people have been complaining that my shipping charges are too high. therefore, I said i will do it "at cost". what does this mean? It really means nothing, but the semantics of it make people happier. now, if a comic is worth $50 to someone, if that person is a forum member they can do the math this way:

$5 (bucket A) + $45 (bucket B) = $50 (final price)

it's all semantics, but if it makes people happy it's fine with me. I thought I was being fair before, and I think I'm being fair now. I have no desire to take extra money from anyone who enjoys this hobby. I hope the people who win my auctions will get as much enjoyment out of the comics I am selling as much as I have through the years.

so let's put this shipping issue to bed, and people, BID, BID! grin.gif

I've always charged exact postage. I didn't know I was giving people a "deal". 893applaud-thumb.gif

If you didn't hate everybody, you'd have known what a swell guy you are! poke2.gif

Hate takes to much energy. It's not so much that I "hate everyone", it's more like I just don't like anyone. Except you of course, I hate you. tongue.gif

I've always charged exact postage. I didn't know I was giving people a "deal". 893applaud-thumb.gif

If you didn't hate everybody, you'd have known what a swell guy you are! poke2.gif

Hate takes to much energy. It's not so much that I "hate everyone", it's more like I just don't like anyone. Except you of course, I hate you. tongue.gif

Ya know... I'm probably not worth the effort either.

yay.gif

Ya know... I'm probably not worth the effort either.

yay.gif

flowerred.gif

cool.gif

As an effort to get over the shipping "controversy" over my auctions, I am offering all forumites the following. To qulaify, you have to prove to me that you are a member of this forum after you win the auction by sending me a PM.

If you win one of my auctions, you will be charged the shipping listed in the auction. I will go to the post office, ship your book and save the receipt. I will let you know the cost and REIMBURSE the overage via paypal.

I think it's only fair to charge something for supplies though. I don't know maybe an extra dollar or two on an individual comic and an extra few extra dollars depending on the size of the lot or number of books. I will make sure it's fair.

I had hoped that people could adjust their bids in accordance with the higher shipping fees, but being compared to NeatStuff was the last straw. I will NEVER buy another comic from them. Overgraded + one month shipping time and crappy customer service. they are the WORST in my opinion. sign-rantpost.gif

Jon

whoopee friggin' doopee yeahok.gif

I charge exact shipping or free (if you are a board member).

I don't charge for packing supplies because I re-cycle what I already have. Why charge for something I didn't pay for?

I do have an advantage on time since I go to the Post Office everyday. It's the only good thing about working the window for the Post Office!!

It really means nothing, but the semantics of it make people happier. now, if a comic is worth $50 to someone, if that person is a forum member they can do the math this way:

it's all semantics, but if it makes people happy it's fine with me.

No it is actually not, as your methodology screws up "market price data" and is basically a kludge supporting skimming on the shipping rates. Lots of people do what you are doing and try and explain it away, when your above example is totally incorrect.

And if it isn't, why don't you ship at cost? That's really only taking it from Bucket A and putting it in Bucket B and you won't make a cent less or more, right? Right?

It really means nothing, but the semantics of it make people happier. now, if a comic is worth $50 to someone, if that person is a forum member they can do the math this way:

it's all semantics, but if it makes people happy it's fine with me.

No it is actually not, as your methodology screws up "market price data" and is basically a kludge supporting skimming on the shipping rates. Lots of people do what you are doing and try and explain it away, when your above example is totally incorrect.

And if it isn't, why don't you ship at cost? That's really only taking it from Bucket A and putting it in Bucket B and you won't make a cent less or more, right? Right?

How does it screw up market price data? His books aren't CGC graded so they don't show up in GPAnalysis.com. Are you saying that his few auctions that have lower sales prices will cause a depression among the Overstreet Price Guide folks who comb ebay for sales prices (assuming these people exist)? If so, then perhaps you should launch a crusade against low feedback sellers, sellers who sell without using any pictures or scans whatsoever, and sellers who have no-refund policies? Those things all skew value too.

I agree with you in theory, but we're talking about a few dollars here, so does that really screw up market price data? and what is a "kludge"?

also, how is my example incorrect? I mean, it's as simple as taking A + B. let's not mix up our words here. just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it "incorrect"

and to your final point, I believe I have agreed to ship "at cost". In the past on eBay I have never put a strictly defined shipping policy in my auctions which results i tons of back-and-forth via e-mail after the auctions are over. This time, I thought I would make it easy and say what the shipping cost is going to be upfront. So I initially erred on the high side... but that's no longer the case!

I have gotten the point!!! let's make peace! flowerred.gif