• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No More Mutants or how Marvel continues to mess with Fox

131 posts in this topic

The only Marvel titles I read now are all Star Wars. I'm only picking up Image, Dark Horse, and a few DC titles these days. I loved Cap when Bruebaker was writing, but once he left I stopped reading.

I get tired of all the mega event crossover nonsense and the lame stories coming out of Marvel. This latest round with reworking how certain mutants came to be in order to circumvent any legal problems is silly to me, considering Marvel put themselves in this position when they signed the deal with FOX.

The only Marvel titles I read now are all Star Wars. I'm only picking up Image, Dark Horse, and a few DC titles these days. I loved Cap when Bruebaker was writing, but once he left I stopped reading.

I get tired of all the mega event crossover nonsense and the lame stories coming out of Marvel. This latest round with reworking how certain mutants came to be in order to circumvent any legal problems is silly to me, considering Marvel put themselves in this position when they signed the deal with FOX.

+1

Also to DC Comics as well.

An example is I like reading Batman and Superman comics, but why must I have to put up with a bunch of second string heroes in their stories because of universe crossovers?

It`s a turn off. I don`t buy mega event crossovers anymore.

Yes, I know they bring in money, but that`s short term thinking.

In the long term they are alienating their loyal customers.

There have been so many mega event crossovers that if you seen one,than you seen them all.

Both of the big two companies should go back to focusing on telling good stories.

This hyped mega event crossover stuff has gotten old.

2c

For the most part I just pretend most of Marvel doesn't exist post mid 90's. Even when I was 14 when they brought Norman back I pretty much said my cut off is ASM 400 Aunt May is dead...again about time. I don't think I have read X-Men beyond Onslaught. You can just use Heroes Reborn or something as the end point. The mid 90's is a perfect time to jump off unless you want to jump off sooner due to the drek. I mean look how not only they brought Norman back...they totally have mess all over the history there...plus Aunt May basically died again creating another reviled storyline. I think the only most recent things I have read were Daredevil, Punisher, and some Annhilation none of which are even that recent. I might give Brubaker Cap a spin if I ever find the time.

Quicksilver was arguably the highlight of Fox's X-Men: Days of Future Past , he wasn't quite such a big deal in the Avenger's sequel.

I have to pose this question because I keep hearing it mentioned how great Quicksilver was in DOFP. Was Quicksilver really that awesome or was it just that one scene...where he said nothing? Obviously over all better than the Avengers version but over all I'm not sure he was as amazing as everyone claims. Everyone that isn't in to comics only mentions him in the context of that one scene.

For the most part I just pretend most of Marvel doesn't exist post mid 90's. Even when I was 14 when they brought Norman back I pretty much said my cut off is ASM 400 Aunt May is dead...again about time. I don't think I have read X-Men beyond Onslaught. You can just use Heroes Reborn or something as the end point. The mid 90's is a perfect time to jump off unless you want to jump off sooner due to the drek. I mean look how not only they brought Norman back...they totally have mess all over the history there...plus Aunt May basically died again creating another reviled storyline. I think the only most recent things I have read were Daredevil, Punisher, and some Annhilation none of which are even that recent. I might give Brubaker Cap a spin if I ever find the time.

Try Brubaker`s Daredevil as well.

Good stuff!

Quicksilver was arguably the highlight of Fox's X-Men: Days of Future Past , he wasn't quite such a big deal in the Avenger's sequel.

I have to pose this question because I keep hearing it mentioned how great Quicksilver was in DOFP. Was Quicksilver really that awesome or was it just that one scene...where he said nothing? Obviously over all better than the Avengers version but over all I'm not sure he was as amazing as everyone claims. Everyone that isn't in to comics only mentions him in the context of that one scene.

He was funny. Humor goes a long way.

:)

At least Fox didn't give him cheesy dialogue and kill him off like the MCU did. For only being in that one scene I'd say he did well. 2c

Can't Marvel just call Wolverine etc Inhumans and start makin movies if they could do it with Quicksilver? And call the FF the Four Inhumans and get them back too?

Wasn't Wolverine determined not to be a mutant in the Earth/Universe X mini-series - but a divergent strain of mankind not impacted by the celestials? Why not go with that?

FF are definitely not "mutants" in the sense of the modern definition, so a rebranding with exposure to the terrigen mists versus "space radiation" surely seems plausible.

I said this in another thread -

This makes me want to get my X-logo tattoo on my shoulder lasered off. The pain would still be less than how I feel about what they are doing to my favourite characters.

you, Marvel.

-slym

I said this in another thread -

This makes me want to get my X-logo tattoo on my shoulder lasered off. The pain would still be less than how I feel about what they are doing to my favourite characters.

So, I'm gathering you like the X-Men? :)

+1

Also to DC Comics as well.

An example is I like reading Batman and Superman comics, but why must I have to put up with a bunch of second string heroes in their stories because of universe crossovers?

It`s a turn off. I don`t buy mega event crossovers anymore.

Yes, I know they bring in money, but that`s short term thinking.

In the long term they are alienating their loyal customers.

There have been so many mega event crossovers that if you seen one,than you seen them all.

Both of the big two companies should go back to focusing on telling good stories.

This hyped mega event crossover stuff has gotten old.

2c

It seems like the Marvel and DC mega events are very similar and happen about the same time. Straight forward, intelligent story telling is where it is at for me and a lot of others. Treating your readership like sheep is a mistake, and I think audiences have become more sophisticated than even fifteen years ago.

Slym, I feel you on the X-Men. I was a huge X-Men fan for years, but once the nuttiness started I stopped reading. I jumped on board briefly for Joss Whedon's run and left after that. Uncanny was a long time favorite title of mine.

Bruebaker on Cap was stellar :headbang: Hell, Bruebaker on just about anything is great! I was never into crime books until I started reading Bruebaker's stuff.

Toast, I tried to make it to #500 of Uncanny, and to a lesser extent, #200 of "adjectiveless" X-Men.

I didn't make it. I couldn't. Between horrible stories and crazy cover-prices, I just quit.

:sorry:

-slym

They're just getting kinda petty now.

I mean, it's one thing to not push books where the comic is only 1/100th the revenue stream of the films for the same investment. I can understand that to a degree. It's an investment/return ratio thing. But it's something else altogether to actively go out, pay someone to photoshop existing art (that you have a right to use for licensed products) just to remove characters & cut into your profit stream just so that their faces aren't even on a product that you will only make pennies on.

They're just getting kinda petty now.

I mean, it's one thing to not push books where the comic is only 1/100th the revenue stream of the films for the same investment. I can understand that to a degree. It's an investment/return ratio thing. But it's something else altogether to actively go out, pay someone to photoshop existing art (that you have a right to use for licensed products) just to remove characters & cut into your profit stream just so that their faces aren't even on a product that you will only make pennies on.

I agree. It`s starting to become a turn off. I am realizing now that it`s all about money with them, and someone running the ship at Marvel is a greedy modern day Scrooge.

Eventually they will kill their golden goose if these practices keep happening.

They forgot about the late 1990s when they were bankrupt, and the X-Men continued to be big sellers. No loyalty it seems for FF and X-Men characters.

Nobody put a gun to their head when they signed the contract with Fox.

Fox is honoring their end of the deal, so why can`t Marvel?

Honestly, I think it's actually NOT about money. (I mean, it's obviously about money at its root, but money that they would be making in movies if not for FOX being unwilling to work out an agreement that Disney/Marvel likes) It's about pride/principle to them at this point. They were unable to work out an agreement that would have been about money, so they got mad & spiteful & prideful.

But moves like this, cutting into the small (relatively) profit margin on t-shirts by paying someone to photoshop out certain characters & replace them with others, in spite, in order to not even have non-Marvel Studios characters on a t-shirt that isn't a Marvel Studios related licensed product, that's not about money. If it was, they would leave the art as-is, maximize their profit by using existing art as it stands, and letting the money roll in from t-shirt sales instead of adding extra cost (the photoshop work) onto the design side of the shirt.

The alternative theory is that they are using it as a platform to bump lesser characters into the spotlight. Remove the Thing and paste in Black Bolt. Now people see a shirt and notice and can name Spider-Man - but "who is that guy?" "What is he all about?"