• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RESTORING AMAING FANTASY 15

26 posts in this topic

I also wanted a nice looking restored copy over a beat-to-mess rag:

17692400884_9f295a3735_z.jpg

Great example!

There are some talented restoration experts out there that can make this happen!

Word of caution though - the resale price on an extensively restored book is usually around 25% of blue label (maybe a little less if trimmed) and extensive restoration can set you back $1,000 or more. Net, it isn't always an easy numbers game!

I'm having my copy of ASM 1 restored (pics below). Based on what I spent on it and resto, if it ended anywhere near this auction I'd be fine and then some. Mike at Hero Restoration seems to think he could get mine a bit better too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Amazing-Spider-Man-1-Mar-1963-Marvel-CGC-4-0-R-estored-/111525604353?ssPageName=ADME%3AB%3AWNA%3AUS%3A1653&nma=true&si=7WwR7vgGCFbJW9bApJ56e766FfU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Pics are gone, but the description doesn't sound to different from mine.

Here's my cover:

DSC00699_zpsa3dc483c.jpg

Now granted I'll never sell mine.

So to the OP, it all depends on the original cost of your book, the amount the resto will cost, and then what you plan to do with it.

Thank you very much for your help!

Is it worth restoring if the CGC notes read "slightly brittle pages"? I guess the pages can not be restored but, the cover can improve ?

Thank you!

Almost assuredly not. On a silver age book, especially one as readily available as AF 15, slightly brittle pages will cause a negative bump on the price. If a regular Extensive Restoration copy gets 25% of blue label price, then assume a slightly brittle page copy to sell for 15-20% of blue label price.

Slightly brittle pages translates to dump and run in my opinion. Forgetting 'value' we are talking about a book ready to turn into a pile of paper chips.

The problem with how CGC determines restored books is that if someone drops a marker anywhere near the printed color on the cover that is within five spaces on the color wheel it notes it as restored. I would rather have a small amount of color touch on the cover netting the book a 5.5 restored over a 1.0 blue.

However... brittle pages? No thanks.