• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Top 50 Individual Books in the Hobby...

42 posts in this topic

Hmmm...maybe we should define exactly what the list is then, I was under the impression it was the 50 most valuable single issues.

That's what I was working towards...

If it's a combination of the coolest and most valuable, I'm not sure where we are

(though to my defense I did mention the Pep #22 in my email to Rob today).

Sorry I spaced on that one.

"Coolest" might not be a bad list either, but I think that one would be even tougher (since there's no easy metric for "cool")

Whoops you mentioned it foreheadslap.gif

How about Hulk 1 9.4 or....some of those raw super high grade Suspense 3's considering how much the 7.0 went for 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Also isn't there another HG Sups 1 thats not the Church copy or on the census

sure, but the list is a neither the coolest books NOR the most valuable, in the first list there would only be one each of 50 comics. And in the second, the chips would fall as they may, value-wise, so there would (I guess) be all six, or more.

But this list is meant to be somewhere inbetween, so having 12% of the total list be Marvels #1s seems excessive, no matter how much anybody likes that book....dont you think?

Quoted from earlier:

At this point I'm not judging anything. I'm just tossing books out there. That said, in my mind, the list should reflect the best copies of the biggest books. The easiest criteria upon which to judge THAT would probably be estimated value (of which condition is obviously a factor.) The list will be all keys and I can't imagine that it will be more than a dozen issues deep, with multiples taking up a majority of the spots.

damn... failed reading comprehension!

How about Hulk 1 9.4 or....some of those raw super high grade Suspense 3's considering how much the 7.0 went for 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah, the Hulk 1 in 9.4 would probably qualify, but I don't think even Magic's super incredible copy of Suspense #3 would bring 100K, and I think it's safe to say we're looking at only 100K+ books when talking about the 50 most valuable individual comics.

Thanks to zillatoy I just got a big bump in terms of candidates... The hard part now is attaching condition notes to the below (if we care really care to try to rank these...)

here are a few others that i just jotted down while thinking about it:

Allentown Tec 27, 29, 38 Marvel 1, Cap 1,

Reilly - Batman 1, Cap 1, Det 27, Flash 1, More fun 52, 53

Church - Action 1, All-American 16, All-Star 3

Batman 1, Cap 1, Flash 1, Marvel 1, Tec 27, 33, 38

More fun 52, 53, Superman 1, Whiz 2

Denver - Detective 1, Marvel 1

Kansas City - Flash 1

Chicago Marvel 1

Pay copy - Marvel 1

Non-pedigreed

Tec 27 cgc 8.0, and 1 nicer one

Action 1 cgc 8.5 and 1 nicer one

Batman 1 cgc 9.0 (both)

Marvel #1 cgc 8.5

Superman 1 cgc 7.5

Silver

Spidey 1 cgc 9.8

Fantasy 15 cgc 9.6

Ff 1 cgc 9.6

Showcase 4 cgc 9.4

x-men 1 cgc 9.8

thats list has WAY too many Marvel#1s on it, If there are 6 killer copies to choose from, all 6 cant be on this exclusive list , can they?

How many of those 6 copies are October prints? The Larson copy is awesome but its a November print and so far in the last year or so I have only seen one October copy and that's the Nic Cage 5.0. Even the Pay copy and the other high grade one that Jay Parino has are November versions. Makes me believe that the if there is an October print of 8.5 or higher it should be at the top of the Marvel #1 list? No?

since we could never agree on the order of a top-50 most coolest/valuable comic list,

how about we try to compile (strictly speaking) the top 50 most valuable comics in known existence - allowing all the known action1s, tec27s, marvel1s to dominate the top half - it would be interesting to see how the best known copies of say, Caps compares to the best known Archie versus the 6th best Marvel1 etc.

The problem with a list that is only about the 50 most valuable books period is that you will still have tons of copies of one book. The list will still have about 6 each of Marvel #1, Action #1, Detective #27, etc.

That will leave about 15 or so spaces for all the other books. There will be 2 or 3 each or Whiz #2, Batman #1, Superman #1, Cap America #1.

Really the problem is that if you are talking about the 50 most valuable comics you are only talking about 6 to 8 different comics total with anywhere from 1 to 6 copies in the top 50.

If a title could only have one copy of a book, the most expensive Action #1 (and so forth). Then that would be a wild list, with lots of debate. sign-rantpost.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893whatthe.gif

If you were going to put them in order, values would need to be assigned to each book.

I hope it gets that far as I'd like to see the results.

Thanks for the thread thumbsup2.gif

I would love to be able to do that. The problem is, getting a consensus on just how nice some of these books are. If we can do that, we might be able to generate some really interesting conversation in terms of absolute (or relative, if people are more comfortable discussing things that way) value.

I just got back from New York and will be trying to attach some grade/ anecdotal info to these books this week so that we can start to get a fuller view of what's on the table.

the top 50 most valuable comics in known existence

That's what this thread is about.

uh - just trying to increase your post count?

perhaps u didn't notice - but there is some interpretation to the meaning of "The Top 50 Individual Books in the Hobby". the title of the thread is ambiguous.

some folks here interpreted "Top" as meaning value. others felt it to be some concept vaguely associated with "collectible uniqueness/worth". others felt it was a combination of the two. there was further discussion on whether the list should include repeats, or simply unique issues.

my post was to do away with the "qualitative" aspects of assessing books (we could never agree on such a list) - and hence suggested to strictly rely on a "quantitative" measure - i.e. value. and further - to have known comics as the basis for the list - including repeats.

if u disagree that the thread didn't need a bit of focusing - then perhaps u didn't notice that we're up to 30+ posts on this thread and no initial list of 50 has even been offered up yet, much less confirmed...

uh - just trying to increase your post count?

No, are you? confused-smiley-013.gif

perhaps u didn't notice - but there is some interpretation to the meaning of "The Top 50 Individual Books in the Hobby". the title of the thread is ambiguous.

Yes, although several people got what I meant right off the bat, there was some question about what "top" really meant. My fault.

some folks here interpreted "Top" as meaning value. others felt it to be some concept vaguely associated with "collectible uniqueness/worth". others felt it was a combination of the two. there was further discussion on whether the list should include repeats, or simply unique issues.

my post was to do away with the "qualitative" aspects of assessing books (we could never agree on such a list) - and hence suggested to strictly rely on a "quantitative" measure - i.e. value. and further - to have known comics as the basis for the list - including repeats.

But very early on in this thread (1st page, one of the first few posts) I posted this, which covers all of the issues you just raised. Did you see this post?:

What criteria are you using to judge them? Estimated value or just condition? Are you talking strictly keys?

At this point I'm not judging anything. I'm just tossing books out there. That said, in my mind, the list should reflect the best copies of the biggest books. The easiest criteria upon which to judge THAT would probably be estimated value (of which condition is obviously a factor.) The list will be all keys and I can't imagine that it will be more than a dozen issues deep, with multiples taking up a majority of the spots.

Maybe it fails for being part of the conversation and not in my original post, but it covers the points you're bringing up.

if u disagree that the thread didn't need a bit of focusing - then perhaps u didn't notice that we're up to 30+ posts on this thread and no initial list of 50 has even been offered up yet, much less confirmed...

Okay, we don't have a list of fifty, but we do have a "close to fifty" start right here (again, this was posted on the first page.) I'm waiting until I have some free time to start to put together whatever grade information I can on this list (with the additions offered by other folks) and then seed a starter list. I'm also going to round out the list to fifty by including some of the second best SA books (since right now the ground floor seems to be 100k, there will be a few more SA books that will make that cutoff like the 9.4 AF 15s.)

Thanks to zillatoy I just got a big bump in terms of candidates... The hard part now is attaching condition notes to the below (if we care really care to try to rank these...)

here are a few others that i just jotted down while thinking about it:

Allentown Tec 27, 29, 38 Marvel 1, Cap 1,

Reilly - Batman 1, Cap 1, Det 27, Flash 1, More fun 52, 53

Church - Action 1, All-American 16, All-Star 3

Batman 1, Cap 1, Flash 1, Marvel 1, Tec 27, 33, 38

More fun 52, 53, Superman 1, Whiz 2

Denver - Detective 1, Marvel 1

Kansas City - Flash 1

Chicago Marvel 1

Pay copy - Marvel 1

Non-pedigreed

Tec 27 cgc 8.0, and 1 nicer one

Action 1 cgc 8.5 and 1 nicer one

Batman 1 cgc 9.0 (both)

Marvel #1 cgc 8.5

Superman 1 cgc 7.5

Silver

Spidey 1 cgc 9.8

Fantasy 15 cgc 9.6

Ff 1 cgc 9.6

Showcase 4 cgc 9.4

x-men 1 cgc 9.8

i'm just hoping to see a Top-50 (ranked) list, just in the way u are.

i felt your initial reply to my post (and the intention behind my post was meant to be sincere) was arrogant. if i was mistaken, then i'm sorry. i'm not trying to get into a spat with u. if u have a need to have the last word and reply to every point i make - go ahead and have it - i'm not going to respond to it.

again, just waiting to see a Top-50.