• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If the crash comes...

467 posts in this topic

Flame on!!

lol

If I was to guess who would've provided the first negative comment, it would have been Branget.

Picking the next big TMNT, TWD is like picking a needle n a hay stack -- it was in the past; such is the case now. But the chances of catching lightning in a bottle seem greater now than in the past.

Maybe I'm missing the point or maybe super hero stories need to be treated differently. But I would expect more works to hit TV/film more in the next five years than ever before.

Does that constitute worth in investing in comics? Probably not. But people are stupid. I am confident that there will be an increase in successful comic book driven movies and TV which will only increase the number of comic book speculators.

Sure, I can see a crash coming, but I would expect a new large wave of speculators before we see a crash.

So few have answered the question of this thread: "if the crash comes" (not when).

That said, it's up to little argument; most of us would snipe the books we love most.

I didn't start collecting until ~5 years ago. I did not experience the last crash.

For super hero stories, I can understand why some might believe a crash is imminent. Pop culture is on the verge of being saturated with super hero stories and we can't expect the likes of Iron Fist, Agent Carter, Big Hero 6, etc to obtain & maintain popularity.

But, has anyone seen this many comic book stories in production for other forms of media (TV, film)? There are so many. Sure, not all will keep its momentum, but has the number of comic book works in pre-production ever been that long?

In other words, between great works like Mind MGMT, Scalped & many others, I expect a greater number of comic book stories to become successful ala TMNT than in the past.

Now, I'll sit here and wait to be flamed. =)

It's very likely we'll see more stories from comics, especially some independent ones, for movies and tv. Some great stories are coming out of there, and to make a movie or TV show, boom, already a built in audience.

So few have answered the question of this thread: "if the crash comes" (not when).

That said, it's up to little argument; most of us would snipe the books we love most.

I didn't start collecting until ~5 years ago. I did not experience the last crash.

For super hero stories, I can understand why some might believe a crash is imminent. Pop culture is on the verge of being saturated with super hero stories and we can't expect the likes of Iron Fist, Agent Carter, Big Hero 6, etc to obtain & maintain popularity.

But, has anyone seen this many comic book stories in production for other forms of media (TV, film)? There are so many. Sure, not all will keep its momentum, but has the number of comic book works in pre-production ever been that long?

In other words, between great works like Mind MGMT, Scalped & many others, I expect a greater number of comic book stories to become successful ala TMNT than in the past.

Now, I'll sit here and wait to be flamed. =)

Is Scalped still in "development"?

Such a great book...

Flame on!!

lol

If I was to guess who would've provided the first negative comment, it would have been Branget.

Picking the next big TMNT, TWD is like picking a needle n a hay stack -- it was in the past; such is the case now. But the chances of catching lightning in a bottle seem greater now than in the past.

Maybe I'm missing the point or maybe super hero stories need to be treated differently. But I would expect more works to hit TV/film more in the next five years than ever before.

Does that constitute worth in investing in comics? Probably not. But people are stupid. I am confident that there will be an increase in successful comic book driven movies and TV which will only increase the number of comic book speculators.

Sure, I can see a crash coming, but I would expect a new large wave of speculators before we see a crash.

This is assuming that there isn't some major flop in the next 2-3 years that kills the momentum and turns comic properties toxic to Hollywood. I am coming around to the idea that at least some of the films slated for a 2020 release won't end up being made. I'm not sure this cycle has that sort of legs. I hope so, but I'm growing skeptical.

Flame on!!

lol

???

Flame on!!

lol

???

That's how I felt, but I regret saying anything negative outside of a PM.

Wow

Ok then.

j4bo8.jpg

Is Scalped still in "development"?

Such a great book...

How many books can you confidently say are still in "development"?

Scalped has been able to hold its price in the second hand market; that's all I can say.

I have to admit, with how quickly word can generally spread now-a-days, I am very impressed with how clueless we are with what comic TV/films are to come.

It's easy to be clueless when the rights to every comic is bought and 99% are put on a shelf. They announce the purchase and conveniently leave out the storage unit.

It's easy to be clueless when the rights to every comic is bought and 99% are put on a shelf. They announce the purchase and conveniently leave out the storage unit.

] I said (paraphrasing): the immediate future will only bring in more speculators. The crash will not occur soon.

I made no argument against market saturation. I made no argument against we coming to a point where all the books being 'taken' (by 'taken' I mean all the best books were optioned or as Branget worded it: put on the shelf).

] I said (paraphrasing): the immediate future will only bring in more speculators. The crash will not occur soon.

I made no argument against market saturation. I made no argument against we coming to a point where all the books being 'taken' (by 'taken' I mean all the best books were optioned or as Branget worded it: put on the shelf).

Wow.

I'll assume you're having a rough night.

Flame on!!

lol

I think before we see a new wave of speculators, we first need to see some news of an unexpectedly large comic sale that draws the eye of those not familiar with the modern market.

Didn't we have this with the nearly 1 million print run Star Wars comic?

That drew more non-collectors into stores than virtually any event in a decade.

Sure -- another multi-million dollar GA sale would help, but I don't see how that would affect modern comic readership.

Sure -- another multi-million dollar GA sale would help, but I don't see how that would affect modern comic readership.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a sale of a book that people see as within reach. If New Mutants 98 starts breaking $1000 regularly when the trailers start coming, people will potentially see that as something that can be duplicated. Walking Dead 1 prices could as well, but there aren't enough of those out there for there to be a string of sales that eventually sticks in someone's mind. You're probably not going to hear a whole lot of news coverage on this sort of thing, but word of mouth from plenty of people selling off their Deadpools might be enough.

Why do you say it " drew non-collectors"?

Because Star Wars fans vastly out-number comic book fans, just as Stephen King fans vastly out-number comic book fans.

And -- unlike 98% of the Star Wars books of the last 20 years, Star Wars # 1 was an event -- when issues are being sold at Hot Topic, you've reached far beyond the normal "let's go to the comic book store" crowd.