• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Surfer 44

111 posts in this topic

I loved that whole run growing up.

Basically my intro to the cosmic side of Marvel, and I'm not sure if it has a chance to ever be matched.

yeah, don't want to sound like i am purely profiteering, turns out i have a bunch of dupes and am trying to gauge whether some of these $2-$4 books today are $10+ ones in a few months worth holding on to...will that whole stretch of SS books be double digits?

I have a bunch I'm selling off tomorrow if you wanna gauge pricing on them...

I loved that whole run growing up.

Basically my intro to the cosmic side of Marvel, and I'm not sure if it has a chance to ever be matched.

yeah, don't want to sound like i am purely profiteering, turns out i have a bunch of dupes and am trying to gauge whether some of these $2-$4 books today are $10+ ones in a few months worth holding on to...will that whole stretch of SS books be double digits?

I have a bunch I'm selling off tomorrow if you wanna gauge pricing on them...

Well, I put the whole series (through 100) in Mylar last month. :grin:

And, when they were multi-colored, those weren't mistakes...?

We need proof, not supposition.

Did you even read comics?

The first appearance of a Soul/Infinity Gem shows it colored (green) and refers to it as "Emerald", the Stranger has a colored gem (yellow/Power) on his forehead, and the Gardener has a colored gem (red/orange/Time), and the first comic (shown above) where all the Soul/Infinity gems were shown, again, they were different colors and this is Marvel canon.

These have been multi-colored since their first appearances and anything that displays the Soul/Infinity Gems as one color is a MISTAKE. :makepoint:

1591624_original.jpg

Infinity%20Gaunlet.png

155318.jpg.9eb75282e4debf34a3c5159c22a532cc.jpg

Or a lazy colorist . . . :grin:

Exactly, some dunce feels like leaving early for a beer, slaps down a dull green across the glove and runs outs, and suddenly Rockhead thinks it's a conspiracy.

OMG, call the cops, Thor never had wings on his helmet - proof here!!!

Marvel_Team-Up_Vol_1_26.jpg

And, when they were multi-colored, those weren't mistakes...?

We need proof, not supposition.

Did you even read comics?

No, I've never red a comic book in my entire life. Comic? What's a comic?

hm

The first appearance of a Soul/Infinity Gem shows it colored (green) and refers to it as "Emerald", the Stranger has a colored gem (yellow/Power) on his forehead, and the Gardener has a colored gem (red/orange/Time), and the first comic (shown above) where all the Soul/Infinity gems were shown, again, they were different colors and this is Marvel canon.

These have been multi-colored since their first appearances and anything that displays the Soul/Infinity Gems as one color is a MISTAKE. :makepoint:

That is, of course, just opinion until proven, and your added picture isn't proof of anything that happened in the 70's. Obviously, by the time they appeared on the Infinity Gauntlet in IG #1, they were multi-colored, so producing a picture AFTER THAT doesn't prove anything that happened BEFORE THAT.

I will counter that, as the soul gems evolved with Starlin in the 70's, as happens so many times in comics, there wasn't a completely defined set of characteristics to the gems until much later...powerful evidence for which is demonstrated by the fact that the cover of SS #44, 15 years later, shows them all being yellow. As so much in comics, they evolved.

So, maybe not a MISTAKE, so much as a lack of definition.

The interesting picture is, of course, the panel from Warlock that you show above, which is, I believe, #15?

It's not about who's right and who's wrong, it's about WHAT is right. I don't care whether you're right or wrong, JC, because I'm not arguing against your position. I'm asking you to PROVE your position, so we can operate from knowledge, rather than opinion.

and suddenly Rockhead thinks it's a conspiracy.

If you can't have a conversation without being insulting, why are you here?

Is it just not possible for you to be challenged without getting angry about it every single damn time someone disagrees with you, that you have to resort to name calling?

You can't even be bothered to understand that I'm not disagreeing with you, only asking for you to prove what you're saying.

You are intellectually lazy, arrogant, and hostile.

Is it just not possible for you to be challenged without getting angry about it every single damn time someone disagrees with you, that you have to resort to name calling?

You can't even be bothered to understand that I'm not disagreeing with you, only asking for you to prove what you're saying.

Uh, no offense . . . :roflmao:

Uh, no offense . . . :roflmao:

None taken.

You can imply that I am what I accuse JC of being, but you will find little evidence of that, without going back many years.

You won't be finding any name calling from me, and you certainly won't be finding me not even bothering to find out what someone is saying before insulting them for "disagreeing" with me. Though you will not admit it, there is a substantive difference between the way JC and I conduct ourselves on this board, and there generally always has been.

And I won't turn the tables on you, here, either, though I certainly could.

Moving on, shall we?

You're insulted by this?

And yet you don't call this response an insult? :roflmao:

You're insulted by this?

And yet you don't call this response an insult? :roflmao:

That you don't see the difference is really the key, here, Divad.

If someone steals a loaf of bread, and I call them a thief, are they being insulted?

No.

Is unprovoked name-calling an example of hostility?

Is dismissively asking someone "do you even read comics?", who has a substantial body of evidence proving that he, in fact, reads comics an example of arrogance?

Is not even bothering to discern that someone isn't disagreeing, but only asking someone else to prove their statements an example of intellectual laziness?

Yes, yes, and yes.

That you don't see the difference is the issue.

You want to call me arrogant? No problem. Guilty as charged. We all have been arrogant to a degree, me more than many.

You want to call me "Rockhead", or any other name which implies that I'm stupid for the sole reason that I ask you to prove what you say? Then that's the difference.

That's the difference, and it is a massive, substantive, hugely consequential one. The difference between the two positions cannot be overstated.

And I have just respected you by giving you my time and an honest, straightforward answer, without insulting you or your intelligence.

And I have just respected you

If you can call it that. lol I have no dog in the fight between you and JC - I find it terribly amusing. :grin: Try not to confuse the two of us. :)

Now back to SS 44 - you couldn't give this book away last year. Remember this thread?

A good one, I might add. I seriously think this put the SS 2nd Series back in the focal point of collectors.

And I have just respected you

If you can call it that. lol I have no dog in the fight between you and JC - I find it terribly amusing. :grin: Try not to confuse the two of us. :).

I don't, which is why I took the time and effort to give you an honest answer.

There is no "fight" between myself and JC. But when JC starts being abusive, there's no reason to not call him on it.

As for SS #44...I wish I had bought more, but I think I have enough as it is.

I've had that book on the "buy me" radar as a potentially important book for a while, now.

Frankly, I'm surprised that it wasn't a bigger deal in the 90's. At that point, it was all about TQ, and Surfer #34 and #50.

It is always hard to try and fit historic data into an analysis like this. It is somewhat important now (to nerds), but at the time was not that important - to anyone. As such, consistency was lax. In fact, I would love to see a color guide for Warlock in the 70's to see if they identified a color for the soul gem.

I just got done googling Warlock covers from the 70's and there are at least three different colors of the soul gem that are represented - green, yellow and purplish. It even looks like they were trying to pick a color that would make it stand out against whatever the background colors were in some occasions.

It is especially hard to try and shoehorn consistency into something that was essentially a retcon - Warlock had his soul gem for 12-15 years, and at some time later, his soul gem was retconned into one of the Infinity Gems.