• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Perceived rarity of newsstand editions?

86 posts in this topic

"I think we are mainly talking popular, mass produced copper age books by the big two. "

I sense movement of the flag-poles.

:popcorn:

-slym

Yes, this happens often. If one makes a statement which is easily disproved, one will just change the parameters of the conversation to make the statement "fit."

But the parameters of the original post were "perceived rarity of newsstand editions", which encompasses comics from 1977 to 2015., and not just "popular, mass produced copper age books by the big two", which the OP didn't say at all.

Yeah i'd agree with RMA I want the most comprehensive information possible. I think the genesis of this misconception is the overly simplistic way this issue is discussed.

Just to make sure I'm following along - I haven't paid attention to direct and newsstand for many years - we ARE talking about a difference in the little box on the cover, whether it says "Direct" or not, perhaps in the case of the '80s or '90s the presence or not of a bar code?

And there are people who care about such things?

:screwy: Takes all kinds, I suppose.

There are certainly some people who care. Even some who will go so far as to get their knickers in a knot over such things.

Just to make sure I'm following along - I haven't paid attention to direct and newsstand for many years - we ARE talking about a difference in the little box on the cover, whether it says "Direct" or not, perhaps in the case of the '80s or '90s the presence or not of a bar code?

And there are people who care about such things?

:screwy: Takes all kinds, I suppose.

There are certainly some people who care. Even some who will go so far as to get their knickers in a knot over such things.

Yeah, I acknowledged later that it wasn't much different than other type of collecting focuses. Foci?

Although for me, I'd probably rather have the direct version, particularly in the earlier days - the barcode is just kinda ugly.