• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It was bound to happen sooner or later...

33 posts in this topic

It's dead obvious a simple bubble mailer envelope for a slab is asking for trouble. Particularly, if it is traveling over a great distance.

I neg'ed and asked for my money back when this happened to me. It was the only time I ever did. You have to at least give a responsible effort to ship the item in a reasonably safe manner. You don't have to make money on the deal but you should get you reparation for your trouble or a refund.

when you say "instead of a box" are you meaning the book was (per the auction perameters) supposed to be shipped in a box? Did you ask for it to be shipped in a box? Did you pay for boxed shipping?

Who DOESN'T ship slabs in a box? (shrug)

I know I do, 100% of the time without being asked because that's just how it should be done.

+ 1 ........ sounds like a teachable moment for the seller. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Do you have a pic of how it was shipped? The way it was inside the envelope? That would be good for a laugh (or a cry).

I did not take a picture, but it was wrapped in a thin layer of bubble wrap inside a long Priority Mail envelope (not the padded ones or even the ones made of cardboard, but the paper ones).

That's awful! I got something like that once too, and the slab was cracked. When I brought up the problem to the seller, he said, "I've sent hundreds of slabbed comics that way with no problems."

I recently made a guide to shipping slabbed comics in the "How to Ship" forum.

I got something like that once too, and the slab was cracked. When I brought up the problem to the seller, he said, "I've sent hundreds of slabbed comics that way with no problems."

I always love that line - like it absolves them from the fact that there is a problem now.

-slym

Once I sold a modern SS slab through ebay to a buyer. When he won it ... he emailed me to tell me he want me ship to his U.S. address at the cheapest cost. I told him in email reply that it has to be shipped in a box. He wanted me do by bubble mailer. I won't do that. I wrapped it up well and packed in a box is what I will do.

So after some time he finally paid the auction. I shipped it out in a box.

Later, I got a notice from eBay that I was asked to refund back to this buyer when he filed a claim that the slab was damaged. I sent to the eBay dept all the photos and documents of this slab in auction. They had a look at the photos and I was cleared from the claim.

The buyer lose out - no refund for his little game. :sumo:

Once I sold a modern SS slab through ebay to a buyer. When he won it ... he emailed me to tell me he want me ship to his U.S. address at the cheapest cost. I told him in email reply that it has to be shipped in a box. He wanted me do by bubble mailer. I won't do that. I wrapped it up well and packed in a box is what I will do.

So after some time he finally paid the auction. I shipped it out in a box.

Later, I got a notice from eBay that I was asked to refund back to this buyer when he filed a claim that the slab was damaged. I sent to the eBay dept all the photos and documents of this slab in auction. They had a look at the photos and I was cleared from the claim.

The buyer lose out - no refund for his little game. :sumo:

Yea that is ridiculous. Obviously some people consider the plastic part of the item itself, but the plastic is really there as protection for what is obviously being sold: the comic. If you can get a refund every time there is a crack in a slab you can scam your way to a massive collection.

Obviously some people consider the plastic part of the item itself, but the plastic is really there as protection for what is obviously being sold: the comic.

This part right here is ridiculous. To say the slab isn't part of what you're buying....you gotta be kidding me, right??

Obviously some people consider the plastic part of the item itself, but the plastic is really there as protection for what is obviously being sold: the comic.

This part right here is ridiculous. To say the slab isn't part of what you're buying....you gotta be kidding me, right??

It is part of what you are buying of course, there is a cost associated with it. The slab is just the vehicle to deliver a comic in the grade it was given.

Seller is responsible of course but how does it cost $37 for a re-holder including shipping and invoice?? ouch

Easy:

$10 there + $12 reholder + $12 return + $5 invoice

Actually $39

Who sends one book off the re-holder?

The point is, you don't have to stick your finger up his bum and wiggle it around.

Seller is responsible of course but how does it cost $37 for a re-holder including shipping and invoice?? ouch

Easy:

$10 there + $12 reholder + $12 return + $5 invoice

Actually $39

Who sends one book off the re-holder?

The point is, you don't have to stick your finger up his bum and wiggle it around.

It shouldn't matter. The cost is the cost.

And for the record, I've only had two slabs damaged by poor handling by the USPS. In each case, I refunded approx. $50 to the buyer to cover the full reholdering fee, whether they choose to do it or not.

While I agree but the seller failed in the delivery of the product. The seller should tell the buyer to send it back for a full refund + the return shipping expense.