• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard Magazine caused the '90's Comics Collapse -- now they're after Comic Cons

43 posts in this topic

Also, wizard's ticket prices weren't bad for chicago if you bought the four day. It's the single day passes that are pricey.

True but other then hardcore dealers who has 4 days available to attend a show let along want to spend 4 days shopping for books.

I love a four day show, especially Chicago, and get plenty of value out of a four day pass. Lately my strategy is:

Thursday = spend 75-80% of my budget on bigger books I can get a reasonable price on, basically wall shopping only, and get the lay of the land

Friday = start hitting boxes for better books, get my autographs

Saturday = avoid like the plague, too crowded

Sunday = finish up autographs, dive in cheapie boxes, look for deals on statues/TPBs

I like that plan. Saturday's are crazy. I try to keep my wall book spending to Sunday but if there's a HTF book or something that might not last the weekend I'm after, I'm going after it on Day 1. Day 1 of a comicon you get first crack at all the good stuff, though some dealers do bring in more inventory on Day 2 and 3.

On the one hand I don't like the WW high prices and bully tactics, on the other hand, it does mean more frequent big shows with larger dealers and autograph opportunities with some decent celebs when they are able to book them. I won't go if the celebs are lame and the dealer list is lacking.

I like the local shows but they tend to get stale. The problem with the small local shows is I'll see the same stuff from the same dealers, the selection is limited and they don't always bring out the best wall books. Oh and they aren't that local for me. I have to drive 40 miles to the nearest "local" show and even if admission is only $1, it sucks to sit in traffic for 2 hours on an 80 mile round trip and search through the same stuff I saw the last 3 times I was there and go home empty or with a mercy purchase to try and justify the effort of going.

Just horrible. THREE comic dealers at the show.

Indy wasn't much better.

Sacramento 2014 was, I believe, seven comic dealers.

We have long considered Sacramento. Do you think it is an opportunity for a promoter interested in a comic book related comic con?