• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help with a scan sent by one of the "Big Boys"

31 posts in this topic

There's a group of high-grade guys on here who ALWAYS undergrade other people's books. At least one of those people I've noticed doesn't do the same thing to the books they sell in their own auctions. tongue.gif

I guess they do it for a similar reason to whatever the thinking is behind those people who give straight 1-star ratings to 98% of the people on here...and because they'd rather be known as an undergrader on CGC's boards than an overgrader.

I don't think a Fine is undergrading at all. You have to look at the accumulation of defects. First of all, it would get VF+ if the bottom left corner was the only problem. But then, you also have the spine lines, which are quite long and break the color. So that with the left corner would be VF-. Then, you add the creasing along the top, a crease on the right side (at the bottom of the blue), none of the corners are square. I think a 7.0 is right on target.

Just to put my two cents worth in here...

I compared this book with a couple of VF books that I have and this book has flaws that exceed the limit on a VF grade in accordance with my comparison...therefore I would have to say a F/VF or a F+ would be a fair assesment what grade CGC would bestow upon this book... wink.gif

Bonds, there are actually 9 or 10 stress cracks, not just a couple. Also, the bottom corners are well-rounded. That's the main reason I personally wouldn't give this book any better than a Fine. Considering the age, maybe a 6.5, but probably not. Overstreet specifically reads a couple stress cracks are allowed in VF, no more. I have a Justice League #7 graded by CGC at a F+ and it looks a lot nicer than this one. Hope this helps you understand.

Ericc123 - smart move to turn it down.

I've got CGC 8.5's that are much worse than this book. I would have no problem at all with it being 8.0-8.5. And as glossy as this cover is, I don't find much fault with Metropolis calling it a 9.0.