• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: X-Men 105-A (35 Cent Variant)

5 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on the board and what a fun book to get to talk about.

Recently I discovered an oddball issue while cataloging my partner's comic book collection. My background is in marketing so I'm used to doing A/B splits with mailings and such to test the relative strength of two offers or what have you. But to me such things are purely functional so I thought little of it initially. Then my research revealed the "Marvel variants" and how an entire sub-genre of collectors have made these rare gems their focus.

And this particular one is quite rare. CGC Census shows only 22 out of 869 graded 105's are this variant, or 2.53%. With ours those numbers will change ever so slightly to 23 out of 870 or 2.64%. I'd say that still qualifies as pretty rare. :)

This copy like so many of the era is in very decent shape. There aren't any hidden defects to disclose. Pretty much what you see is what you get.

Since we're not variant collectors ourselves we plan on selling it so that somebody who'll truly appreciate it may add it to their collection where it will be more fitting. But without a grade it's hard to determine the value. Hopefully the lovely folks here on the board can help steer us in the right direction.

So what do you think? Can you spare a grade? Thank you in advance for your time and thoughtful feedback.

X-Men_105-A_100dpi_1_zpsgt8x9awg.jpg

X-Men_105-A_100dpi_2_zpskhapiigf.jpg

Thanks PointFive...welcome to you too it would appear!

You're right it does present very nicely. The corners are groan-inducing in a book like this. But as I was discussing with somebody earlier when it comes to determining the value for this type of book it doesn't behave as you might expect a regular book to do. Nor should it. Condition, while important of course, isn't the only consideration and should matter less. Why? Scarcity. And the only way to diminish that is for additional copies to surface or for the number of enthusiasts hunting down these rarities to diminish...neither of which seems likely.

Take the X-Men 35 Cent Trifecta and how much rarer the 35 cent issue is than even the highest graded copies for that issue (except 9.8's for 107).

X-Men Trifecta Ownership Opportunities for Unique or Rare Issue Types

Title, Issue = Regular - 35 Cent - 9.8 Regular - 9.6 Regular

[*]X-Men 105 = 847 - 22 - 69 - 161

[*]X-Men 106 = 758 - 23 - 56 - 160

[*]X-Men 107 = 562 - 18 - 23 - 90

For the 105 and 106 you're about three times as likely to come across a 9.8 and eight times as likely to find a 9.6. For the 107 it's tough to find a 35 cent OR a 9.8 but you're four times as likely to locate a 9.6 as one of the differently-priced copies.

Currently there is no such thing as a 35 cent #107 graded at 9.8 but if you ever find one? Celebrate! Because you just found a unicorn!

You're right it does present very nicely. The corners are groan-inducing in a book like this. But as I was discussing with somebody earlier when it comes to determining the value for this type of book it doesn't behave as you might expect a regular book to do. Nor should it. Condition, while important of course, isn't the only consideration and should matter less. Why? Scarcity. And the only way to diminish that is for additional copies to surface or for the number of enthusiasts hunting down these rarities to diminish...neither of which seems likely.

Take the X-Men 35 Cent Trifecta and how much rarer the 35 cent issue is than even the highest graded copies for that issue (except 9.8's for 107).

For the 105 and 106 you're about three times as likely to come across a 9.8 and eight times as likely to find a 9.6. For the 107 it's tough to find a 35 cent OR a 9.8 but you're four times as likely to locate a 9.6 as one of the differently-priced copies.

Currently there is no such thing as a 35 cent #107 graded at 9.8 but if you ever find one? Celebrate! Because you just found a unicorn!

I think you should be cautious using the cgc census for this type of data analysis. Numbers for high grade examples are highly inaccurate due to the crack, press and resub game.

The census numbers are not a good indication of how many of these books exist. I have the 35 cent X-men run unslabbed, and I am sure many others do too. It is pointless to slab a variant unless you want it for your registry set or think it might be the highest in the census.

A good example is Inhumans #12 - 35 cent. Census says there are only 4, but I have 3 raws sitting in a short box right now. I am sure there are other hoarders here who have more than that.

Forget the census numbers, X-men #105-35 cent is a great book to have and there is plenty of interest in this book. Auction it raw.