• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNBREAKABLE TV show (maybe)

9 posts in this topic

M. Night Shyamalan Wants To Do An Unbreakable TV Show

If there’s basically zero chance of a theatrical sequel, heading to TV would be the next best route to take. Superhero stories have been enjoying success on television over the last several years, from the CW’s The Flash to ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and even more are on the way including Legends of Tomorrow and Heroes Reborn. Since it’s hard to picture an Unbreakable series being green-lit for one of the broadcast networks, Shyamalan seems to have a good idea in terms of thinking of HBO or Netflix as a possible home. Not only do are these platforms more comfortable with doing shorter seasons, but typically they allow for more creative freedom.

Making the series a limited-run also gives Shyamalan a better chance of bringing back the original actors. It’s extremely doubtful that Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson would commit to a full season given their busy film schedules, but if the show doesn’t last too long and has plenty of prestige surrounding it, they might have more interest in reprising their roles. It could be similar to how HBO’s True Detective is recruiting big names for each of its seasons. If Willis and Jackson aren’t keen on returning, then the project could always go the soft relaunch route and introduce new characters living in the same world.

:wishluck:

Samuel L. Jackson Would Love To Do An Unbreakable Sequel

“People talk to me about that movie all the time,” Samuel L. Jackson, who portrayed mentor and villain Elijah Price/Mr. Glass, remarked to EW. “Night’s still around. Bruce is still around. I’m still around. And I’d love to break out of the asylum.”

A sequel would largely hinges on if writer-director M. Night Shyamalan can come up with an angle that is worthy of its predecessor. “I don’t know,” Shyamalan pondered. “Maybe there’s an interest right now in the underlying struggles and fantasies that are being fulfilled in comic books and not being fulfilled in the real world.”

I still want to know the story behind that ending. Completely fantastic movie that just suddenly ends with a text description of what happened afterwards. What the HELL?!?!?! ???

156493.jpg.90150392de5fe4640c2478f94f8a20d3.jpg

I still want to know the story behind that ending. Completely fantastic movie that just suddenly ends with a text description of what happened afterwards. What the HELL?!?!?! ???

Do not open: if you have not seen the movie!

For me, I thought the key emotional climax happened after he found out Mr. Glass was insane. It was part of his arc. We didn't need the movie dragged out futher with some investigation, arrest, quick trial, and shots of him in a straightjacket, with Bruce back with his family. People have complained about Psycho's ending for five and a half decades now too. A lot of folks think it should have stopped when Sam stopped Norman (dressed as Norma) from killing Vera Miles character. People were in shock and would have demanded more, but they chose to wind the movie down explaining his condition.

We didn't need the movie dragged out futher with some investigation, arrest, quick trial, and shots of him in a straightjacket, with Bruce back with his family.

Agreed entirely--none of that was necessary, nor have any superhero film done anything like that. But the movie skipped the denouement--it climaxed, then suddenly ended. Awful! Fantastic right up until then though.

We didn't need the movie dragged out futher with some investigation, arrest, quick trial, and shots of him in a straightjacket, with Bruce back with his family.

Agreed entirely--none of that was necessary, nor have any superhero film done anything like that. But the movie skipped the denouement--it climaxed, then suddenly ended. Awful! Fantastic right up until then though.

I totally get what you mean, but I found is surprisingly retro.

The filmmaker just stops the movie dead and says "That's it, folks! Thanks for coming".

Like those 70's true-crime movies like Helter Skelter "Charles Manson was found guilty of the murders of... and will spend the rest of his natural life...". You have to use your imagination for what comes next basically.

Those God-awful TV movies of the mid to late 90's employed this technique to their true crime serials like the "Baby Brokers" too.

M. Night Shyamalan Reveals If Unbreakable 2 is Happening

split-movie-ending-spoilers-bruce-willis-unbreakable-sequel-226080.jpg

Speaking with EW about the revelations of...

...Split's ending...

...M. Night Shyamalan confirmed that he has a "robust outline" for the Unbreakable 2 -script, and that he's committing to work on it soon. When asked specifically if the sequel is going to be made, Shyamalan answered, "I hope so. The answer is yes. I’m just such a wimp sometimes. I don’t know what’s going to happen when I go off in my room, a week after this film opens, to write the -script. But I’m going to start writing."

He later added that - despite the sixteen years of potential brainstorming time - getting that -script right may be a challenge: "...now the standards for my outlines are higher. I need to know I’ve won already. I’m almost there but I’m not quite there."

So this could go from a TV show concept to an actual movie.