• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

....what book ended the bronze age?

24 posts in this topic

When did the Modern Age end? The exact book is debatable, but the year seems to me clearly 1996.

1996 was the cover date of the last Sandman issue #75. This brought to a close what I think of as the defining characteristic of the Modern period: a self-conscious, Look-Comics-Aren't-Just-for-Kids approach (even though I love what Gaiman, Moore, Morrison, etc. have done over the last 17 years).

In 1996 Marvel stopped many of their Silver Age stalwarts (FF, Avengers, Capt. America) for the horribly ill-conceived Heroes Reborn experiment.

In 1996 the JLx books folded, setting the stage for the back-to-basics JLA, which led to other unapologetic/renaissance approaches to super-heroics with the Heroes Return books, and arguably, even the Authority and the current Ultimates.

In 1996 the Spider-Man Clone saga was reaching the point of ridiculousness...

I have no idea what the current age is! Ask me again in 10 years...

Cheers,

Z.

Zonk,

We r now in the Acrlic/cgc age since 2000. 3rd party slabbing has rejuvenated back issue sales by getting good press for record breakin' eBay, internet, or live auction sales. Most of the scuttlebutt in CBG each week is about cgc & auction prices realized. Every week CBG reports the latest price multiple factor on their FRONT cvr for 9.2, etc. More hype, the better. At every comicon in the nation, fanboys r cherrypicking collections looking for 9.0 & up raw comics for POTENTIAL submission. Even if it's Peter Porker #2. confused.gif

Let's not confuse milestones in the back-issue collecting aftermarket with events in the real-live monthly production of new comic books.

When we debate the Golden/Silver/Bronze ages, we're talking about what the creators of the monthly books were trying to accomplish, what market trends they were attempting to foster or respond to in their current or potential audiences.

In the collecting aftermarket, I agree CGC slabbing is a watershed event. Previous such events would include the rise of the internet auction with eBay, the first Sotheby's auction of then-ridiculously-high-priced high-grade books, and the discovery and dissemination of the Mile High / Edgar Church pedigree collection.

In the so-called real world of comics production, the current age will either be remembered as a Renaissance that brought the comics industry successfully into the 21st century, or a last-gasp Baroque period of a vanishing industry collapsing in on itself by addressing a continually-shrinking and disproportionally fannish customer base.

Time will tell...

Cheers,

Z.

Actually golden age prices were vary depressed in the 1st Sotheby's auction. Bidders were cautious & did not know what to expect. Remember this was b4 eBay & weekly auctions in CBG. Many lots of Mile High bks failed to sell. Orig comic bk art fr the 1970s sold in big bundles for CHEAP as everyone was after silver or gold artwork. Today w/ advent of eBay & the online bidders growing up in the 70s & fondly remembering early 80s comics, bids r VERY strong for bronze age comics, art & covers.