• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Origin story of Lobo?

37 posts in this topic

Hey there :3

I know that Omega Men #3 is Lobo's first appearance, and with #5 being his second; so on and so forth, but I was wondering exactly what issue is his origin story? And what are his other key issues?

All comments are most welcome.

- Omega Men #37 ("Partners: The Last Vega Story"): 1st standalone story. Lobo accepts a contract on his old partner, Bedlam.

- Lobo: The Last Czarnian #1 ("Portrait of a Psychopath"): Changes the origin of Lobo where he was the one that really killed off all other members of his race, now called Czarnians (originally called 'Velorpians').

I had happened across this a while back when looking for his full origin.

The Origin of Lobo #1 by Mark Waid, pencils by Keith Giffen

I'm not sure if that is an extract from a full comic, or specially made for digital publication.

- Omega Men #37 ("Partners: The Last Vega Story"): 1st standalone story. Lobo accepts a contract on his old partner, Bedlam.

- Lobo: The Last Czarnian #1 ("Portrait of a Psychopath"): Changes the origin of Lobo where he was the one that really killed off all other members of his race, now called Czarnians (originally called 'Velorpians').

I had happened across this a while back when looking for his full origin.

The Origin of Lobo #1 by Mark Waid, pencils by Keith Giffen

I'm not sure if that is an extract from a full comic, or specially made for digital publication.

It says "conversion by," suggesting to me it's from a print piece originally

i am remembering some lobo story where his species can't be killed because they just multiply when killed and he figured out how to kill off the rest of his species to be the last one? or am i just imagining it?

Ahh I see :3

So really his first origin story is Omega Men #37, but his origin was changed every so slightly in Lobo: The Last Czarnian #1.

Omega Men #37 is more a key issue - not anything to do with his origin. But it did demonstrate how once Lobo has accepted a contract, it doesn't matter who you are. He will fulfill that contract.

So really his first origin story is Omega Men #37, but his origin was changed every so slightly in Lobo: The Last Czarnian #1.

It might be more accurate to say that the Lobo in the Omega Men was a prototype of a bounty hunter character who was later relaunched with an almost completely different origin and personality as the black leather Main Man type. Unofficial Guide to the DCU lists the tougher Lobo's first appearance as Justice League International 18.

Linky

It's comparable to New Mutants 98 being the first appearance of Deadpool, where he is more or less a stock assassin character. It's years later before he's granted the personality that made him a star.

It might be more accurate to say that the Lobo in the Omega Men was a prototype of a bounty hunter character who was later relaunched with an almost completely different origin and personality as the black leather Main Man type. Unofficial Guide to the DCU lists the tougher Lobo's first appearance as Justice League International 18.

Linky

It's comparable to New Mutants 98 being the first appearance of Deadpool, where he is more or less a stock assassin character. It's years later before he's granted the personality that made him a star.

Deadpool had that personality, even from New Mutants #98. If one reads NM #98, X-Force #2, 4, 5, etc, you see those personality traits that Fabian gave the character. Granted, it was subdued, but Deadpool was never the focus of those stories, and wouldn't be for a while.

Linky

Deadpool had that personality, even from New Mutants #98. If one reads NM #98, X-Force #2, 4, 5, etc, you see those personality traits that Fabian gave the character. Granted, it was subdued, but Deadpool was never the focus of those stories, and wouldn't be for a while.

Yeah, he definitely had some of that "Spidey smart-aleck" to him in those early books.

If Lobo: The Last Czarnian #1 ("Portrait of a Psychopath") changes the origin of Lobo, does that mean his first origin was in Omega Men #3?

I don't think there is any origin told in Omega Men #3. Just his appearance to fulfill a contract alongside Bedlam as they take out members of the Omega Men.

But I've found something, may possibly be key issues:

Omega Men #3 - First appearance

Omega Men #5 - Second appearance

Omega Men #9 - Third appearance

Omega Men #10 - First Lobo story

Omega Men #19 - Cameo

Omega Men #20 - Second Lobo story

But I've found something, may possibly be key issues:

Omega Men #3 - First appearance

Omega Men #5 - Second appearance

Omega Men #9 - Third appearance

Omega Men #10 - First Lobo story

Omega Men #19 - Cameo

Omega Men #20 - Second Lobo story

:applause:

And then there is #37 (1st solo Lobo story). #10 and #20 are key for Lobo because he appears in more than a few panels, making him more integrated into each story.

Something interesting about Omega Men #10.

Lobo is identified as a Velorpian in this issue. Later appearances will retroactively change the name of his race to Czarnian.

Linky

Shhh! We always want more than one "First" appearance. :applause::cloud9:

sure, lobo developed a bit more after OM 3, but he's pretty much there in that issue, flicking that guy's nose out the back of his head and blowing out his brain and such.