• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Legend of Conan movie

41 posts in this topic

only if the guy can act and has the presence needed.

It is why I have always felt Arnold was the perfect Conan in Conan the Barbarian, he has the physical look and the presence.

I agree. He has to be someone that as soon as he strides out on the battlefield, you know that is Conan.

How The Legend Of Conan Begins

legend-of-conan-195073.jpg

Screenwriter Will Beall recently spoke to SlashFilm about where the project stands at the moment, and that it will definitely start right where the original film left off.

“It opens there,” Beall said. “It opens with this [hand on the chin]. It’s where you have to. It’s the sequel that we were promised and never got. I’m 11 when my father took me to see Conan the Barbarian which you should never take an 11-year-old kid to. It was a life changing thing. It’s an unbelievable movie. It comes back to [director John] Milius, right? There’s nobody better and it’s a real movie. It’s a truthful movie. Chris and I from the very beginning said there’s no reason to do it unless it’s a worthy sequel to Milius’s Conan and I think we’ve got that. I really do.”

The film remains in development, but Beall and Chris Morgan are hopeful that it will eventually go into production and thinks they already have a solid foundation.

“Chris and I are continuing to hone,” Beall said. “I think that’s going to be a great movie actually.”

I think a 69 year old Arnold is perfect as it's obvious you need an older actor to play the part of King Conan. A younger actor wouldn't work.

After all, he wasn't 30 or 40 when he took the throne but probably in his late 50's or early '60's.

Not sure if 70 year old Arnold is what is needed to revive this franchise. A director with a clear vision would be a good start.

and a well written story.

If Arnold is in good enough shape to do what is required he will do a good job.

I am all for a King Conan tale.

Arnold is defintely the right age to adapt Conan of the Isles!! :idea:

THE LEGEND OF CONAN isn't happening, says writer

While talking with EW about next week’s THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS, writer Chris Morgan (who was working on a -script from Will Beall) shared an update on the movie, informing them that the studio has decided to go another way:

"Not so much. That’s kind of a longer story. At the end of the day, the studio decided that they weren’t gonna make that. I gotta say, it’s honestly a heartbreak. I love that first movie so much, so much, it’s one of my favorite movies. We had Will Beall do a draft on [the Legend of Conan -script]. He killed it. Our take was Conan, 30 years later, a story like the Clint Eastwood Unforgiven. It was so awesome. Ultimately, the budget was big, the studio was not really sure of the title, and the relevance in the marketplace. They ended up letting it go. I think they’re gonna look to do a TV show or something with it. But just to be associated with it, pitch it to Arnold, have him get so excited, there was a moment of magic for me, personally [laughs]. You never know, down the road we may revisit!"

Beall is of course tackling AQUAMAN, and was just hired to do the remake of CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, so he's not hurting for work, but his idea for THE LEGEND OF CONAN apparently won't see the light of day at this point. This comes off words from Schwarzenegger in the past, who conveyed his excitement saying the story “WILL be told and that movie WILL be done.”

I think what killed it was how bad the last Conan movie did at the box office.

Conan the Barbarian (2011)

Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic: $21,295,021   43.6%

+ Foreign: $27,500,000   56.4%

= Worldwide: $48,795,021

That is real bad when you consider the new Power Rangers movie doubled that in about two weeks, and people consider Power Rangers a luke-warm hit at best.

The best thing for Conan is to get a TV show kind of like in the Game of Thrones spirit to develop a bigger audience than go make a new movie.

Conan is starting to slip into that Lone Ranger, Flash Gordon and The Shadow category once big,but not known to new generations.

This is concerning to me because Conan is in my top three characters. 

8 hours ago, quillandtankard said:

I could see a TV show working but preferably an HBO or Showtime that can do Howard's world justice.

Good vision on your part.

Conan the Barbarian TV Series Planned; Legend of Conan Still Possible

Hyboria.jpg?auto=format&cs=tinysrgb&q=20

The Legend of Conan producer and President & CEO of Cabinet Entertainment Fredrik Malmberg has now assured The Arnold Fans that the project’s death isn’t permanent:

"We were very excited and spent years working with Chris Morgan to make Legend of Conan. Ultimately, the studio let the rights expire. The positive news is that Conan Properties now controls everything again, and are currently producing both TV and Film with a lot more control than we had previously. Everybody wants The Legend of Conan to happen and it will."

So not only is The Legend of Conan film still in the cards, but a television series is too. Malmberg also revealed that the idea is for the television series to tie into the film, creating more of a cinematic universe rather than separate projects. This isn’t the first time he teased the shared Conan universe idea. He also has no interest in toning down the violence of the television series, saying that:

"[It will be] a premium cable show for mature audiences. We are forming a creative hub to coordinate all these various efforts with a cohesive creative direction."

On 1/29/2016 at 8:03 PM, Bosco685 said:

I agree. He has to be someone that as soon as he strides out on the battlefield, you know that is Conan.

Yeah. Like...they should totally cast that guy playing Aquaman.

(:

28 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Yeah. Like...they should totally cast that guy playing Aquaman.

(:

What a shame that was. With a better -script, that could have been one heck of a good movie.

I think the nail in Conan's coffin was actually not the 2011 reboot, but actually 2014's Hercules.

It's an analagous period action flick starring The Rock, arguably one of the last contemporary A-list muscle men.

I'm hard-pressed to think of a known movie star who would make a better Conan than The Rock. 

But Hercules probably *just* hit break-even to barely pass into profitability.

It grossed less than $245 million worldwide ($73 domestic; $172 foreign) on a $100 million budget.

Even Vin Diesel's XXX: Return of Xander Cage was more profitable, despite grossing less than $45 million in the U.S.

And that's the bigger issue: American tastes have moved on from the muscle-bound action heroes of the '80s.

Yeah - Stallone was able to sell two _great_ homages to '80s action stars with his first two Expendables flicks.

But today's action heroes are Downey, Jr., DiCaprio, Wahlberg, Denzel, and yes - still Tom Cruise -- but simply not Conan types.

Edited by Gatsby77

Conan doesn't need to be portrayed by a muscle-bound freak like Arnie or the Rock.

He is not really depicted that way in much of Howard's work especially the adventures earlier in the timeline.

The general public just perceives him this way because of the awful Milius/Schwarzeneger rendition.

Edited by quillandtankard

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

I think the nail in Conan's coffin was actually not the 2011 reboot, but actually 2014's Hercules.

It's an analagous period action flick starring The Rock, arguably one of the last contemporary A-list muscle men.

I'm hard-pressed to think of a known movie star who would make a better Conan than The Rock. 

But Hercules probably *just* hit break-even to barely pass into profitability.

It grossed less than $245 million worldwide ($73 domestic; $172 foreign) on a $100 million budget.

Even Vin Diesel's XXX: Return of Xander Cage was more profitable, despite grossing less than $45 million in the U.S.

And that's the bigger issue: American tastes have moved on from the muscle-bound action heroes of the '80s.

Yeah - Stallone was able to sell two _great_ homages to '80s action stars with his first two Expendables flicks.

But today's action heroes are Downey, Jr., DiCaprio, Wahlberg, Denzel, and yes - still Tom Cruise -- but simply not Conan types.

Agreed, The James Bond look is in, and unfortunately the Arnie look is out.

They should look for a Barry Smith type of Conan,than the Arnie version for modern audiences.

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Agreed, The James Bond look is in, and unfortunately the Arnie look is out.

They should look for a Barry Smith type of Conan,than the Arnie version for modern audiences.

Maybe...but I'd argue that Momoa actually looked the Barry Smith part in that movie, albeit w/ longer & greasier hair.

He's huge _now_ but he actually had a far more wiry frame for his 6'4" height back in 2011.

And he's on record as saying he never really lifted until he started prepping for Conan in 2010.

Also, Conan may have bombed, but it also arguably made his career, as that role (and the beefing up) got him cast on Game of Thrones.

Before Conan, he was a B-level TV player in Baywatch and Stargate: Atlantis. But after Conan, he's suddenly in GOT and starring opposite Stallone.