• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If the crash comes...

467 posts in this topic

Dredd (2012) - $13 mil profit

Losers (2010) - $23 mil profit

---------------

I am thinking that 90-95% of the people who saw those two movies had never read the comics and probably didn't even know they had to do with comics. I will assume most just figured Dredd was a remake of the Stallone movie. And Losers...weren't the losers in the comic in WW II or did DC do a modern version too? only loosely related to the comic.

Dredd lost way more money than that. You have to take the box office, and factor in only about 70% or so went to the studio, the rest went to the theaters. Dredd made a little over 40 million at the box office, the studio probably took home 30-35 (maybe less because most of Dredd's business was international, and the studios get less % in the foreign market) of it on a 50 million dollar production budget, and that doesn't even include marketing cost. The studio lost its on Dredd, which I agree, was a solid movie. I'd say they probably lost closer to at least 30 million on that film, which is terrible for a move that costs "only" 50 million.

The DVD sales weren't terrible for such a small film but it still didn't get them out of the red.

The Stallone film was a huge loss too, kind of a dumb property to try to come back to in the U.S. market.

The crash will hit stuff like remarked sketch covers by unpublished artists, high grade cgc 9.8 new do-nothing books and not uncommon variant covers. It seems the trend is for sustainability for "first appearcne" issues, be it a #1 first issue or not.

I remember when trading cards were first graded and anything PSA 10 was commanding high vale for that "perfect specimen" appeal, only to realize the majority of collectors didn't envy or care about those cards, and furthermore newer releases are expected to grade high since there is minimal handling hot off the presses vs releases that have been handled through time.

I remember when sketch cards were popular, and then the market got flooded by mediocrity in both rendering and lack of and lack of notable artist names.

I remember when publishers used to release variants to commemorate something special once in a blue moon, but now it is too commonplace and is for the sake of publishers forcing retailers to buy more to push production numbers and revenue up.