• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any comics/stories based in your small home town?

63 posts in this topic

A similar thread over in the WC got me thinking - do you know of any comics that are based in, or have stories that take place, in your small home town? The big cities get a pass as they are too easy (plus NYC is the center of the Marvel Universe for the most part), but what about Schenectady NY? Or Paducah IL?

I can't think of any stories set in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area of NC myself, but maybe someone in here has an example of their little home town. If so, please share!

-slym

The New Universe was pretty much centered around Pittsburgh, but that's because Shooter is from West Mifflin (about 20 minutes outside downtown). I believe that Starboard was from West Mifflin. And I grew up there until I was 8.

Edited by Doktor

That's weird that you should mention it. I just read the Spiderman/Superman Treasury, and the max security pen they put Doc Ock and Lex Luthor in is located in Deming, NM, a tiny southwestern town of around 10,000 people that I grew up in. It was pretty weird reading it in print.

That's weird that you should mention it. I just read the Spiderman/Superman Treasury, and the max security pen they put Doc Ock and Lex Luthor in is located in Deming, NM, a tiny southwestern town of around 10,000 people that I grew up in. It was pretty weird reading it in print.

:applause:

-slym

I went to the WC looking for the thread you mentioned, and was disappointed to see it was about songs. I was going to post that my small (under 10k residents) hometown was featured in a key episode of The X-Files, the one where Scully is abducted by aliens.

The original Nova series, circa 1976, was based in Hempstead, NY. Im not sure why they choose it. Both the writer and artist were from Long Island, but the Hempstead in the series was nothing like the real life village.

lol I understand Westchester is one word and I know its an upscale burb of the City. I swear though they changed location from early issues like 1 to 10 or such. I was wondering if anyone can back up the change of venue, or did I just misremember ( and yes that is not a word either lol)

resident of Deming from '85-'87 :hi:

lol I understand Westchester is one word and I know its an upscale burb of the City. I swear though they changed location from early issues like 1 to 10 or such. I was wondering if anyone can back up the change of venue, or did I just misremember ( and yes that is not a word either lol)

You are misremembering. The first panel of X-Men #1 says:

"In the main study of an exclusive private school in New York's Westchester county, a strange silent man sits motionless, brooding ... alone with his indescribable thoughts..."

I went to the WC looking for the thread you mentioned, and was disappointed to see it was about songs. I was going to post that my small (under 10k residents) hometown was featured in a key episode of The X-Files, the one where Scully is abducted by aliens.

I did say it was only similar...

:(

-slym

I think I can remember some stories taking place in Connecticut. I seem to remember a John Byrne 80s Marvel specifically and maybe a Rom story but nothing in any of the towns I've lived in.

Bruce Banner was born in Dayton, Ohio. And there was an issue of the Incredible Hulk around 2000 or so that had Hulk traveling through our own suburb of Fairborn, depicting actual buildings just a few blocks down the road from our shop.

No one cares about Dublin, CA. Dublin, OH is the money Dublin.

In fact, no one cares about the West Coast in general in comics. It's always about the East Coast.

:sumo:

And here is proof: "West Coast Avengers"

No one cares about Dublin, CA. Dublin, OH is the money Dublin.

In fact, no one cares about the West Coast in general in comics. It's always about the East Coast.

:sumo:

And here is proof: "West Coast Avengers"

That's right...the West Coast was so rare in comics, they had to invent a special title for it, because East Coast is default.

DD operated out of San Fran for a while, and I think Spiderwoman did, too....but the ratio of stories that take place on the East Coast as opposed to the West is probably in the realm of 1000:1.

Not that it matters in any way whatsoever. Just something to chat about.

:D