• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wings Comics Pedigrees

29 posts in this topic

>> I've never checked the dates to see if there was an across the

>> board change, but looking through the Photo Journals you can see

>> in each FH title where the they "got" the GGA editorial direction

Fight Comics started changing around issue 20 (Aug 1942) and 21 (oct 1942).

Both feature bound women in the foreground.

Rangers Comics had bondage covers from the get go.

Num 3 (Feb 1942) features a bound women in the foreground. But Rangers

hit its stride (IMO) around issue 14 (Dec 1943).

Wings Comics held out a lot longer -- most of their early years

are straight aviation covers. Issue 69 (May 1946) had

some cheesecake (babe on a downed aircraft at sea), issue

82 (June 1947) also had bondage and cheesecake, but it's

issues 89 (Jan 1948) through issue 94 (june 1948) that

get into the bizarro bondage/danger themes.

gozer

----------------------------------

Slow down. The sidewalk's for regular walking, not for fancy walking.

Jon,

How many books do you have in your amazing collection?

Hmm....about 1600 golden age.......I have a complete pre-War Fox run....Centaur run...Marvel Comics 1- Marvel Tales 100..complete silver age Marvel run.....it adds up over 30 years...

Truth be known....i sell some off from time to time to pay for my evolution into comicbook art altho i will pick up that stray Larson

jon

Jon,

I was looking through the 1991 Sotheby's Comic Book and Comic Art catalog yesterday and saw the Larson copy of Marvel Comics #1. What a stunner! (Committee graded VF+ as I'm sure you know.) Do you know who owns it and what it sold for at the auction? Any idea what it would grade at under the current standards? cloud9.gif

Jon,

Hmm....about 1600 golden age.......I have a complete pre-War Fox run....Centaur run...Marvel Comics 1- Marvel Tales 100..complete silver age Marvel run.....it adds up over 30 years...

Truth be known....i sell some off from time to time to pay for my evolution into comicbook art altho i will pick up that stray Larson

jon

Jon,

I was looking through the 1991 Sotheby's Comic Book and Comic Art catalog yesterday and saw the Larson copy of Marvel Comics #1. What a stunner! (Committee graded VF+ as I'm sure you know.) Do you know who owns it and what it sold for at the auction? Any idea what it would grade at under the current standards? cloud9.gif

That book and several other significant books were purchased by a card dealer at the auction who put them on display....Yes on display so, as i understand it, the Larson Marvel 1 faded....Anyone with more current info.....jon

Jon,

jon

Jon,

That book and several other significant books were purchased by a card dealer at the auction who put them on display....Yes on display so, as i understand it, the Larson Marvel 1 faded....Anyone with more current info.....jon

Wow, now that is just a damned shame. foreheadslap.gif

Oh My God,.......I feel ill !!! screwy.gif

My Local Comic Shop has Flourecent(sp?) lighting, but the owner, long ago, bought the pastic tubes which are split length-wise which block 98-99% of the harmful rays and had them wrapped around the tubes! There's only indirect natural light now to deal with. thumbsup2.gif

I really do feel sick thinking about that Larson Marvel Comics # 1,......a true shame !

>> I've never checked the dates to see if there was an across the

>> board change, but looking through the Photo Journals you can see

>> in each FH title where the they "got" the GGA editorial direction

Fight Comics started changing around issue 20 (Aug 1942) and 21 (oct 1942).

Both feature bound women in the foreground.

Rangers Comics had bondage covers from the get go.

Num 3 (Feb 1942) features a bound women in the foreground. But Rangers

hit its stride (IMO) around issue 14 (Dec 1943).

Wings Comics held out a lot longer -- most of their early years

are straight aviation covers. Issue 69 (May 1946) had

some cheesecake (babe on a downed aircraft at sea), issue

82 (June 1947) also had bondage and cheesecake, but it's

issues 89 (Jan 1948) through issue 94 (june 1948) that

get into the bizarro bondage/danger themes.

gozer

Number 3 was drawn by the great Dan Zolnerowich who did many planet covers also. Murphy Anderson loves his stuff......jon

719673-1scanran1.jpg

719673-1scanran1.jpg.304aa8288dd6da9367f4931c56620074.jpg