• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If the crash comes...

467 posts in this topic

Sure...when's the last time we had a comic break 1 million for a first print?

Here's a hint -- it was before the year 2000. I'd have to do more research than I'm willing to verify, but I believe you'd have to go back to at least 1995 as well.

Not that I (or anyone) can quantify the % that went to normal comic collectors vs. non-comic collectors who picked up a copy, but the most logical reason would be:

it appeals to a broad base of non-comic fans who were interested in the title due to hype.

Ok. I thought there may be some numbers behind your theory.

Yeah I would say 98% of the people that bought it at my store were comic book fans. Didn't really get a whole lot un-comic book fan people in for it. A few here and there. That's it.

Here's a hint -- it was before the year 2000. I'd have to do more research than I'm willing to verify, but I believe you'd have to go back to at least 1995 as well.

Not that I (or anyone) can quantify the % that went to normal comic collectors vs. non-comic collectors who picked up a copy, but the most logical reason would be:

it appeals to a broad base of non-comic fans who were interested in the title due to hype.

It was also, I'm guessing, easily the most speculated on and over bought comic since anything pre-2000.

100 variants

FTFY

:flamed:

:shy: I think you are having too much fun in this thread...

:shy:

Maybe. ;)

I guess this is where we disagree. There were a large number of store variants at 5,000 copies each. A large number of collectors have multiple copies. I understand it was a very high volume of issues ordered/sold but you are assuming it is new blood while I am assuming it is hoarding.

Yeah I would say 98% of the people that bought it at my store were comic book fans. Didn't really get a whole lot un-comic book fan people in for it. A few here and there. That's it.

That is my experience as well. Large volume does not equal new blood.

If we assume it's new blood then it would be logical to see the market as healthy while getting a boost from the title. I believe it is more of a sign of trouble. Who is sitting on all these copies?

It was also, I'm guessing, easily the most speculated on and over bought comic since anything pre-2000.

Plus, something like 250k-300k of that was just from Loot Crate to go in that month's box.

I still have yet to see a new, previously non- comic buying customer walk into my store and say, "I just saw the Avengers movie! I'd like to buy a comic!"

I'm sure it does, and will happen, I guess, at some point, but more than likely they'll buy an Avengers Action Figure or key-chain.

A couple of years ago at one of the Diamond breakfasts, I was talking to one of the top Marvel traveling reps, and I said, "Ya know... for years, comic books have promoted movies, and video games, and all kinds of merchandise.... when are we going to see that turned around the other way. You guys don't even put comic books in the Marvel Select type Action Figures anymore."

He said, "That's going to change. That's going to change. We have some ideas on that coming up."

Still nothing.

Seems like it'd make sense.

I still have yet to see a new, previously non- comic buying customer walk into my store and say, "I just saw the Avengers movie! I'd like to buy a comic!"

I'm sure it does, and will happen, I guess, at some point, but more than likely they'll buy an Avengers Action Figure or key-chain.

A couple of years ago at one of the Diamond breakfasts, I was talking to one of the top Marvel traveling reps, and I said, "Ya know... for years, comic books have promoted movies, and video games, and all kinds of merchandise.... when are we going to see that turned around the other way. You guys don't even put comic books in the Marvel Select type Action Figures anymore."

He said, "That's going to change. That's going to change. We have some ideas on that coming up."

Still nothing.

I always wondered why they don't do a advertisement right before the movie (or after the credits) for the comics.

If we assume it's new blood then it would be logical to see the market as healthy while getting a boost from the title. I believe it is more of a sign of trouble. Who is sitting on all these copies?

(TRIGGER WARNING. The following comment may be taken literally by the easily and/or eternally offended. Please note, the author is not referring to Branget's actual mother, nor is any other mother, real or implied, intended. It should not be red by anyone who has an overdeveloped fondness for their own mother or mothers in general, an aversion to the urban game "snaps" or "the dozens", anyone with a heart condition, or those who are lactose intolerant. Thank you.)

Your mom.

Still nothing.

I always wondered why they don't do a advertisement right before the movie (or after the credits) for the comics.

Because comic book publishers are nothing but incubators and holding pens for intellectual properties. They stopped being interested in actually selling comic books in the 90's.

Yes, I'm not kidding.

To hold a copyright, you must exercise that right, and there's no better way to do that than to put characters in a format that doesn't cost a lot of money, and keeps intellectual properties safe.

(TRIGGER WARNING. The following comment may be taken literally by the easily and/or eternally offended. Please note, the author is not referring to Branget's actual mother, nor is any other mother, real or implied, intended. It should not be red by anyone who has an overdeveloped fondness for their own mother or mothers in general, an aversion to the urban game "snaps" or "the dozens", anyone with a heart condition, or those who are lactose intolerant. Thank you.)

Your mom.

Pressing at its finest. :whee:

Still nothing.

Because comic book publishers are nothing but incubators and holding pens for intellectual properties. They stopped being interested in actually selling comic books in the 90's.

Yes, I'm not kidding.

To hold a copyright, you must exercise that right, and there's no better way to do that than to put characters in a format that doesn't cost a lot of money, and keeps intellectual properties safe.

Yep.

Still nothing.

Yes, I'm not kidding.

Yup +1

Content R+D and copyright place holding.

I guess this is where we disagree. There were a large number of store variants at 5,000 copies each. A large number of collectors have multiple copies. I understand it was a very high volume of issues ordered/sold but you are assuming it is new blood while I am assuming it is hoarding.

It was mostly hoarding IMHO.

So if the crash comes,than what kind of crash are we talking about?

Modern comics sales crash?

Movie hyped comics crash?

Superheroes comic book movies crash?

The CGC modern 9.8 crash?

The SIG crash?

The variant cover crash?

The OA crash?

If there was a crash it be far different then the 1990s which basically was a bunch of people buying multiple copies of new comics and flipping them for a higher price.

Things are so vastly different now. There would not be one whole crash across the board, maybe one or two categories which would be absorbed by the remaining unaffected categories.

Basically, 1990s bubble and crash will never happen again because it can`t.

New ballgame and new players.

The SIG crash?

The variant cover crash?

The OA crash?

If there was a crash it be far different then the 1990s which basically was a bunch of people buying multiple copies of new comics and flipping them for a higher price.

Things are so vastly different now. There would not be one whole crash across the board, maybe one or two categories which would be absorbed by the remaining unaffected categories.

So just specific segments of the market could crash and leave everything else entirely unaffected? I'm not so sure. The speculation in comics has brought a lot of money into the hobby, and not necessarily just in the neat little segments you identified. Many speculators are active across many of those areas, and the profits often get reinvested and prop up other areas that we couldn't guess at (PCH? Pre-hero Marvels? SA DC?) that are someone's core collection. What if the crash causes those formerly core pieces to get sold off? This situation will be more complex than just letting the air out of movie books or modern variants, I fear.

The SIG crash?

The variant cover crash?

The OA crash?

When the cops raid the whorehouse, the good girls go to jail along with the bad. :preach: