• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To resubmit or not to resubmit, that is the question

35 posts in this topic

Ok, so I bought an X-men #59 9.4, and decided to add the sigs of Stan Lee and Neal Adams.

Well...it came back a 9.2 after the sigs were added.

Graders notes read as such:

Right Bottom Front Cover Wear

Top Back Cover Bend

Top Front Cover Bend

Either the bend was ok on a 9.4 before or the bend is new, somehow. My real question is, getting rid of the bends, would that generate a 9.4 or a 9.6? If it's a 9.6 its an easy decision to press and regrade. A 9.4 I'd have to evaluate that closely.

6ss37b.jpg

250o19s.jpg

What do you guys think? Thanks!

Why does it matter if it is a 9.2 or higher? Are you planning to resell?

Also, this probably belongs in the "grading" section of the boards.

To your question, based on the scan, it "might" press out. Hard to tell without a larger and higher quality image.

Going by the graders notes, I'd crack, press, and re-sub. Hard to see the front wear, but it doesn't look severe enough to keep it from a 9.6 if those other bends were addressed. Let us know how it goes!

There can't be that big of a reason to get it pressed and then graded yet again.. put it in your box and move on .....

+1

agreed just keep it as is...it's a very nice book. Nice eye appeal

Going by the graders notes, I'd crack, press, and re-sub. Hard to see the front wear, but it doesn't look severe enough to keep it from a 9.6 if those other bends were addressed. Let us know how it goes!

Just checking but if he was to crack and resub, wouldn't this then get a GLOD since those signatures would then be unverified? The only way to keep the Yellow Label would be to submit it in the case, but then they would likely just grade it a 9.2 again.

There can't be that big of a reason to get it pressed and then graded yet again.. put it in your box and move on .....

Sure there is.

It's called the registry.

you are correct

I just checked and yes the registry point values almost double and triple or so

425 =9.2

875 =9.4

1325 =9.6

if one does value the registry points I can see them trying to get the original grade back if he has disposable income

Though there is a glare, the bottom right of the front cover looks to have a crease, probably color breaking. Perhaps that is what CGC referred to as a 'bend' in the notes. If that 'bend' is color breaking I'm actually surprised you got a 9.2, normally that is 9.0 tops.

Additionally, even if you put this in the PGM thread, nobody here will be able to tell you definitively what the book will grade on a press and resub. A big chunk of the value on this book is the signatures, nicely placed by the way. I wouldn't chance smearing them.

Sure there is.

It's called the registry.

Unless he uses a different name, his books are not in the Registry.

Ok, so I bought an X-men #59 9.4, and decided to add the sigs of Stan Lee and Neal Adams.

Well...it came back a 9.2 after the sigs were added.

Graders notes read as such:

Right Bottom Front Cover Wear

Top Back Cover Bend

Top Front Cover Bend

Either the bend was ok on a 9.4 before or the bend is new, somehow. My real question is, getting rid of the bends, would that generate a 9.4 or a 9.6? If it's a 9.6 its an easy decision to press and regrade. A 9.4 I'd have to evaluate that closely.

6ss37b.jpg

250o19s.jpg

What do you guys think? Thanks!

Yeah, I see the bend on the front cover.I'd look up the grader's notes on the book , under its' former 9.4 grade certification number, to see if the grader's notes indicate there was a bend in those two spots.

If the bends did not exist previously, and you did not crack the slab yourself.....then consider who could have caused the bends and proceed accordingly.If someone mishandled my books, I would not be a happy camper.

After you figure that one out...I would say that the bends do not break color*, for the most part and that I think, once pressed, the book would likely get a 9.6.

It appears as though there is a small amount of color flecking above the "E" in X-MEN, that extends about 2/3 of the way thru the first arch of the "N" in X-MEN....which I would say is a direct result of the bending.

Good luck, in any event.

Just checking but if he was to crack and resub, wouldn't this then get a GLOD since those signatures would then be unverified? The only way to keep the Yellow Label would be to submit it in the case, but then they would likely just grade it a 9.2 again.

According to the CGC rules someone could still send this to CCS or Joey for pressing and still retain the yellow SS label.